Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Broadband In Oliva

Broadband In Oliva

Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

danielspaniel11234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband In Oliva

I will be staying in Oliva for a while in a Villa near the coast and just wondered whether the broadband was ok in this area? I'm not worried about it being super fast just want to stay connected.
Thanks
Daniel
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband In Oliva

I have a house in the town and use a carrefour dongle when I am over and that works fine.
There are also many wifi free zones in the towns bars.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

That's great thank you
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're after a connection in a house, it varies greatly. I had a 0.5 mb connection for about 5 years and it was rubbish. The exchange in Oliva apparently needs upgrading. Hence if you live slightly out of Oliva the signal is not good. Tossal Gros for instance was, as I said, around 0.5 - 0.7 mbs. Theres a dish system that I ended up with, that gives 2 mb, although I could have upgraded to 6. You have to be in line of sight of the transmitter on the mountain up the coast though.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's slow yes think I would need a dish too :P thanks for info
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234
I will be staying in Oliva for a while in a Villa near the coast and just wondered whether the broadband was ok in this area? I'm not worried about it being super fast just want to stay connected.
Thanks
Daniel
With regard to Broadband I live 1 mile from Oliva in a small village and I use a company called Europa for tv and broadband. I pay for 10mb of BB and regularly get around 7.5 mb speed. I'm not too impressed with their tv system but I do not have room for a satellite dish. Round Town Network also provide BB as do Movistar.

As far as El gorgs from you other post is concerned, I have lived here for the past 10 years and like Mitzy have never heard of it. Between Oliva and the coast is mainly orange groves with houses dotted here and there until you get to Oliva Playa (the beach area) which is a thriving holiday centre but can be deserted in the winter month.

No water or electricity. No way, would you move into a place like that in the UK. There are people here that have been waiting a long long time to have utilities connected and have to resort to using generators.

Oliva itself is a traditional Spanish town, very friendly, many bars and roadside cafes and a thriving outdoor market on a Friday. The whole area is not really a holiday destination for Brits so no lager louts etc.

Every body on this forum would advise you to come and rent before buying and get to know the area.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Oliva sounds like an ideal place for my parents as they don't want it like Benidorm anyway they will coninue to look at properties but make sure they are connected to mains.
My parents are renting In Jalon for 5 months so will be using that as their base to look at different areas. Im glad the Internet speeds are not bad in all areas of Oliva as they want a decent broadband connection for keeping in touch with family/friends in the UK.
Thanks for the helpful info
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234
Oliva sounds like an ideal place for my parents as they don't want it like Benidorm anyway they will coninue to look at properties but make sure they are connected to mains.
My parents are renting In Jalon for 5 months so will be using that as their base to look at different areas. Im glad the Internet speeds are not bad in all areas of Oliva as they want a decent broadband connection for keeping in touch with family/friends in the UK.
Thanks for the helpful info
Just as a note though to take into account ....... electricity and services aren't the only indicator of a problem.

You have to be 100% sure that the property is legal, and for that they need to employ a good solicitor when they eventually find somewhere. Don't let them pay anything to the agent involved, and make sure the solicitor has no relation to the seller / agent.

I have an excellent one in Gandia, should you need it, speaks English as well.

About Carolina Just Miró - Gandia Lawyers - Carolina Just Miró
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 4:14 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Would Javea not be a better place to look at ? (it is IMO)
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
We are going of thread but....

I was going to say why is Javea better.

When I thought about it it seems to me that we are all different and to compare one town to another is subjective.

We all love (or should ) the place we live or have a home and shall say our town is best.

It is important you find the place where you wish to be. I love Oliva but can understand why it would not suit everyone.

Similarly I enjoy the occasional visit to Javea but would not want a home there.

To sum it up you should research the area, wherever that may be, and decide what suits you best.

Renting in a couple of areas that you believe may suit you may be the best option before you finally decide.

Last edited by johnnyone; Oct 22nd 2014 at 8:16 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:00 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by VFR
I think the OP mentioned somewhere that they didnt want an expat area ... which Javea certainly is
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

We use Aeromax. No landline required. Our connection is (nominally) 6Mb - and it gets consistently close to that speed.
Just 19.99 per month +IVA (for our package - which may/may not still be available).
Includes a VOIP fixed line number, unlimited free calls to standard UK landlines and 100 minutes per month to Spanish mobiles. Their customer service is a little sporadic but generally as good or better than companies like Europa (our previous supplier) and Telefonica.

http://www4.aeromax.es
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:38 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
We use Aeromax. No landline required. Our connection is (nominally) 6Mb - and it gets consistently close to that speed.
Just 19.99 per month +IVA (for our package - which may/may not still be available).
Includes a VOIP fixed line number, unlimited free calls to standard UK landlines and 100 minutes per month to Spanish mobiles. Their customer service is a little sporadic but generally as good or better than companies like Europa (our previous supplier) and Telefonica.

aeromax. The Wireless Company
Yes, thats who I was referring to in post #4
Four of us in Tossal Gros used them. There is a setup fee of around €80, although you can reduce that if you fit and adjust the dish yourself
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, thats who I was referring to in post #4
Four of us in Tossal Gros used them. There is a setup fee of around €80, although you can reduce that if you fit and adjust the dish yourself
..........and when I did it, I supplied my own router so there was no setup fee at that time. Special offer maybe, I can't remember.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

My parents didn't like Javea tbh. Very pretty but too many English! :P
Where as I imagine in Benidorm people eat sausage and chips on the beach, in Javea I imagine they swap the sausage for smoked salmon
They don't want to live in typical expats areas. They have lived in France for 10 years but find the winters too cold so this is their main reason for moving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.