Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buy another or take my car

Buy another or take my car

Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:15 am
Looking to Live in Spain

BobFord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy another or take my car

I am trying to decide whether to buy another car in Spain or ship my car over or buy a LHD cat here & take that over. Which best & which is cheaper. I fully understand that driving a RHD car in Spain is difficult having owned a LHD car here in UK.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:29 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy another or take my car

Hola

In some ways it's the same as renting a house to start with rather than buying. However the timescale is far too short at 6 months; after that you have to make a choice. Either rematriculate it with associated cost of headlights, rear lights and about 600€ costs, or return it to its own country.

If your existing car is a good car that you've had for years and would normally keep for at least the next two years, then there is an attraction in using it while you settle in.

Spanish cars don't depreciate in the same way as UK cars so expect to pay more for a second hand car. As always do some research into the price of cars here in Spain

Davexf
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:45 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I took my car to Spain. Used it to transport valuables and drove it whilst I arranged to buy my Spanish car.

I sold it for cash to a dealer and got what I thought it would be worth if selling private in UK, with zero hassle.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

I've never driven a LHD in the UK but have a RHD car that's in Spain for 8 months of the year and i really dont find it a problem so if you know/like your UK car i wouldn't rule out putting it on Spanish plates.

As has been said cars,especially with the current exchange rate, tend to be more expensive in Spain and the buying process can in itself prove troublesome.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobFord
I am trying to decide whether to buy another car in Spain or ship my car over or buy a LHD cat here & take that over. Which best & which is cheaper. I fully understand that driving a RHD car in Spain is difficult having owned a LHD car here in UK.
Buy a Spanish registered car in Spain , loads less hassle , they may appear more expensive but getting your UK car to Spain and getting it Spanish registered is not cheap.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 3:24 am
Looking to Live in Spain

What are the costs of shipping a car from UK to Malaga or Almeria
Old Mar 11th 2017, 5:37 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

say 100€ to cross the channel, 150€ for fuel, 100€ for two overnight stops.

If you want someone to do it for you - lots more

Davexf
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean by shipping by container possibly around £1200 , by haulier depends on where they have to collect it from ,driving yourself will be the cheapest , its roughly 1200 - 1300 miles from Calais to Malaga so calculate that on your cars MPG ,(Dover Calais is usually the cheapest crossing), 2-3 nights out , tolls are expensive in France and its not viable to avoid them , full car recovery breakdown cover is essential , then eating out can be expensive on and near motorways.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:45 am
Just Joined

george peter is an unknown quantity at this point

I came over with my car from Plymouth to Santander then your looking at about 11 hour trip to Malaga
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by george peter
I came over with my car from Plymouth to Santander then your looking at about 11 hour trip to Malaga
Ive done that route a few times , a nice trip but the Brittany Ferries charges are extortionate.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:13 am
Looking to Live in Spain

Most people seem to take their existing car. I wonder how strict the Spanish MOT is.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Most people seem to take their existing car. I wonder how strict the Spanish MOT is.
Very, you can fail for having odd tyres, tracking being out, low oil, just a hint of corrosion,ANY modification that does not have a Spanish engineers report is also a fail.
Headlights are the obvious one ,they can be very expensive for Lhd ones and some can be very time consuming (expensive) to fit.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:47 am
Looking to Live in Spain

I am a Vehicle Technician (Mechanic in old money) I can do most repairs myself if allowed. I'm surprised the Spain MOT is strict when I see some of the old sheds they drive around in.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:01 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

I am a Vehicle Technician (Mechanic in old money) I can do most repairs myself if allowed. I'm surprised the Spain MOT is strict when I see some of the old sheds they drive around in.
Hola

Yes you are allowed to do your own repairs.

The object of the exercise is to ensure the car conforms to the Spanish (EU) specification and is safe on the road. As always, on the day, it depends on the vehicle testing agent you get and how he feels about the last car he tested, and if he likes your car. They are professionals and have no axe to grind - they simply want to make sure your car conforms.

Most of the problems I have encountered has been tinted windows that were not in the original specification - even a dealers addition is not acceptable - especially for land rovers.

Davexf
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to factor in is the availability of secondhand vehicles over here. That gets much less the minute you start getting picky e.g. if you want a specific model with say a petrol engine and auto gearbox. If you aren't choosy then you will have a reasonable amount to go at.

Have a look at Mil anuncios.com coche to see what is available and typical prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.