Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a second hand car

Buying a second hand car

Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future
Default Buying a second hand car

If I buy a car and the road tax has not been paid for two or three years do I as the new owner have to pay it. Also if the car has parking fines from the previous owner do I then have to pay these.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a second hand car

Originally Posted by caroline c
If I buy a car and the road tax has not been paid for two or three years do I as the new owner have to pay it. Also if the car has parking fines from the previous owner do I then have to pay these.
All bills go to the owner on the docs, so if there are any get them to pay them before your name goes on the docs.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

More to the point JDR. How as a buyer can you find out about outstanding fines and such?

Over in the UK, you turn up look at a car, if you want it, you pay the money and drive it away.

In Spain to do that you are opening up a whole can of whup-ass, so how does one buy a car they like, without being lumbered with somebody else's bills?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:33 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
More to the point JDR. How as a buyer can you find out about outstanding fines and such?

Over in the UK, you turn up look at a car, if you want it, you pay the money and drive it away.

In Spain to do that you are opening up a whole can of whup-ass, so how does one buy a car they like, without being lumbered with somebody else's bills?
it will cost more but try buying from a dealer, you have someone between you and the law.
a dealer should be able to confirm a vehicle is debt free, a guy from the pub round the corner will just say its clear cos he wants a sale.

is there not a fail safe legal statement that can be used, I know Spain is very good at legal paperwork in that it has lots of the stuff
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:42 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Very simple - you employ a gestor to do the work for you. As part of this exercise, they can be asked to ensure that there are no fines outstanding and that tax has been paid by asking trafico.

Doesn't cost much but well worth it.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Take a look here:

www.buscamultas.com

It is not always totally up to date though.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Take a look here:

www.buscamultas.com

It is not always totally up to date though.
More relevant, the site says that the only fines it can display are ones shown in public bulletins..... not anything sent through the post. What public bulletins are these and what would be published there and not sent to the person direct? I ask because we quite often have issues with not receiving mail despite having a buzon!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As already said, buy it from a dealer, or get a gestoria (not the one from the guy selling though) to check it out for you before you transfer it to your name.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Fiona, thats the place to look if you have trouble with recieving post
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Fiona, thats the place to look if you have trouble with recieving post
That's not quite what the website said; and what and where are they anyway?
Dangerously close to off topic here!
Anyone want a 5yo Navara?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:19 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I joined RACE (like our RAC) to buy my last second-hand car. They check everything for you, do transfers, as well as providing the normal breakdown, legal service etc. RACE's badge on your car also impresses trafico.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future

Thanks to everybody who replied. So the only way to ensure a car is debt free when buying privately is to use a gestor.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:35 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it your self but it really isn't worth the hassle and you get better peace-of-mind this way.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:30 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Even using a gestor to sell, I have just received a tax bill for a car I sold in 2009 and they made me pay the tax before it went. I gave all the paperwork to the new owner, so it's back to the gestor next week
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Even using a gestor to sell, I have just received a tax bill for a car I sold in 2009 and they made me pay the tax before it went. I gave all the paperwork to the new owner, so it's back to the gestor next week
This depends on when in the tax year the car was sold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.