Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA, ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA, ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Storm214 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA, ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Now I am even more confused has anyone else got any input to this? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storm214
Now I am even more confused has anyone else got any input to this? Thanks in advance.
It's all pretty easy. You just have to decide if you'll sign the papers yourself in Spain, so actually travel to Spain to sign the documents in front of the notary to finalise sale, or will you have a power of attorney. Sorry for the confusion, but I thought it was clear now:
I'm taking about the notary to verify your passports if you're not in Spain, not the notary when you sign the papers in Spain (Two different things).
Just googled and had something in a second. Just contact and you'll know.

Spanish Property Lawyer in the UK

Our Services - Jorge Iguacel Spanish Lawyers

Spanish Lawyers | Spanish Solicitors | Property Lawyers | RDT Abogados
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I would rather employ a legal expert who is conversant with the area into which I was buying. If you were relocating from say London to Aberdeen, would you use a solicitor based in London?

FYI:
You don't actually need to employ a layer and many don't.
You cannot use a notary based in the UK (or Germany) to purchase a house in Spain.
You (or your representative with PoA) must be present to complete the purchase in the presence of the Spanish notary. Thus your German based lawyer would have had to travel to Spain.
Actually you can use a UK notary as long as they are a registered 'Notary Public' (few regular UK solicitors are) as this is a professional qualification recognised across EU, although in practical terms it really isn't worth it as all the documents would need to be translated and Apostillated by the FCO and this would take forever and cost a fortune and you would still need a legally competent agent/representative in Spain to handle the conveyancing. It can be handy for witnessing signatures etc to save travelling to Spain at inconvenient times. Check with your local Law Society (google) for notaries near you.

There is actually a notary service at the Spanish Embassy in London if you want to deal face to face. But it can take an age to get an appointment so is not really worth it except in extremis.

As Spanish property law seems to have a lot of local variations it would make sense to ensure that your lawyer belongs to the local legal association, too.

Take advice and recommendations locally and you should be alright - ignore all the horror stories in the UK redtops - they are there to sell papers not to provide legal advice!

PS: My Spanish lawyer calls herself a 'solicitor' on her translated letterheads :-)
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:18 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Actually you can use a UK notary as long as they are a registered 'Notary Public'
I am well aware there are notaries in UK. However, for house purchase in Spain, it is a requirement that both parties signatures are witnessed and notarised by the notary. So how would that work?

PS; If he is not registered as Notary Public .............. he is not a "notary" it is that simple.

Last edited by missile; Nov 18th 2014 at 9:47 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Actually you can use a UK notary as long as they are a registered 'Notary Public' (few regular UK solicitors are) as this is a professional qualification recognised across EU, although in practical terms it really isn't worth it as all the documents would need to be translated and Apostillated by the FCO and this would take forever and cost a fortune and you would still need a legally competent agent/representative in Spain to handle the conveyancing. It can be handy for witnessing signatures etc to save travelling to Spain at inconvenient times. Check with your local Law Society (google) for notaries near you.

There is actually a notary service at the Spanish Embassy in London if you want to deal face to face. But it can take an age to get an appointment so is not really worth it except in extremis.

As Spanish property law seems to have a lot of local variations it would make sense to ensure that your lawyer belongs to the local legal association, too.

Take advice and recommendations locally and you should be alright - ignore all the horror stories in the UK redtops - they are there to sell papers not to provide legal advice!

PS: My Spanish lawyer calls herself a 'solicitor' on her translated letterheads :-)
Yes Notary Public was the term. The solicitor we used in Spain needed our passports verified, so we had to drive to a notary and also needed an apostille. We then sent all the documents to our lawyer in Spain. We could have done everything here because the guy who verified our signatures was a solicitor & notary public. It was still an easy process, but just would have saved time.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Storm,

I'd recommend a lawyer in Spain. Under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK.

You'll have to visit the place you buy in to view properties, while there ask people who already live there. There will be a good local lawyer with a track record of successful property transfers. Do not sit in the UK googling for such.

As for the confusion about what is and is not a notary, all you need to know is that there is one official notary involved and you don't get to choose him. You will meet him, briefly, and your lawyer will be present.

I don't know why people think a UK Notary is needed to check passports. What you will have to do is get an NIE which is a number you need before you can complete a purchase. Do this when in Spain viewing properties. You'll need your passport and after that no further use of your passport is necessary. NIE's are charged for but it's very cheap. The offices where you get an NIE are sometimes limited to Spanish only so some people choose to take a Spanish speaker with them.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
Storm,

I'd recommend a lawyer in Spain. Under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK.

You'll have to visit the place you buy in to view properties, while there ask people who already live there. There will be a good local lawyer with a track record of successful property transfers. Do not sit in the UK googling for such.

As for the confusion about what is and is not a notary, all you need to know is that there is one official notary involved and you don't get to choose him. You will meet him, briefly, and your lawyer will be present.

I don't know why people think a UK Notary is needed to check passports. What you will have to do is get an NIE which is a number you need before you can complete a purchase. Do this when in Spain viewing properties. You'll need your passport and after that no further use of your passport is necessary. NIE's are charged for but it's very cheap. The offices where you get an NIE are sometimes limited to Spanish only so some people choose to take a Spanish speaker with them.
It doesn't matter where the solicitor is. You could go to a local solicitor in Spain, but he might know the person selling and won't tell you everything. The solicitor we used got us the NIE numbers for €50 and a flight out would have cost us more, so it's just personal choice. It's always best to get an architect or surveyor to check the property anyway and doing your research is just common sense. Not every Spanish lawyer outside Spain is bad and it's good to google around to get quotes.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's just personal choice and I gave my personal opinion.

You've already given yours.

Hush now and let the OP decide.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It doesn't matter where the solicitor is. You could go to a local solicitor in Spain, but he might know the person selling and won't tell you everything. The solicitor we used got us the NIE numbers for €50 and a flight out would have cost us more, so it's just personal choice. It's always best to get an architect or surveyor to check the property anyway and doing your research is just common sense. Not every Spanish lawyer outside Spain is bad and it's good to google around to get quotes.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it's just personal choice and I gave my personal opinion.

You've already given yours.

Hush now and let the OP decide.
Exactly, but you said "Under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK". You'll also find that there are plenty of international lawyers who have offices in Spain and the UK.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moses,

I'll repeat it "under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK".

That's my opinion based on research I did, and having gone through the purchase process myself, and subsequently living in Spain and hearing the experiences of others.

I do happen to know that there are plenty of international lawyers who have offices in Spain and the UK. That doesn't change my opinion.

Let me be clear about something. I've run into you on a few threads. I find your opinions and advice confusing and illogical. I find the way you put the points across intellectually all over the place. Limit your comments to "helping" Ops and refrain from coming back to me on every point I put across, and we'll get along just fine.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Exactly, but you said "Under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK". You'll also find that there are plenty of international lawyers who have offices in Spain and the UK.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses,

I'll repeat it "under no circumstances would I google for a lawyer in the UK".

That's my opinion based on research I did, and having gone through the purchase process myself, and subsequently living in Spain and hearing the experiences of others.

I do happen to know that there are plenty of international lawyers who have offices in Spain and the UK. That doesn't change my opinion.

Let me be clear about something. I've run into you on a few threads. I find your opinions and advice confusing and illogical. I find the way you put the points across intellectually all over the place. Limit your comments to "helping" Ops and refrain from coming back to me on every point I put across, and we'll get along just fine.
What research? This forum is about discussing things, so we don't always have to agree. Yes you live in Spain, but what if the OP doesn't?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

gyork0206 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the same position, and we have been doing lots and lots of research and even went to "A Place in The Sun Live" and found that extremely useful, lots of estate agents, spanish lawyers, english lawyers with offices in Spain, health and tax information. If you are not in a hurry and can get to the next exhibition in March in London then its well worth a visit.

We've found it invaluable.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes you choose Playa Flamenca ??? It was nice back in 1999/2000 but its all a bit tacky now. Some of the apartment blocks are looking a bit tired and the concentration of ex pats is too high IMO. Yes, la Zenia beach is nice and Pilar de horadada also. If you must buy there I would recommend PSB - Professional services bureau in the centre of Torrevieja. If he's still there Moises Juberias is a great lawyer, but he may be retired by now. I think there are lots of nicer areas of spain. Thats one reason why we sold up there before the crash. I will Pm you if you want info on other costas.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

gyork0206 is an unknown quantity at this point

We too had been looking at Playa Flamenca/Zenia, is this not a good area?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello gyork. Rather then possibly upset others with deflamatory (honest) remarks, I will PM you this evening. Keith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.