Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying Off Plan - any tips and advice

Buying Off Plan - any tips and advice

Old Oct 13th 2021, 7:29 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Off Plan - any tips and advice

Originally Posted by Josh Sherry
Personally, I think when somebody is looking to invest a large amount of money it is important they are given the correct and current advice. It is just as important to know where the advice has come from to determine how accurate it is. Giving a job title to me doesn't advertise the company you work for it's just validating what you are saying.

You can continue to resort to name-calling and pretending you are an admin if that's what you need to do to feel important. I will continue to answer any questions if I feel I have the expertise and knowledge to do so.

Now is a good time to invest off-plan and since 2016 changes in the law have made it safe to do so. However, it is always important to have a good Spanish property lawyer. You will maximize your investment by buying off-plan and the current market means there are limited new developments for the demand. Therefore in order to buy the best plot, you may find you have to buy off-plan, but you will then get a choice of some of the finishes.
Hi Josh
They do not need to pretend they are on Admin, they are, so as they have the delete button to hand you will never win.
Rotor is right why would anyone take the risk when so many have been burnt & as you know (or may not) changes in the law can mean nothing in Spain and often do so.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think when somebody is looking to invest a large amount of money it is important they are given the correct and current advice. It is just as important to know where the advice has come from to determine how accurate it is. Giving a job title to me doesn't advertise the company you work for it's just validating what you are saying.

You can continue to resort to name-calling and pretending you are an admin if that's what you need to do to feel important. I will continue to answer any questions if I feel I have the expertise and knowledge to do so.

Now is a good time to invest off-plan and since 2016 changes in the law have made it safe to do so. However, it is always important to have a good Spanish property lawyer. You will maximize your investment by buying off-plan and the current market means there are limited new developments for the demand. Therefore in order to buy the best plot, your may find you have to buy off-plan, but you will then get a choice of some of the finishes.

I guess you hold the legally required qualifications to be a financial advisor ? As your website says you are UK based you must hold a suitable qualification recognised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA) is one of the qualifications or do you have the Spanish equivalent ? or maybe you are R.I.C.S ? , you operate off a mobile phone and your UK office seems to be a residential house in Cardiff , hows that ?

Last edited by Rotor; Oct 13th 2021 at 12:13 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I guess you hold the legally required qualifications to be a financial advisor ? As your website says you are UK based you must hold a suitable qualification recognised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The Diploma for Financial Advisers (DipFA) is one of the qualifications or do you have the Spanish equivalent ? .Your UK office seems to be a residential house in Cardiff , hows that ?
I suppose there is no real discussion here and the advice you have given is spot on. Had a look myself and the cheapest apartment was 799K and ready in 2 years. He's only a young lad and father probably told him to try everything in these desperate times. In any case most people here can't afford these prices.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Josh Sherry is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why you are called Rotor; you just go round and round and on and on. You don't need any of those qualifications to be able to tell you the law has changed in Spain to provide extra protection to purchasers, new rules have been introduced amending the law in relation to bank guarantees: Law 20/2015 (of 14 July 2015) replaces the Law 57/1968 and states that from 1 January 2016 bank guarantees can only be provided for payments once the developer has proved that he has obtained any necessary planning permissions. This means that the purchaser now has extra protection ensuring that all relevant planning permissions have been obtained as well as protecting any financial investment. Banks and insurance companies have until July 2016 to revise existing guarantees to reflect this amendment. Of course, this means that any payment that a purchaser may make to a developer prior to planning permission being granted will not be guaranteed. In addition, the new rules state that the bank guarantee will expire two years after any breach of contract if the buyer does not make a claim against the developer within that period. You must have missed it Rotor, too busy keeping the law on forums. I appreciate the hard work you do Rotor I mean you've even gone out of your way to play detective, haha I bet you were so impressed with yourself you thought about buying a new clipboard.

I came on this forum to see if I could help anyone and also see what I could learn also. I have a degree in Business and Economics if that helps with the whole struggling to understand why I know how an investment works. I'm not as young as I look I'm 31, I'm not sure really what that has to do with anything? Rotor is probably 50 and he's spent the last 20 years sat on the same forum being super clever and important.

I will answer all of Rotor's questions though as he spent so long preparing them today. I actually live in Berkshire my clients are from the UK so I meet them here and get to know them and then we fly out to view properties, the Cardiff address is my Uncle's address as we needed a point of contact if we need to receive maiI don't have any use for an actual office and I'm sorry if that offends you. I'm not sure why you have a problem with mobile phones but I guess when you're just sat in your mum's house at a desk fighting crime on forums all day the landline is a better choice.

Business has been ok, if I were desperate the last place I would be would be on here.

Now please stop this, you're so wrong about me and I'm bored.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

𝐁𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐖𝐄𝐁𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐑
The possible legal scenarios when building your dream property in Spain.
The importance of contracting the right builder, architect, project manager, and independent lawyer in Spain.
LIVE Questions & Answers
Next Wednesday 20 October 2021
17:00h Madrid time
16:00h London time
11:00h New York time

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...eXkiUuS7v_Gg14
Old Oct 14th 2021, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why you are called Rotor; you just go round and round and on and on. You don't need any of those qualifications to be able to tell you the law has changed in Spain to provide extra protection to purchasers, new rules have been introduced amending the law in relation to bank guarantees: Law 20/2015 (of 14 July 2015) replaces the Law 57/1968 and states that from 1 January 2016 bank guarantees can only be provided for payments once the developer has proved that he has obtained any necessary planning permissions. This means that the purchaser now has extra protection ensuring that all relevant planning permissions have been obtained as well as protecting any financial investment. Banks and insurance companies have until July 2016 to revise existing guarantees to reflect this amendment. Of course, this means that any payment that a purchaser may make to a developer prior to planning permission being granted will not be guaranteed. In addition, the new rules state that the bank guarantee will expire two years after any breach of contract if the buyer does not make a claim against the developer within that period. You must have missed it Rotor, too busy keeping the law on forums. I appreciate the hard work you do Rotor I mean you've even gone out of your way to play detective, haha I bet you were so impressed with yourself you thought about buying a new clipboard.

I came on this forum to see if I could help anyone and also see what I could learn also. I have a degree in Business and Economics if that helps with the whole struggling to understand why I know how an investment works. I'm not as young as I look I'm 31, I'm not sure really what that has to do with anything? Rotor is probably 50 and he's spent the last 20 years sat on the same forum being super clever and important.

I will answer all of Rotor's questions though as he spent so long preparing them today. I actually live in Berkshire my clients are from the UK so I meet them here and get to know them and then we fly out to view properties, the Cardiff address is my Uncle's address as we needed a point of contact if we need to receive maiI don't have any use for an actual office and I'm sorry if that offends you. I'm not sure why you have a problem with mobile phones but I guess when you're just sat in your mum's house at a desk fighting crime on forums all day the landline is a better choice.

Business has been ok, if I were desperate the last place I would be would be on here.

Now please stop this, you're so wrong about me and I'm bored.
No ,you are still coming across as a chancer , you dont seem to have taken in to account that many of us on this forum purchased Spanish property whilst you were still in primary school , we`ve all seen how crooked a lot of agents are and how the authorities are also either crooked or don't give a damn when a foreigner gets ripped off , the copy and paste paragraph you`ve posted confirms there is still a risk with buying off plan even with the 2016 law , who wants the stress of making a claim and the months/years of waiting for a refund when a developer goes bust ? a good many developers do and its often planned , far far safer to buy an existing property and employ an independent lawyer to verify everything before even putting a deposit down.
Back to handing out flyers on street corners for you .
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

No ,you are still coming across as a chancer , you dont seem to have taken in to account that many of us on this forum purchased Spanish property whilst you were still in primary school , we`ve all seen how crooked a lot of agents are and how the authorities are also either crooked or don't give a damn when a foreigner gets ripped off , the copy and paste paragraph you`ve posted confirms there is still a risk with buying off plan even with the 2016 law , who wants the stress of making a claim and the months/years of waiting for a refund when a developer goes bust ? a good many developers do and its often planned , far far safer to buy an existing property and employ an independent lawyer to verify everything before even putting a deposit down.
Correct !
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true and while you can make a claim and the law has improved there's no guarantee you'll ever see the money again. Buying off plan is even more expensive and you are basically feeding several people who try to make money. Even independent lawyers cost money and dealing with a company that has consultants, lawyers, architects, tax advisers, appraisers will cost you an arm and a leg. All happy to help when you feed them, but try finding help when something goes wrong. The regulations in Spain are sometimes ridiculous and we see how hard it is with Okupas (recent post) and everyone tries to take your hard earned money. Financing is another issue and Banks want this paperwork, architect fees, then something is missing and you get the stamp but you were missing another paper and the lawyer gets paid. The process starts again and the house is still not there. Then the house gets built and doesn't match the plans.