Building Work

Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Work

Originally Posted by Fred James
Can they guarantee that they would conform to the Spanish building regulations and other local requirements like being built to withstand earthquakes?

If not, they would not get a building license. They would also have to conform to the structural and other requirements to be granted the mandatory 10 years insurance.

Some companies were selling prefabricated wooden homes from Scandinavia and they eventually went out of business as no one was able to get a licence.
They can, but obviously depends on company. Don't forget that you still have a foundation here and we're talking about solid buildings. Every company offers a different type of build and materials, but the big difference and benefit is that you're not on a site for months. Steel frame buildings can withstand hurricanes and are also an option in the carribean, instead of wood.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 16th 2014 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golessl
Hi,

Its always good to shop around to see best price and most importantly best service.

Cheers,
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golessl
Hi,

Its always good to shop around to see best price and most importantly best service.

Cheers,
You have to shop around and look at all options available. You can get a great builder, but often they aren't aware of energy rating levels, new materials, technology etc. The great thing about manufactured homes is that you can go to a show house and see exactly what your buying.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:17 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Y You can get a great builder, but often they aren't aware of energy rating levels, new materials, technology etc. .
But the architect, who decides how the house will be built does know all those things - that's what he is paid for.

Considering you are pushing these houses in every post I don't suppose you have any sort of commercial interest in one of those companies?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But the architect, who decides how the house will be built does know all those things - that's what he is paid for.

Considering you are pushing these houses in every post I don't suppose you have any sort of commercial interest in one of those companies?
No interest in these companies and an architect isn't an expert in every area.
Just saying that these companies offer the full service and is an alternative many Brits don't consider. If you have the money for an architect to plan an individual home happy days, but many are on a budget and still want quality.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry, but you clearly have no knowledge of how the system works in Spain.

You have NO alternative to employing an expensive architect on a major project - if you do not you will not get a building licence.

It's as simple as that.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have NO alternative to employing an expensive architect on a major project - if you do not you will not get a building licence.

It's as simple as that.
You clearly didn't look into the subject then and don't understand the concept. Of course you need an architect, but the plans have been done buy an architect already.
To obtain a building permit for major works you will need:

1.Technical dossier (proyecto) created by an architect registered in the Spanish architecture college
2.A technical architect (aparejador), normally chosen by the architect. The technical architect is the site manager in official control of the building site
3.A builder
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's as simple as that.
Saying that, you can also buy a German manufactured car in Spain and will be allowed to drive it. They even put the steering wheel on the right for the UK market, so no different.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:14 am

That is an irrelevant comparison. Cars within the EU have to have an EU certificate of conformity.

Building regs are not controlled and can be very different from country to country.

For your information I am well versed in the subject having built a house in Spain and know exactly what is involved.

Anyway, I am not saying anything further on the subject as clearly your knowledge is superior to mine and the OP has not bothered to comment on your recommendations.

And please, no more adverts for flat pack houses.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is an irrelevant comparison. Cars within the EU have to have an EU certificate of conformity.

Building regs are not controlled and can be very different from country to country.

For your information I am well versed in the subject having built a house in Spain and know exactly what is involved.

Anyway, I am not saying anything further on the subject as clearly your knowledge is superior to mine and the OP has not bothered to comment on your recommendations.

And please, no more adverts for flat pack houses.
That's fine but we have a plot in Spain and went for a modular building, so I have a bit of experience. Fact is that a company that's already successful and enters the Spanish market, will make it's product fit the market, just as car manufacturers do in Britain. Planning is no different, so I don't understand your point.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:28 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Its odd we get the same sort of post popping up on the Portuguese forums every now and then with the claim of No commercial interest.
To date no one has managed to overcome the building regs which are no doubt very similar to Spains.
Those companies that have tried to sell these products have not lasted for long.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Its odd we get the same sort of post popping up on the Portuguese forums every now and then with the claim of No commercial interest.
To date no one has managed to overcome the building regs which are no doubt very similar to Spains.
Those companies that have tried to sell these products have not lasted for long.
I don't know the posts on the Portuguese forum, but I suppose it's hopeless if you're against progress. To date there have been plenty of people who have built Fertighäuser in Spain. There are a few providers in Spain, but I find the best to come from Germany. Again, planning is no different and I feel you also don't understand the concept. If you're only allowed to build a bungalow, you can't go for the two storey Villa (simple). You'll actually find more planning officers will prefer a Fertighaus, rather than having a building site for months and neighbours complaining.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I know of two strangely built properties in Portugal and one I know is perfectly legal, I nearly bought it.

It was built by a Spanish commercial fridge manufacturer for a Portugese client.

It is constructed out of fridge panels 100mm foam metal clad.
Attached Thumbnails Building Work-p6230072.jpg   Building Work-p6230083.jpg   Building Work-p6230064.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I know of two strangely built properties in Portugal and one I know is perfectly legal, I nearly bought it.

It was built by a Spanish commercial fridge manufacturer for a Portugese client.

It is constructed out of fridge panels 100mm foam metal clad.
That is indeed very strange, but different It's funny that a lot of people are like Fred James and EMR though. They only know the traditional way and can't accept change. As long as the building fits in with others and the structure is sound, I don't see the problem. As soon as Fred James read my post, he assumed I'm talking about some cheap materials. Nowadays anything is possible.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As soon as Fred James read my post, he assumed I'm talking about some cheap materials. Nowadays anything is possible.

Wrong. I am perfectly well aware of the building technique used and it the UK I seriously looked at building a Huff Haus.

My point is that it is the local planning departments that are the ones that often insist on traditional materials and they are the ones who grant the licence. Many of them are stuck in the dark ages and even insist on everything being painted white!

Obviously it all depends on where you live, but the town hall has the last say in most cases. Also in some areas in the south the house has to meet certain seismic standards that don't apply in the north and in most of Europe.

My point is that it is a great way of building, assuming you can get it approved, but that is not automatic and planning applications can drag on for years.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 18th 2014 at 3:01 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.