British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Buying RHD UK plated car prior to UK return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buying-rhd-uk-plated-car-prior-uk-return-639532/)

CostaCookie Nov 7th 2009 6:01 pm

Buying RHD UK plated car prior to UK return

Hi,
I'm sure someone here will know the answer to this.....
We're moving back to UK early Jan & have found a buyer for our LHD car. We've found a RHD here in Spain (UK plates) that we're going to buy & are now trying to sort out insurance. I remember reading that companies here in Spain will take your premium, but if you need to make a claim at some point, they won't pay up as you're not legal on the roads here if you're resident in a UK plated car. The car has a current MOT.
We've always played 100% by the rules & done everything legally, so I'd hate to come unstuck in our last 10 weeks!
Is there anyway round this legally? I'm getting myself really worried about the possibility of being on the road without a valid insurance policy.
Thanks.

VFR Nov 7th 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Buying RHD UK plated car prior to UK return

Knight Insurance (add in CBN) will insure a UK plated car, but be mindful that the car may not have been SORN'ed & the DVLA may come after you for road tax (assuming it has none)

CostaCookie Nov 7th 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, it has tax until Feb next year.

Madridboy Nov 7th 2009 6:53 pm

Also bere in mind that it is quite common for people to steal a UK car or buy a UK car on finance then sell it over here (I fell for the latter a couple of years ago). It only costs a few pounds to run a HPI check and this will tell you if the car's ever been in an accident, been part of an insurance claim, has outstanding finance, been stolen, etc.

CostaCookie Nov 7th 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Madridboy, yes, have done that check as I was concerned there might be some history, but all clear. Thanks for the warning though!

Mitzyboy Nov 7th 2009 7:01 pm

Apart from the legalities which you seemed to have covered, the only problem I see if a Spanish insurance company will cover you once you have returned to the UK for the next 12 months.

CostaCookie Nov 7th 2009 7:06 pm

I plan to cancel the policy from here once I return & take out a UK policy.

lic Nov 7th 2009 8:16 pm

Do you have an address in Uk? or one you could use?
Just insure it with a UK company.

CostaCookie Nov 7th 2009 8:31 pm

I could use my father-in-laws address. I just really worry about insurance & if something happened, they'd go through it all & find out that we weren't UK resident at the time. Hubby always says I think about things too much!

c4cat Nov 7th 2009 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by CostaCookie (Post 8079671)
I could use my father-in-laws address. I just really worry about insurance & if something happened, they'd go through it all & find out that we weren't UK resident at the time. Hubby always says I think about things too much!

t the

If you are returning to the UK you could insure it the address you are returning to through a UK insurer online, these days one can print the docs off the internet. tell the insurer you are buying the car from someone in spain and you are driving the car home