Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Builder's Extras

Builder's Extras

Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Razorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura about
Default Builder's Extras

I am having some extensive rework done on an old apartment in Javea. I got a presurpuesto from several builders and after some negotiation set the price with the most expensive builder. The work is not complete but they keep "dunning" for extras on monthly basis. The latest extortion attempt is to claim painting interior and exterior on walls they built! They say it is not included in the contract but despite effort it is impossible to spec every item, and it is not included on other presurpuestos I got. Has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Builder's Extras

Hi there. My first thought is, was painting included in the contract or not? If they are claiming it isn't, then it can't be too difficult to verify. Read the contract.
If you didn't specify any painting work when the work was agreed and it isn't in the contract then I think you're in a tricky position!
Stu..ed in other words!
Caveat emptor
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you did not specify painting in your request for an estimate, then builder is perfectly entitled to charge as an extra.
What other extras are being charged on a "monthly basis"?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura about

Hi Missile, It didn't say nails or screws either. I thought "making good" was making the wall as it was before. i.e painted. I guess I am wrong.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

"Making good" is vague and leaves it open to interpretation.
A good builder would have clarified what was required.

I am more interested in what other extras have been billed on a monthly basis?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been renovating a house for several years, a bit at a time. It soon became apparent to me that when I set a builder on, I couldn't assume anything and try and specify as much as possible as at the beginning there were several things that caught me out. I thought they'd be part of the job, but weren't. This usually concerned the 'end product' as it were, the finishing.

It was no good for example stating I wanted one outside wall of the house to be covered in weatherproof render to be like the other three already there. I was given a reasonable quote but then found out the finish would be grey and not white. It cost more to have it white, which was not included.
I had assumed that as three were white, the fourth would be also.

I had some internal walls built and assumed that after plastering they'd give it an undercoat like you see in new houses. Not so, it was left as bare plaster. At each job I had to sit with the builder and go into detail. I'm not a builder so it took some learning. For example, who is going to take away the old bricks and stuff?

Plus there were little things like having the light switch for a toilet or store room on the outside of the room or inside? Then having the switch either up for off and down for on, or the other way round. Or the height of power points - as in the UK just above the skirting board or like here, about half a metre up the wall.
Tile grouting, what colour? Doors opening, which way? Flooring running across the room or down it? Etc Etc Etc.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:16 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604

Plus there were little things like having the light switch for a toilet or store room on the outside of the room or inside? Then having the switch either up for off and down for on, or the other way round. Or the height of power points - as in the UK just above the skirting board or like here, about half a metre up the wall.
Interestingly, these last points are covered by the Spanish building regulations - height of power points, position of light switches etc.

When you had the work finally signed off, all of these SHOULD have been checked by the building inspector from your town hall.

The way doors open etc. should have been on your architects plans as such work is considered obra mayor and so needs architects drawings.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course. You are right. It was all done exactly like that.