Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

buying left hand drive in U.K

buying left hand drive in U.K

Old May 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold
Default buying left hand drive in U.K

I've been wondering if there would be any advantage to buying a l.h.d car over here in the u.k before we get to Spain? I've been told that cars in Spain are more expensive.and there are quite a few bargains on Ebay. Can you re-register and u.k purchased car to drive legally in Spain? We were told if you don't get rid of a u.k car after 6 months it can be enpounded by customs?

Last edited by silverchick; May 19th 2007 at 10:46 pm. Reason: not clear enough
Old May 19th 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future
Default Re: buying left hand drive in U.K

hi

we too are having the same dilemna, we have been looking at what we need ane specifically need a landrover county after doing a lot of looking have found this to be cheaper in Spain so are buying over there instead. We are taking the current Landy with us as its a real workhorse but only has 2 seats, when we looked at selling here and buying in Spain to replace this one it was soooooo expensive, seems to depend on what model/make you are looking for. We also looked at BMW and there is a marked increase in prices here- but that is only what we managed to find out, garages are on our list of places to visit when we go out next week. If you are looking for anything specific would it help if we get the time tio get some prices whilst out there
Old May 19th 2007, 11:15 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Thanks that so sweet of you! I'm not sure really what I want, I know what I'd like but I'm sure his Gingerness wouldn't let me! I'll have a lok on some sites that were posted here to get a better idea.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

go on then share it with us what car would you really like?? looks like I am getting rid of my BMW for a landrover as more than 2 vehicles would be a touch extravagant-or so he says!!
Old May 19th 2007, 11:30 pm
Fed up in England!!

I'd really love a beetle! Or a convertible Morris Minor, but I don't think they have power steering!
I quite fancy a Yaris, the one thats a bit bigger, I like to have a higher view but would be forbidden to have a 4x4, the other half hates them! (might have something to do with one bursting into flames by the motorway on the way back from Cornwall!)
It needs to be something I can park easily as the town we're going to live in has few parking spots, and economical, I would also quite like a Smart car but as they're only 2 seats not practical.
So what would you suggest?
Requirements:
High up view
Economical
Smallish
pink
only joking
easy to park.
sexy
not joking!!
Old May 20th 2007, 5:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
I've been wondering if there would be any advantage to buying a l.h.d car over here in the u.k before we get to Spain? I've been told that cars in Spain are more expensive.and there are quite a few bargains on Ebay. Can you re-register and u.k purchased car to drive legally in Spain? We were told if you don't get rid of a u.k car after 6 months it can be enpounded by customs?
I know someone who did that...........so it is possible........she just got it re-registered & re-plated once she got over here - a beetle, strangely enough!

I don't know if it made the process easier..though logically I suppose it might
Old May 20th 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

kevinbeddow is on a distinguished road

how about a black VW convertable?
regards
kevin
Old May 20th 2007, 9:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Last part is certainly untrue, you do have to get your UK car re registered here within the 6 months, but that can be done quite easily unless you have a highly modified car, any modifications would have to be 'undone' before it could be re registered. Any LHD car bought in the UK would have to be re regiostered here, and the cost would probably be the same as for a RHD car as the lights would have to be changed, and that's usually all that needs to be done to a RHD car. Advantage of a LHD car is that you are sat in the best position for seeing the road ahead while driving and overtaking, and are in the correct position for taking tickets at barriers and paying tolls on toll roads. I'm fairly sure that new cars are cheaper over here, but second hand ones are more expensive, but that's because they hold their value so much better. If you buy new in the UK and move withing 6 months, then you are liable for import duty.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really love a beetle! Or a convertible Morris Minor, but I don't think they have power steering!
I quite fancy a Yaris, the one thats a bit bigger, I like to have a higher view but would be forbidden to have a 4x4, the other half hates them! (might have something to do with one bursting into flames by the motorway on the way back from Cornwall!)
It needs to be something I can park easily as the town we're going to live in has few parking spots, and economical, I would also quite like a Smart car but as they're only 2 seats not practical.
So what would you suggest?
Requirements:
High up view
Economical
Smallish
pink
only joking
easy to park.
sexy
not joking!!
...Hi Silverchick...what about the Fiat Panda 4x4..everything you are looking for..high driving position...economical..pink..only joking..smallish ( but big hearted)..dead easy to park...4x4 highly rated by Clarkson in a head to head with a range rover..!! and lets face it any car with you in is bound to be sexy..........
Old May 20th 2007, 12:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Last part is certainly untrue, you do have to get your UK car re registered here within the 6 months, but that can be done quite easily unless you have a highly modified car, any modifications would have to be 'undone' before it could be re registered. Any LHD car bought in the UK would have to be re regiostered here, and the cost would probably be the same as for a RHD car as the lights would have to be changed, and that's usually all that needs to be done to a RHD car. Advantage of a LHD car is that you are sat in the best position for seeing the road ahead while driving and overtaking, and are in the correct position for taking tickets at barriers and paying tolls on toll roads. I'm fairly sure that new cars are cheaper over here, but second hand ones are more expensive, but that's because they hold their value so much better. If you buy new in the UK and move withing 6 months, then you are liable for import duty.
Just goes to show theres no hard and fast rules. I had a set of modifications to my car a yard long, including performance enhancing mods such as induction filter and decat exhaust. It sailed through on importation.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

erisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really niceerisaman is just really nice

Hi - am facing same problem and have looked in the UK and in Spain for an MPV - Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan but to no avail. Called to three dealerships around the Malaga area last week, all had models advertised but none in stock - "We will have it available tomorrow" or words to that effect.

I believe that LHD registered in the UK would be expensive to re-register in Spain (unless it originated in Spain of course) as the taxes are based on the vehicle value. I also believe that certain RHD (4WD) vehicles cannot be re-registered in Spain as they (the Government) also now have concerns regarding the environment.

So - maybe a business opportunity for an ex-pat in Spain to collate and negotiate the purchase of used LHD cars in readiness for us newbies to clinch a deal? Having said that - I do have a 2003 Ibiza (Spanish registered and located in Spain) to p/ex, so my hands are tied more than many.

Look forward to more opinions on this - and thanks to the OP.

Last edited by erisaman; May 20th 2007 at 12:45 pm. Reason: mis type
Old May 20th 2007, 12:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just goes to show theres no hard and fast rules. I had a set of modifications to my car a yard long, including performance enhancing mods such as induction filter and decat exhaust. It sailed through on importation.
There is always one!!
Old May 20th 2007, 1:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erisaman
I believe that LHD registered in the UK would be expensive to re-register in Spain (unless it originated in Spain of course) as the taxes are based on the vehicle value. I also believe that certain RHD (4WD) vehicles cannot be re-registered in Spain as they (the Government) also now have concerns regarding the environment.
Depends on what you call expensive. If you have owned it for more than 6 months then there is no import registration tax to pay. You have an IVA test and re register it. A gestoria will do it for you for anyhting between 500 & 900 euros. You must do it within 30 days of residencia though.

I know of people who have bought 4 x 4's over here and registered them .... Im not sure but I believe this relates to the pick up variety as they are classed as commercial vehicles.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There is always one!!
I like to be different.
Old May 20th 2007, 1:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I like to be different.
and awkward!
Old May 20th 2007, 1:11 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
and awkward!
Be quiet woman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.