Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a Spanish computer - is this a problem?

Buying a Spanish computer - is this a problem?

Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Spanish computer - is this a problem?

Originally Posted by megmet
Having done that in the past I'm inclined to think it's not worth it!

Probably a good clear out of all the unnecessary things on the PC that we all acquire over time would do the same as installing more ram.
It's often the case when adding ram that it's not really the answer and doesn't improve the PC as much as you might wish.

Another point to remember is that not all ram is equal.....make sure that you're buying the correct kind.
noted Meg
only buy Kingston, always buy in identical pairs, if you try to mix one faster, larger the system will revert to the lowest.

as I remember the ZX80/81 era and writing programs for same I find the modern progs too heavy for their own (and our) good, forcing us into a memory upgrade chase.
giving a blank file a name in Word uses over 20k before you even put a full stop in place. and I have a couple of other very heavy business progs on the pc.
so I will go for the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb RAM to ease the pressure on the machine after all, €35 isnt too much when I have spent €150 for UPS due to the crappy electricity supply from Endesa. (We even had a complaint levied by the local mayor reported in the paper as some estimations are the area is being hit by up to 10 cuts per day, although I have been getting 2 per day)

`
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so I will go for the upgrade from 1gb to 2gb RAM to ease the pressure on the machine
Wow, yes that would be an idea
I'm running 8gb of RAM
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:51 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
That is interesting as it only used to be possible to switch languages via expensive upgrades to Windows Ultimate. About time - most other software has had free language options for ages.
I finally got round to installing a Spanish copy of Windows 8 today. A nice simple install and then you just go to settings and download an English version which you then set as the default language, reboot and it's all in English.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Wow, yes that would be an idea
I'm running 8gb of RAM
I was just going to say the very same thing!

I too am running 8gb of ram and in fact as far back as 1998 I was on 4gb.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:34 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like I have some catching up to do, but existing PC won't take more than 2gb RAM.

want to keep this one soldiering on until we have found a house and have better control of the power, the environment etc than we do have with this rental, then the intention is to get the max possible and future proofed - for the first 6months before something else comes along

have just had the rechargeable batts in the wireless mouse fail, GGRRHH !!

and ANOTHER power cut (thank you Endesa) and the MCB on the UPS circuit didnt want to go back in...............

think I will have to get my basic signals notes out and start practising my semaphore
we are in a village that had an Islamic signal tower at the highest point....