Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Building Permits Chiclana

Building Permits Chiclana

Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:23 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Arcos, Chiclana, Olvera
Posts: 67
David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough
Default Building Permits Chiclana

Many foreign buyers are led to believe that they don't need a permit or licence for the work they are having done to their house.

This is completely wrong you DO need a permit and/or licence either a minor works permit or major one depending on the work you intend having done.

In some cases you will even need to provide the Ayuntamiento with an architects project of the work to be carried out. This can sometimes drag out the starting date, but you should not commence without letting the Ayuntamiento know.

Chiclana is going to be to be clamping down on any illlegal building work. The tecnicos are much the same as building inspectors in the UK, it's their job to make sure that building regulations are being adhered to.

The only reason I can think of for a builder to tell you that you don't need a permit is because they don't want the Ayuntamiento to find out about the work. This is often the case where the builder is not registered or working illegally. If something goes wrong you will have no recourse.

Previously the ayuntamiento used to fine you, you could keep what you had done and leave it at that. However you may now be forced to demolish the work and return it to it's original state as well as paying the fine.

It could cost you a lot more than any saving you made by not paying for your licence.
David is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:10 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by Cadiz Builders
Many foreign buyers are led to believe that they don't need a permit or licence for the work they are having done to their house.

This is completely wrong you DO need a permit and/or licence either a minor works permit or major one depending on the work you intend having done.

In some cases you will even need to provide the Ayuntamiento with an architects project of the work to be carried out. This can sometimes drag out the starting date, but you should not commence without letting the Ayuntamiento know.

Chiclana is going to be to be clamping down on any illlegal building work. The tecnicos are much the same as building inspectors in the UK, it's their job to make sure that building regulations are being adhered to.

The only reason I can think of for a builder to tell you that you don't need a permit is because they don't want the Ayuntamiento to find out about the work. This is often the case where the builder is not registered or working illegally. If something goes wrong you will have no recourse.

Previously the ayuntamiento used to fine you, you could keep what you had done and leave it at that. However you may now be forced to demolish the work and return it to it's original state as well as paying the fine.

It could cost you a lot more than any saving you made by not paying for your licence.

At the end of the day they are not doing anything about the illegal builds that are still going up by the hundreds so think it´s unlikely they are going to be chasing someone who has a bathroom extension. Behind us it´s horrendous with five being built right next to each other and within a few feet of the back walls of the original house.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:36 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
CDL Ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 82
CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by Cadiz Builders
Many foreign buyers are led to believe that they don't need a permit or licence for the work they are having done to their house.

This is completely wrong you DO need a permit and/or licence either a minor works permit or major one depending on the work you intend having done.

In some cases you will even need to provide the Ayuntamiento with an architects project of the work to be carried out. This can sometimes drag out the starting date, but you should not commence without letting the Ayuntamiento know.

Chiclana is going to be to be clamping down on any illlegal building work. The tecnicos are much the same as building inspectors in the UK, it's their job to make sure that building regulations are being adhered to.

The only reason I can think of for a builder to tell you that you don't need a permit is because they don't want the Ayuntamiento to find out about the work. This is often the case where the builder is not registered or working illegally. If something goes wrong you will have no recourse.

Previously the ayuntamiento used to fine you, you could keep what you had done and leave it at that. However you may now be forced to demolish the work and return it to it's original state as well as paying the fine.

It could cost you a lot more than any saving you made by not paying for your licence.
Lets think about this logically for a moment and with the mindset of a local politician......For years Chiclana has been trying to get itself on the map as a popular and up-and-coming tourist destination. They have always struggled against the likes of the Costa del Sol and are only now finding their feet (this being the first summer they have been granted the title of tourist municipality.) The Mayor wants investment here and wants people to live here as he of course receives more funds from central government to run his town. If he 'lets' these illegal buildings continue, fines them 30,000€ but they are still allowed to finish the project and sell it, then that is effectively 30,000€ that the Town Hall coffers have gained in one easy step. Multiply this by the number of illegal houses in Chiclana and you can see how much money is being given to the Town Hall. The houses still exist, they are still sold and occupied and the growth of the town continues.
A similar thing is happening with roads and to a certain extent the electricity. A lot of communities are having their own roads tarmacced at there own expense, money the Town Hall doesn't need to spend when it comes to urbanisation time. Projects for network upgrades are being allowed to go ahead so people can have meters, again meaning that when the area becomes urbanised, this is money that the Town Hall will not need to spend as individuals have forked out themselves. When you take in to account that the urbanisation fees have for the very lucky have stayed the same, but for the unlucky, risen, then again the coffers of the Town Hall are growing, whilst acheiving the same objective, but spending less.
I don't condone illegal activities in any way but when we talk about politicians, is this situation really of any great surprise ????
Answers on a postcard !!!
CDL Ben is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:15 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
Lets think about this logically for a moment and with the mindset of a local politician......For years Chiclana has been trying to get itself on the map as a popular and up-and-coming tourist destination. They have always struggled against the likes of the Costa del Sol and are only now finding their feet (this being the first summer they have been granted the title of tourist municipality.) The Mayor wants investment here and wants people to live here as he of course receives more funds from central government to run his town. If he 'lets' these illegal buildings continue, fines them 30,000€ but they are still allowed to finish the project and sell it, then that is effectively 30,000€ that the Town Hall coffers have gained in one easy step. Multiply this by the number of illegal houses in Chiclana and you can see how much money is being given to the Town Hall. The houses still exist, they are still sold and occupied and the growth of the town continues.
A similar thing is happening with roads and to a certain extent the electricity. A lot of communities are having their own roads tarmacced at there own expense, money the Town Hall doesn't need to spend when it comes to urbanisation time. Projects for network upgrades are being allowed to go ahead so people can have meters, again meaning that when the area becomes urbanised, this is money that the Town Hall will not need to spend as individuals have forked out themselves. When you take in to account that the urbanisation fees have for the very lucky have stayed the same, but for the unlucky, risen, then again the coffers of the Town Hall are growing, whilst acheiving the same objective, but spending less.
I don't condone illegal activities in any way but when we talk about politicians, is this situation really of any great surprise ????
Answers on a postcard !!!
I agree completely, I don´t think they will ever do anything about the illegal builds. If you go down Camino Hijuela along the bins from Florentinas you will see the houses being built behind ours. I would say they are on a build of about 300 metres each, if they have a small pool, they will have no garden and nowhere to park a car, and their back windows over look the houses in our road except for ours, thank goodness as they are a bit further down, but, will the Town Hall do anything, I doubt it very much.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:46 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
CDL Ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 82
CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by glynis
I agree completely, I don´t think they will ever do anything about the illegal builds. If you go down Camino Hijuela along the bins from Florentinas you will see the houses being built behind ours. I would say they are on a build of about 300 metres each, if they have a small pool, they will have no garden and nowhere to park a car, and their back windows over look the houses in our road except for ours, thank goodness as they are a bit further down, but, will the Town Hall do anything, I doubt it very much.
Not sure how they have got away with that one, Glynis. The minimum build requirement for Pago is, I believe, 2000m2 so even with horizontal division you are talking about 1000m2. Can't understand how they have done just 300m2 unless it's pro-indiviso. The problem is that the local Spaniards are so keen to get on the housing ladder and generally can't afford much more than a small flat these days, they will buy almost anyhting going, as long as the price is right, and hope the situation improves or suffer the consequences if they don't. I suspect the houses behind you will be in this category. Cheap, but fraught with comlications ??
CDL Ben is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:20 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
Not sure how they have got away with that one, Glynis. The minimum build requirement for Pago is, I believe, 2000m2 so even with horizontal division you are talking about 1000m2. Can't understand how they have done just 300m2 unless it's pro-indiviso. The problem is that the local Spaniards are so keen to get on the housing ladder and generally can't afford much more than a small flat these days, they will buy almost anyhting going, as long as the price is right, and hope the situation improves or suffer the consequences if they don't. I suspect the houses behind you will be in this category. Cheap, but fraught with comlications ??
Woke up this morning to a JCB in the garden behind us, can´t see what they are doing but that will teach me to be complacent about it not affecting us.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:06 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 209
Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
Not sure how they have got away with that one, Glynis. The minimum build requirement for Pago is, I believe, 2000m2 so even with horizontal division you are talking about 1000m2. Can't understand how they have done just 300m2 unless it's pro-indiviso. The problem is that the local Spaniards are so keen to get on the housing ladder and generally can't afford much more than a small flat these days, they will buy almost anyhting going, as long as the price is right, and hope the situation improves or suffer the consequences if they don't. I suspect the houses behind you will be in this category. Cheap, but fraught with comlications ??

Blimey ! when was the last time you were in the Pago area ?!, if you can find a property on 2000m2 these days there must be gold in the field ! , new builds everywhere and i would say 500m2 seems to be the norm , speaking to spanish recently they accept that most of property in chiclana is illegal but do express surprise of the closeness of the new builds, there only concern seems to be electricity situation .Have you seen the poster campaign accusing Ramon of ruining Chiclana .
Mourinho is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:37 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by Mourinho
Blimey ! when was the last time you were in the Pago area ?!, if you can find a property on 2000m2 these days there must be gold in the field ! , new builds everywhere and i would say 500m2 seems to be the norm , speaking to spanish recently they accept that most of property in chiclana is illegal but do express surprise of the closeness of the new builds, there only concern seems to be electricity situation .Have you seen the poster campaign accusing Ramon of ruining Chiclana .
No, who is Ramon?
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:52 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 209
Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by glynis
No, who is Ramon?

The Mayor !
Mourinho is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:51 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by Mourinho
The Mayor !
My Spanish teacher says he was born and brought up in Chiclana and now hates it and preferred it as it was 25 years ago, all because of the corruption.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:28 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Murcia, Spain
Posts: 148
PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default Re: Building Permits Chiclana

Originally Posted by glynis
My Spanish teacher says he was born and brought up in Chiclana and now hates it and preferred it as it was 25 years ago, all because of the corruption.

Where we are in Murcia its still common to build get a denucia by the police, pay the fine and after 4 years have it written into the escrtura at a notary.
PaulLes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.