Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a dog in Spain

Buying a dog in Spain

Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a dog in Spain

The first winter we were here we bought a Westie puppy from a local breeder so saw the Mum and Dad. However after paying over the money we never got his papers I don´t know what happened but it was some sort of scam. She said we were supposed to take him back to get his chip put in by her. Well we didn´t and went to our local vet as the breeder didn´t put his chip in she said that we couldn´t have the papers. It was all seven years ago and we were pretty naive at the time. We wanted a Westie as I have always had them in the family and know their nature. However as much as I love my boy I now see all the unwanted dogs and feel that it is better to get one of those.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naladogs
That is a BIG !! claim " a healthy puppy " if you go to the trouble of ensuring that the breeders have done all the hip, eye , etc etc . tests you can still not ensure a healthy puppy. A lot of Spanish do not know that much about responsible breeding.
I would suggest that Spanish breeders are just as responsible as breeders in other parts of the world.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Would it just be better to say that breeding of any dog in any country for monitory gain is not right. There are just as many cases here of over breeding as there is anywhere else, it is a case of supply and demand, if there was no demand they would not feel the need to do it.

As long as people want the pedigree breeds for what ever reason although many have difficulties systemic to the breed there will be people willing to exploit it. if that means breeding mother with son or sister with brother they do it. I am a little lost with reference to papers, I did not think there was an inequivalent here to kennel club papers to show the pedigree, the only way to get the papers is to go through the kennel club and go to one of their recognised breeders and then you can guarantee the lineage.

This may be of interest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C23RP...layer_embedded

This has been posted on the facebook page of happy endings/final feliz rescue centre. All these puppies were rescued from a single house, they are now in their care
Old Jul 15th 2011, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
Would it just be better to say that breeding of any dog in any country for monitory gain is not right. There are just as many cases here of over breeding as there is anywhere else, it is a case of supply and demand, if there was no demand they would not feel the need to do it.

As long as people want the pedigree breeds for what ever reason although many have difficulties systemic to the breed there will be people willing to exploit it. if that means breeding mother with son or sister with brother they do it. I am a little lost with reference to papers, I did not think there was an inequivalent here to kennel club papers to show the pedigree, the only way to get the papers is to go through the kennel club and go to one of their recognised breeders and then you can guarantee the lineage.

This may be of interest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C23RP...layer_embedded

This has been posted on the facebook page of happy endings/final feliz rescue centre. All these puppies were rescued from a single house, they are now in their care
There is a Spanish Kennel Club
http://www.rsce.es/web/

Real Sociadad Canina Espana

and they do run shows etc in just the same way as the UK Kennel Club, UK dogs can be shown there and Spanish dogs can be shown at UK shows, subject to them having the required vacinations etc.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

After we had been here a year we decided to by a spanish Mastiff... and went to a breeder who shows them and was very involved with the breed organization.. (and who has just tried to be chairman of the club!)

well the dog had very bad hip dysplacia at the age of one, and had to be operared on, I did contact the breeder , no reply... Penny, the dog is 6 now and still ok after her op... im now in contact with a breeder that hip scores, so if I ever have another I will go to her
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

18 months ago on 23rd of December i found a scruffy little pup in the bins, vet reckoned she was about 3 months old. we kept her and Lucy is a joy to have and also a friend for Buster who is now 15.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

It's odd - most of the strays adopted seem to be so grateful for their new home that they turn themselves into perfect pets. I've had pedigrees and strays, and the strays (mostly) were the friendlier.

Except Lucy, a street dog we took on, who just wouldn't stay in the house. She wanted to live under the Landy parked outside. Even jumped off the (single storey) roof to get out when I'd blocked all other exits. The dog catchers got her three times, and in the end we just had to let her go.

Sadly can't have either any more as Son#1 is now allergic, as is grandson.

Mind you, I suppose I could always get rid of my son .......
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
18 months ago on 23rd of December i found a scruffy little pup in the bins, vet reckoned she was about 3 months old. we kept her and Lucy is a joy to have and also a friend for Buster who is now 15.
Always wondered who Buster would be!

Originally Posted by Rostra
It's odd - most of the strays adopted seem to be so grateful for their new home that they turn themselves into perfect pets. I've had pedigrees and strays, and the strays (mostly) were the friendlier.

Except Lucy, a street dog we took on, who just wouldn't stay in the house. She wanted to live under the Landy parked outside. Even jumped off the (single storey) roof to get out when I'd blocked all other exits. The dog catchers got her three times, and in the end we just had to let her go.

Sadly can't have either any more as Son#1 is now allergic, as is grandson.

Mind you, I suppose I could always get rid of my son .......
Only since my DD did animal stuff at college & got involved in offroading did I learn what a Landy was.......
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by fionamw

Only since my DD did animal stuff at college & got involved in offroading did I learn what a Landy was.......

Needed one in Lanza when we first got here - not many paved roads. I'm amazed that anyone CHOOSES to drive one off road. I'm sure I lost some teeth along the way.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra

Needed one in Lanza when we first got here - not many paved roads. I'm amazed that anyone CHOOSES to drive one off road. I'm sure I lost some teeth along the way.
Just (offtopic, apols etc but anyway.....) for the record, I'm a happy-as-Larry-Navara driver !

I don't think I'd buy a dog anywhere, actually, thinking about putting things on the record. OK pedigrees can be wonderful, depending on their breeding history etc., but you can if lucky get a pedigree from a shelter/wherever.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Taking one a little older from a rescue centre is a good option.
Most of them will allow you a trial period or temporary adoption to see if they fit in ok with your family and home.

If it doesn't work out then you can always go back and try another one.

Normally there is no charge, but its common practice to make a small donation to the the rescue centre once you are happy.

Buy from a breeder and you are stuck with it, like it or not, and your money is gone for good.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fionamw;9497678]Always wondered who Buster would be!

He's Lhasa Apso, kennel club registered, full pedigree, and he's a right grumpy bugger, too posh to play ball, but we love him
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=busters mum;9497887]

He's Lhasa Apso, kennel club registered, full pedigree, and he's a right grumpy bugger, too posh to play ball, but we love him
My mother's late lamented (smelly but you dare tell a 90yo her dog stinks) Bamber was Shih Tzu from a rescue kennel (as were all her previous including a pedigree black male German Shepherd) so small hairy and (maybe)smelly all ring bells
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=fionamw;9497968]
Originally Posted by busters mum

so small hairy and (maybe)smelly all ring bells
Sounds like my first husband !!!!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=busters mum;9498735]

Sounds like my first husband !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.