Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

a/c mobile units

a/c mobile units

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

karmasue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a/c mobile units

Wondered if anyone has a mobile a/c unit? I have been looking at them in Leroy Merlin and wondering whether to buy one. But one thing puzzles me, where does the pipe for the waste heat go from it, because if you have to open the window and put the pipe through like with a tumble dryer surely that will let the cool heat out and the hot air in? Can anyone help me on this one?? And are they any good?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a/c mobile units

Hi

Yes I have one (don´t use it much though - its not hot enough ). there is a pipe to the outside that fits onto a flange. the flange extends upwards to fill the height of the window. you then close the window onto the extending flange making it watertight / mosquito / fly etc.

So yes they work, not rocket science

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Mar 24th 2011 at 8:32 pm. Reason: typos
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Davexf but just another question, our windows open like doors so any idea how that will work?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:14 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one and took it straight back the next day and ordered a proper one. That's how I ended up paying nearly €700 for it but it was well worth it as they took the portable one back no questions asked then, portable ones are not cheap I think mine was about €300, it was crap, didn't cool much, had to have the window open with the hot air streaming in, and it was very noisy, The cheapest proper one is 10 times better IMO.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I bought one and took it straight back the next day and ordered a proper one. That's how I ended up paying nearly €700 for it but it was well worth it as they took the portable one back no questions asked then, portable ones are not cheap I think mine was about €300, it was crap, didn't cool much, had to have the window open with the hot air streaming in, and it was very noisy, The cheapest proper one is 10 times better IMO.
Same story for us we still have the portable one but never use it, far too noisy. Bought a fixed one and that is ok.

Graham
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes it´s possible; I tape mine with masking tape (sliding window). You would have to arrange a segment shaped piece of cloth for the top and bottom, easily taped but may not look "good".

Yes they are a noisier than a proper unit which has the fan etc outside; I was offered mine very cheap 100€. It will dehumidify too, but I have two dehumidifiers so don´t need it except in the hotest weather, say two or three weeks a year; but each to their own.

The advantage to me is if I have visitors in the hot season. I can simply move it into their bedroom.

Davexf
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmasue
Thanks Davexf but just another question, our windows open like doors so any idea how that will work?
fit a wall vent and vent it out of the wall.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. Looks like I will have to wait until I can afford the real thing, as for the visitors - well if I have to sweat it out so can they
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:09 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmasue
Thanks all. Looks like I will have to wait until I can afford the real thing, as for the visitors - well if I have to sweat it out so can they
Ha the real thing will probably be cheaper, carrefor do one (or did) fitted for about €180 I also have one of these, it's just as good as my €700 one.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
fit a wall vent and vent it out of the wall.
We have a portable, and you have the alternetive to have a hole in the wall to vent it out of.

They work perfectly well if you stick them out the window, you just have to seal around it ok.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
We have a portable, and you have the alternetive to have a hole in the wall to vent it out of.

They work perfectly well if you stick them out the window, you just have to seal around it ok.
But don't both ways defy the point of being portable?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

yes but if you have opening in windows and you have the tube out of the window.and yes you have sealed the gap.depending on your house and area you could have an entry point for burgulers
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
But don't both ways defy the point of being portable?
I can shove it in any room I please, and I can have a wall vent in any room I please, or stick it out the window. One mobile unit covers a multitude of uses, and as a backyup to a 'proper ' one, it's useful.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:44 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by betris
yes but if you have opening in windows and you have the tube out of the window.and yes you have sealed the gap.depending on your house and area you could have an entry point for burgulers
Only teeny weeny ones that can climb thru the bars.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a certain poster would turn up without his carjack, now he knows who has open windows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.