Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying and insuring a car in Spain

Buying and insuring a car in Spain

Old Jul 9th 2021, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying and insuring a car in Spain

Hi there everyone
we are arriving in Spain in 4 weeks time.
And we will be looking at buying a car within a week or so.
In the UK you can check a cars history by paying a fee to see if there is any finance outstanding or if it was involved in an accident.
Is there a similar option there?
Also, I'll be needing car insurance, over here in the UK there are several comparison sites, again, is there a website you would recommend that I use to get a few comparisons, saving me both time and money?
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying and insuring a car in Spain

Originally Posted by Alfonsocolli
Hi there everyone
In the UK you can check a cars history by paying a fee to see if there is any finance outstanding or if it was involved in an accident.
Also, I'll be needing car insurance, over here in the UK there are several comparison sites, again, is there a website you would recommend that I use to get a few comparisons, saving me both time and money?
There is the facility to request a report on a vehicle from the DGT. I don't know what this covers, but others will, no doubt, be along later with further information.
For insurance comparison try Rastreator, I've found it useful.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
There is the facility to request a report on a vehicle from the DGT. I don't know what this covers, but others will, no doubt, be along later with further information.
For insurance comparison try Rastreator, I've found it useful.
Thanks
Hopefully someone else will view this post ....
I'll def check Rastreator
Old Jul 9th 2021, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there everyone
Warranties from dealers are better here than the Uk. Even if you buy private, if its proved that you were sold a car with a known fault and this was not communicated you can get it repaired at the previous owners cost.

Buying a car here is also nothing like the Uk, where you can turn up with cash, take a bit of the V5 and drive away.
Here there is a complete process to follow and at every owner change you must detail the cars milage to the DGT and it appears on the paperwork. While not a guarantee it does at least help.

Most cars will have visible damage and Ive seen some driving around with complete damage along one side (a friend has an old Focus and a French tourist drove down the side. In the Uk it would be a write off. Here they just made sure the doors still open and close (part of the ITV checks) and they told him to carry on driving it)

Insurance wise, I used the the company the dealer used as he got me a 20% discount as he deals with them a lot (this years renewal is €30 more than last year)
Insurance is dearer here as cars tend to last a long longer (I have a 2007 Citroen that looks almost like new with 115000km on the clock)
And its not you who is insured here its the car, some places will take your No Claims History but others wont.
For ref my insurance is €230 a year fully comp, with recovery, car hire etc (the recovery here is standard on fully comp so no need for the AA etc) its with Linea Directa (and all in English even the call centre).
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Barriej
Warranties from dealers are better here than the Uk. Even if you buy private, if its proved that you were sold a car with a known fault and this was not communicated you can get it repaired at the previous owners cost.

Buying a car here is also nothing like the Uk, where you can turn up with cash, take a bit of the V5 and drive away.
Here there is a complete process to follow and at every owner change you must detail the cars milage to the DGT and it appears on the paperwork. While not a guarantee it does at least help.

Most cars will have visible damage and Ive seen some driving around with complete damage along one side (a friend has an old Focus and a French tourist drove down the side. In the Uk it would be a write off. Here they just made sure the doors still open and close (part of the ITV checks) and they told him to carry on driving it)

Insurance wise, I used the the company the dealer used as he got me a 20% discount as he deals with them a lot (this years renewal is €30 more than last year)
Insurance is dearer here as cars tend to last a long longer (I have a 2007 Citroen that looks almost like new with 115000km on the clock)
And its not you who is insured here its the car, some places will take your No Claims History but others wont.
For ref my insurance is €230 a year fully comp, with recovery, car hire etc (the recovery here is standard on fully comp so no need for the AA etc) its with Linea Directa (and all in English even the call centre).
Thanks
I'll def check out the company
Old Jul 9th 2021, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Barriej

Forgot to ask Barrie
How would I check if it has been involved in an accident or if there is outstanding finance on it?
Old Jul 10th 2021, 8:04 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Download the miDGT app for Android or iOS. You can ask for several types of reports, they're free apart from the full report (completo) which costs €8.59.

There are also other ways to ask for the report (Internet, phone, go to one of their offices)...

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos...e-de-vehiculo/

Last edited by DLC; Jul 10th 2021 at 8:06 am.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

If you are buying privately and /or are concerned about a particular vehicle the DGT ( Spanish Traffic Authorities ) issue what is called an "Informe de cargas" if you provide them with a vehicle registration. Gives you details of original registration, current owner, technical inspections validity and any charges against the vehicle. A gestor can do the request and it does not cost very much
Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DLC
Download the miDGT app for Android or iOS. You can ask for several types of reports, they're free apart from the full report (completo) which costs €8.59.

There are also other ways to ask for the report (Internet, phone, go to one of their offices)...

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos...e-de-vehiculo/
Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If you are buying privately and /or are concerned about a particular vehicle the DGT ( Spanish Traffic Authorities ) issue what is called an "Informe de cargas" if you provide them with a vehicle registration. Gives you details of original registration, current owner, technical inspections validity and any charges against the vehicle. A gestor can do the request and it does not cost very much
Thank you so much
Really helpful
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Sandm4n is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 2 years old car from an official dealer("approved used" as called in the UK), this way you get a 1 year official guarentee and as an official dealer they do a full checkup before trading used cars plus they do all the paperwork for you.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to ask Barrie
How would I check if it has been involved in an accident or if there is outstanding finance on it?
You do needto do a thorough check on the vehicle as fines, tax liabilities belong WITH THE CAR, so if the previous owner is in default with the tax, then you will have to pay it, same with anything legal. Spending a small amount of money to a gestor to check is excellent advice.