Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying spanish registered vehicle in UK

Buying spanish registered vehicle in UK

Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Stanleysdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying spanish registered vehicle in UK

Hi, I'm moving to Spain in Oct and need to drive over because I have a Cocker spaniel dog to bring with me. I'm thinking of buying a Spanish registered vehicle in uk and driving it over. What documentation do I need to ensure I get with the vehicle?
Old Jul 20th 2022, 6:44 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying spanish registered vehicle in UK

Be very careful. If previous owner did not pay, fines stay with the vehicle. Documents can be forged.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

To check what Missile is warning you about, just ask the owner to show the info of the car from their miDGT app. I've yet to meet someone who doesn't use it so if they say they can only show you paperwork, walk away. I have no clue as to how you would register it but I'm sure the answer will appear on here soon. I'd take a guess it's probably cheaper and easier to just buy a UK registered LHD car and register it here later.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 7:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanleysdad
Hi, I'm moving to Spain in Oct and need to drive over because I have a Cocker spaniel dog to bring with me. I'm thinking of buying a Spanish registered vehicle in uk and driving it over. What documentation do I need to ensure I get with the vehicle?
Will you be taking a ferry to Spain or driving through France?
Apart from the valid documentation for the car, have you researched insurance and the correct paperwork for your dog, for arrival and travel through France?
Old Jul 20th 2022, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanleysdad
I don't think that you can drive a Spanish registered car in the UK, or France, if you're a UK resident. https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...porary-imports
For anyone to drive the car it would need to be street legal the the registered country, Spain, which would mean current ITV (Spanish MOT), Insurance, road tax (Sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica or IVTM) and the Permiso de circulacion. The Spanish police have access to a computer system (FIVA) and they are able to check the legality of the vehicle at the roadside.

As Missile mentions, all debts stay with the car, so you may find that as the new owner you'll become liable for any unpaid fines, taxes etc.
Becoming the new owner would also be a little tricky, as this needs to be registered with the DGT in Spain.

It would be easier & safer to buy a LHD UK registered car can get it matriculated onto Spanish plates as part of your residency process.

Old Jul 20th 2022, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

There are some reliable honest LHD foreign registered car dealers about in the UK who have the paperwork sorted and will ensure everything is OK.On the other hand there are cowboys so you need to be careful.If you are buying it from a private individual then you are probably shooting yourself in the foot. Whilst not knowing the ins and outs of Spanish vehicle registration being in France I have seen so many expats buy a french reg from a returning expat only to find that they cannot change ownership details as the seller was not the person on the reg doc or the car was seized due to unpaid fines unpaid finance etc
Apart from this a permanent resident cannot own a foreign registered vehicle apart from the period allowed to re register it.Also how will you get it insured?
Likewise never buy a UK reg vehicle in the EU for similar reasons.
If it is a private seller then get them to register the vehicle in the UK then sell it to you on UK plates.You can then re register it in Spain and you will have a proper paperwork trail
Old Jul 20th 2022, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Might be cheaper to buy a cheap British reg car for a one way trip then legally scrap it in Spain.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
If it is a private seller then get them to register the vehicle in the UK then sell it to you on UK plates.You can then re register it in Spain and you will have a proper paperwork trail
The above is possible the best advice ever..
Old Jul 20th 2022, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Barriej I think a lot of Brits underestimate how important bits of paper are in EU countries.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Might be cheaper to buy a cheap British reg car for a one way trip then legally scrap it in Spain.
Agree here, there is a scrap company near us who paid just under €1200 for a car that cost £300 on eBay in the UK and was used to move here a month or so ago by someone in our village.
They were gobsmacked and the scrap company basically does the paperwork and they then strip the car of all useful parts and then crush the rest which is then melted down for reuse.

If you are going to do this, make sure its a model thats in common usage here as the scrap value will be higher because its easier to shift the parts.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 4:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

That is similar to our experience. Drove a Polo from UK, used it until we got a Spanish car then sold it to a dealer.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

andrewg212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unncesssarily very limited choice. Just buy a UK registered car and carefully research the cost of importing and switching to Spanish registration.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 3:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewg212
Unncesssarily very limited choice. Just buy a UK registered car and carefully research the cost of importing and switching to Spanish registration.
Now a VERY costly exercise.

And you end up with a vehicle with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side. I didn't mind this but many do, plus, the future sale price will be lower because of this

Old Dec 12th 2022, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

andrewg212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right-hand drive is neither a plus nor a minus when driving, just a personal preference. The sale will be appprox. 20% less than if it were a left-hand drive, but do you buy with the intention of selling in a relatively short period of time? Besides cars purchased in the UK tend to be 2-3 times more expensive to buy in Spain (I am told so can not verify).
Old Dec 13th 2022, 12:23 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by andrewg212
Right-hand drive is neither a plus nor a minus when driving, just a personal preference. The sale will be appprox. 20% less than if it were a left-hand drive, but do you buy with the intention of selling in a relatively short period of time? Besides cars purchased in the UK tend to be 2-3 times more expensive to buy in Spain (I am told so can not verify).
RHD is very inconvenient when trying to pay toll and parking and dangerous when trying to overtake.
Used cars are slightly more expensive, but not 2-3 times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.