Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Builder done a runner - what now?

Builder done a runner - what now?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Question Builder done a runner - what now?

Friends of mine were having some work done to their property by an English builder. Having used up all the money from the original quote, and only having done a fraction of the work, they have now seemingly scarpered.

What options do they have?

They've tried phones and emails but without response.

I suggested 'denouncing' them but is this the first step they should take? Is there any possibility of them getting some money back or the work completed?

Does anyone have any positive suggestions please?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builder done a runner - what now?

Other than dont pay builders up front ........ but obviously too late for that.

I guess you could try a denuncia, but does he know where they are situated?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

The lesson learnt being employ locals who have lived local and will proberly live local for the rest of their lives

Giri`s have a habit of doing a runner when the going gets tough so why employ them? maybe better and safer to use a translator if you dont habla espaƱol?

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more to both comments but as you say Mitzy, a bit to late now.

They did hold some money back but maybe not enough.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
ĀæDĆ³nde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Friends of mine were having some work done to their property by an English builder. Having used up all the money from the original quote, and only having done a fraction of the work, they have now seemingly scarpered.

I suggested 'denouncing' them but is this the first step they should take? Is there any possibility of them getting some money back or the work completed?

on a positive note, it is slightly possible that they have just downed tools for August - as is usual practice here in Spain
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
The lesson learnt being employ locals who have lived local and will proberly live local for the rest of their lives

Giri`s have a habit of doing a runner when the going gets tough so why employ them? maybe better and safer to use a translator if you dont habla espaƱol?

Rgds

Rotor
My brother is a master builder by trade but got a Spanish builder to build his property in Spain while he was living in the UK. Reasons? Well, firstly the local regulations but mostly, and this applies to all trades he has used and business he does in Spain, he doesn't trust expats. In his opinion a lot of them are unskilled at what they say they can do and are just trying to earn a few euros by turning their hands to anything, usually at vastly inflated prices eg aircon units and fittings. So sadly what you say seems to ring a bell.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
My brother is a master builder by trade but got a Spanish builder to build his property in Spain while he was living in the UK. Reasons? Well, firstly the local regulations but mostly, and this applies to all trades he has used and business he does in Spain, he doesn't trust expats. In his opinion a lot of them are unskilled at what they say they can do and are just trying to earn a few euros by turning their hands to anything, usually at vastly inflated prices eg aircon units and fittings. So sadly what you say seems to ring a bell.
master builder v spanish builder. boy will he be sorry
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:34 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by betris
master builder v spanish builder. boy will he be sorry
Well we wernt we used all spanish work men and the work is really good the roof is a really professional job and the electrician was first class, My OH is a builder and couldnt find anything wrong and so are his two brothers one is a developer in London.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:49 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

DIY do it yourself

and get money back mmmmmmm
ya right

look what people have sayed befor me
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more to both comments but as you say Mitzy, a bit to late now.

They did hold some money back but maybe not enough.
Do they know where he operates from .... as said, it is August and maybe hes on hols!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:18 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Well we wernt we used all spanish work men and the work is really good the roof is a really professional job and the electrician was first class, My OH is a builder and couldnt find anything wrong and so are his two brothers one is a developer in London.
wll you are one of the lucky ones. unless you do work as bad as them
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:07 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

back-track through contacts who introduced the builder, Do they know where he is.Did he employ any local labourers are they still in town. Were any permissions granted errrrrrrrm if so where his details on them. Brits want the cash they would not stop for August. How much money was lost, Was this the banks money ie mortgage if so they will be rather cross that monies was paid prior to work being completed.Payments should be staged. Were his details on any contract. Has tools etc been left on the job. No tools no return.These reinvent themselves johnnies are a waste of space, And to be honest your friend should know better, You would employ no builder in the UK without a contract unless it was a few quid for a repair, So why do it here Why have they so little details of the builder, If the building work has no permissions/illegal the Police will take no action.Having said that the thread does not explain how much is involved or type of work contracted to complete.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Aug 28th 2008 at 3:14 am.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:40 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Do they know where he operates from .... as said, it is August and maybe hes on hols!
Yes we know where he lives (roughly) and also his 'partners'. The total estimate was about 30K - stage payments were made but against man hours rather than tasks achieved (or so I understand). There's about 5K left to pay but about 10K work to do plus materials.

Most of the work was remedial (repair leaking roofs, damp proofing, building a wooden pergola) all of which, as I understand, don't need permissions.

Hindsight is wonderful, but they need help now, after the event.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:58 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Where we live you need a licence to paint the out side and to tile a new bathroom.

Betris
we employed a team of men that lived locally the electrician parents live next door but one, we were taken to work they had done and approved, they delt with all the paper work and completed on time with out any problems. I, as some others both Brits and Spanish would recomend them. We had friends who used an english crew a couple of years before we used the Spanish workmen and well the work was not finished and was over budget.
I can only state our case and our experiances.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we know where he lives (roughly) and also his 'partners'. The total estimate was about 30K - stage payments were made but against man hours rather than tasks achieved (or so I understand). There's about 5K left to pay but about 10K work to do plus materials.

Most of the work was remedial (repair leaking roofs, damp proofing, building a wooden pergola) all of which, as I understand, don't need permissions.

Hindsight is wonderful, but they need help now, after the event.

Report him to the Guardia for fraud, they will have to take a statement and pursue it,the courts will decide if its criminal or civil, I guess you have his full name /NIE? ,this is something to think about for any potential hirers, do you know exactly who you are employing? or is it just "Bob the builder" from down Bar Giri, not much use if things go wrong

It pays to have a photo copy of any contractors ID before work commences ,If they wont give it you then tell them to walk!!

Rgds

Rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.