Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:46 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a leasehold bar but still in uk

Originally Posted by louisephillips
thanks to you both,and i understand what both of you are saying about timing and the stress ,the bar is not failing it is turning over what we feel we need to support our living without dipping into saving etc it is only three years old still like new and kitted out with leather seat and nice decor, we feel its depressing times everywhere especially with the added things on our minds ,yes its a bit scary and it maybe a mistake ,im not sure really, we feel we have offered a decent price but it is well below the asking price, alot below! our main worries are the health issues but ive seen in a survey that spain rank 6th in the world for healthcare as opposed to the uk in 24th,i guess its more the language,we have started learning Spanish but would not cope well under pressure with it just yet
They're ALL failing/struggling - apart from maybe the big night club type places, but I suspect many of those make their money thru "other" means! Most owners I know are struggling to make ends meet, working 24/7 and thoroughly miserable. Those who are trying to sell are very economical with the truth - they have to be or they'd never get a buyer. I wouldnt touch a bar if I was paid to take it on - not in my area of the costa del sol anyway (Fuengirola, Benamadena!)

As for healthcare, if you come to Spain and register with a doctor here, then if you have a history of serious problems you will need your records sent over, so they can assess. Those will need to be translated and then you will have to hope the doctor can not only prescribe the right medication, but is also in agreement with the course of treatment.

Jo xxx
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks to you both,and i understand what both of you are saying about timing and the stress ,the bar is not failing it is turning over what we feel we need to support our living without dipping into saving etc it is only three years old still like new and kitted out with leather seat and nice decor, we feel its depressing times everywhere especially with the added things on our minds ,yes its a bit scary and it maybe a mistake ,im not sure really, we feel we have offered a decent price but it is well below the asking price, alot below! our main worries are the health issues but ive seen in a survey that spain rank 6th in the world for healthcare as opposed to the uk in 24th,i guess its more the language,we have started learning Spanish but would not cope well under pressure with it just yet
Why are the current owner willing to accept an offer well below the asking price if the business is profitable?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

louisephillips is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry posted my reply to early ,its interesting that we can get treatment early if required ,we realise that if we do this we will be making some sacrifices with regards to the uk but fully intend on paying our way in spain and if that means we will get spains hospital services we are fine with that.
this bar is not being taken on as a big money making venture and is only open between 5pm and 1am,we use the bar ourselves when in spain and will not be increasing the opening hours.we are at an early stage with this, the figures now an offer has been accepted are on offer and yes i know we need to check these,the trade in this bar has from my own observations increased ,the furnishings have always been this way its in a residential area not a main town and it has just been looked after,however much food for thought and we wont rush into anything but it is the transition from uk to spain that is abit scary

Last edited by louisephillips; Jan 9th 2012 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

ill health??
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:56 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why are the current owner willing to accept an offer well below the asking price if the business is profitable?
....... why are they selling it at all - lets face it, its not cheap to sell these things with all the taxes etc piled on top??? They could simple put a manager in and keep it til such times as prices go up again???!!

Jo xxxx
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

the owners are an oldish english couple who invited their family out to take the bar on as they did not want to continue ,it is the youngsters that have increased the cliental but one of the parents is now ill and the children have moved back to the uk, i no its a story and i have to take it as true ,i did hear them discussing this whilst in the bar so i know some parts are true however the more i read the replies the more im put off by it all sadly
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

sorry post my reply to early ,its interesting that we can get treatment early if required ,we realise that if we do this we will be making some sacrifices with regards to the uk but fully intend on paying our way in spain and if that means we will get spains hospital services we are fine with that.
this bar is not being taken on as a big money making venture and is only open between 5pm and 1am,we use the bar ourselves when in spain and will not be increasing the opening hours.we are at an early stage with this, the figures now an offer has been accepted are on offer and yes i know we need to check these,the trade in this bar has from my own observations increased ,the furnishings have always been this way its in a residential area not a main town and it has just ben looked after,however much food for though and we wont rush into anything but it is the transition from uk to spain that is abit scary
The most scary part of this should be the parting with the money for a bar, obligating yourself to pay the SS quota, and the things associated with the business.

Dont take this the wrong way, but cancer is cancer, and cannot be avoided, no matter what your circumstances and is really out of anyones hands.

Stress on top of a serious illness, is another matter, that can be controlled to greater of lesser extent. Running a business is a foreign country is a stress.

Why are the owners selling? What is the reason?

There are hundreds of questions to be asked before a price is negociated.

I presume they will have 3 years VAT, Tax, Wages,Takings, records to show you.

That is a good starting point.

Dont be fobbed off with the usual chestnuts, Check the amount they spend on beer, etc with the suppliers, see the difference between what they were buying 3 years ago, and there spend now.

Once you have established a certain number of facts, then start on something else.

Look at the rent situation, I know of a few bars, that have negociated and been given a rent reduction on the premises, only a small reduction but that alone is a good clue to the situation of the business.

Look at the staff situation, do they have more staff, less, ect.

Look at the opening hours, did they start with longer opening hours?

Do they have a gaming machine, has the take gone down? I can be a pointer....

Like I said loads of things to study.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:14 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

the owners are an oldish english couple who invited their family out to take the bar on as they did not want to continue ,it is the youngsters that have increased the cliental but one of the parents is now ill and the children have moved back to the uk, i no its a story and i have to take it as true ,i did hear them discussing this whilst in the bar so i know some parts are true however the more i read the replies the more im put off by it all sadly
to be fair it might be true - but you need to go & see it for yourself, unnanounced at different times of day & different days of the week

get the books checked very carefully

I know of a bar for sale which is doing fine - it's for sale simply because the owners no longer want to live in Spain - or work 100 hours a week!!

just thought - you don't say if you have experience in this field
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:17 pm
squeaky clean

I know we're coming across as harsh, but not without reason, things arent good in spain - or Europe, but Spain in particular has, over the last decade gone "overboard" on bars and restaurants - it was everyones dream to buy a bar on the costas and live happily everafter, and it worked for a while, but too many people did it and now there is a serious lack of tourists and a serious lack of tourists who want to go to a British bar when they're on holiday - people have moved on. In this economic climate, now isnt the time for new high risk adventures. Have you thought of simply offering to run it for them for a nominal fee (as their youngsters have??) to see how you get on and that way they dont lose their business altogether??

Jo xxx
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

running it for them im not sure about jo ,the figures and vat is as i say now on offer to view and to answer the question as to any experience in this field the answer is not much,ive been a barman long ago and worked as a dj,and entertainment manager,my job for the last fifteen years was a construction site manager for a major house builder i do know a bit about things but the advise has to be fair been good and in the back of my mind ,i did intend to go over incognito for a week shortly and ask a few questions not sure now
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

running it for them im not sure about jo ,the figures and vat is as i say now on offer to view and to answer the question as to any experience in this field the answer is not much,ive been a barman long ago and worked as a dj,and entertainment manager,my job for the last fifteen years was a construction site manager for a major house builder i do know a bit about things but the advise has to be fair been good and in the back of my mind ,i did intend to go over incognito for a week shortly and ask a few questions not sure now
As I asked quite a few posts back, Have you run a bar before? You've now answered. Do you speak Spanish? ?Where on the Costa del Sol? The downturn's affected everywhere, but to different extents. . Is the other property in Spain near where you propose to buy a bar? Relevant for maintenance (unless/as well as if you plan living there) Have you a clear understanding of the current economic/tourist/etc situation in Andalucia at the moment? Asked by others too.
It's perceived by quite a few people these days - new posters and existing members alike, sometimes - that asking the questions you don't want to hear is in some way being negative. (nb I don't just mean me, I mean anyone asking challenging points!) It's not negative, it's meant to be as constructive as possible. But I suspect you already knew that.
I wouldn't put off your idea of going incognito... maybe the story is right, maybe the figures all add up. You'd kick yourself just as hard if you DIDN'T check and it turned out to be wonderful as if it turned out to be one of the 'don't touch with the proverbial' jobbies
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
to be fair it might be true - but you need to go & see it for yourself, unnanounced at different times of day & different days of the week

get the books checked very carefully

I know of a bar for sale which is doing fine - it's for sale simply because the owners no longer want to live in Spain - or work 100 hours a week!!

just thought - you don't say if you have experience in this field
I know of a bar/eaterie that is also "doing fine".

They seem busier than ever, but they have changed the menu to cheaper stuff, ie chicken wings, nuggets, burgers etc, they had changed the menu due to the crisis from more expensive items.

The staff are run off their feet at key times, but the place is on its knees as the figures dont add up.

They may be taking a good cash everyday but they are spending more on supplies than before.and need to have extra staff due to the increased workload. They are getting into a deeper hole by the day.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:52 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the bar or not, to even consider moving from the UK when one of you has a serious illness ?

Please wait until she is better & you know things are a good deal more stable, because as sure as night follows day you will regret it (IMO)
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:10 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

They seem busier than ever, but they have changed the menu to cheaper stuff, ie chicken wings, nuggets, burgers etc, they had changed the menu due to the crisis from more expensive items.

The staff are run off their feet at key times, but the place is on its knees as the figures dont add up.

They may be taking a good cash everyday but they are spending more on supplies than before.and need to have extra staff due to the increased workload. They are getting into a deeper hole by the day.
That's what I was thinking, a busy bar is no indication of good profits. High rents and utilities eat all the takings.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Not sure I understand that bit - buying cheaper supplies, but they are spending more?
As for getting into a deeper hole (if the rest of your post is correct) Could it be a case that they're "buying" customers, so they can sell on the lease?

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jan 9th 2012 at 4:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.