Buying a car!

Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Rose Parker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car!

Hi
We are moving to Arboleas in August 2016 into a long term rental cortijo.
My question is...can we buy a car from a dealer or privately with just our passports and without having a NIE number?
What about car insurance in Spain, do we need an NIE number for that?
Thanks for your help!
Rose

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 11th 2016 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Sorry, advertising is not allowed.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 11:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:12 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose Parker
Hi
We are moving to Arboleas in August 2016 into a long term rental cortijo.
My question is...can we buy a car from a dealer or privately with just our passports and without having a NIE number?
What about car insurance in Spain, do we need an NIE number for that?
Thanks for your help!
Rose
No.

You will need at least an NIE plus proof of where you live. Some companies (wrongly) insist on a copy of the padron but a copy of your deeds or a rental contract should suffice.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Even if we just flew into the country the night before?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Snikpoh!
Thanks for replying btw!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying a car in Spain is not like buying a car in anywhere else I have been. You cannot see car, slap money on table, drive off.
You have to provide documents,these have to go to Trafico, ownership needs to changed, and then you can have the car. Takes time.
My recent purchase involved NIE, Empadronamiento, and Passport, for all of which except Empadronamiento I used Notarised copies.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 7:55 am
Just Joined

This is putting me off! � ����
Old Apr 12th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would arrive, rent a car for a couple of weeks, and look round for the car of your desires. Sort out the paperwork that dealer requires, they will differ, and go for it.
Balance the cost against a long term rental deal, if you are not stopping for years it may be a better bet.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 8:26 am
Just Joined

We have a few bits like a sewing machine and a couple of guitars we want to bring over with us but I don't think you can hire a car in uk to drive in Spain... This is becoming a bit of a nightmare!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they meant hire in Spain ! As already said the paperwork required differs from area to area the joys of Spain. Just make sure YOU check it has no fines or back payments for non payment of sellers bills. Some debts are left unpaid till they sell something then the paper chain joins it up :-)
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes hire in Spain.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:11 am
Just Joined

We hired a car in Spain last week when we house hunting...Gold car! Perfect! No problem. I understand car rental in Spain is what we would call car leasing.
We don't want to do that because we have some fiddley stuff like sewing machine, golf clubs and guitars that we want to bring with us from UK to Arboleas.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Can we buy a LHD uk registered car in UK, load it up and drive it across to Arboleas, then pay to change the plates and have it matriculated? Or are we supposed to have owned the car for six months before we bring it over?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:44 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to avoid paying the registration tax, then you must have owned it for 6 months. Depending on the car you buy, that can be expensive.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely even then you would still need an NIE etc to re register a vehicle as you would if you bought one in Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.