Broadband

Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband

Since moving to Spain 12 months ago, my broadband connection has been with Telefonica. At 40 euros a month I think it is quite expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper provider. Apparently I have a rural line, I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

spainpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broadband

there are cheaper offers but Telefonica own all the lines so if you have a problem with your broardband only telefonica can fix it,the cheaper provider cant touch the telephone lines,so you have to wait untill telefonica send somes one to fix your problem and that can take mounths.

internet-Providers

I would stay with tefonica
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a comparison site, although you'd need to check availability

http://www.adslzone.net/comparativa.html
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainpj
there are cheaper offers but Telefonica own all the lines so if you have a problem with your broardband only telefonica can fix it,the cheaper provider cant touch the telephone lines,so you have to wait untill telefonica send somes one to fix your problem and that can take mounths.

internet-Providers

I would stay with tefonica
Do you work for TF

Telefonica fix your line, your adsl supplier attends to the connection. Same as BT / whoever in the UK. Telefonica fix problems here within 24 hours, no problem at all.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

right telefonica fix problems here within 24 hours

but if you have ono or jazztel or one of the cheap ones you can wait for weeks or mounths before
telefonica send some to fix the problem

I had wanado spent 2 mounths with out internet
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same ADSL from Telefonica - Ambito Rural, I think its called. We were told its the only broadband option available to us due to the type of cabling/infrastructure serving our rural location. If you try to get a competitor to quote, they give up once they know your number and connection type.
So we're stuck with paying 39 euros per month for a 512kb maximum speed - until Telefonica upgrade the local hardware.
If you do manage to get a competitor to supply you, I'd love to know about it.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

you can test your broadband speed by clicking heretest
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:24 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
We have the same ADSL from Telefonica - Ambito Rural, I think its called. We were told its the only broadband option available to us due to the type of cabling/infrastructure serving our rural location. If you try to get a competitor to quote, they give up once they know your number and connection type.
So we're stuck with paying 39 euros per month for a 512kb maximum speed - until Telefonica upgrade the local hardware.
If you do manage to get a competitor to supply you, I'd love to know about it.

We have rural ADSL also with TF, but our neighbours have 1 Mb connection via a third party. I keep meaning to contact TF to ask it they'll upgrade me to 1 mb, and if not I'll go to the other supplier
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

We're out on the campo so you can't even get a phone out here let alone ADSL... but our 1 meg connection from the local rural WiFi provider was installed within 24 hours of ordering, 42€ a month. Quick and painless, the guys took barely 30 minutes - they even upgraded me to a wireless router at my request (carried a spare one in the van).

Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Since moving to Spain 12 months ago, my broadband connection has been with Telefonica. At 40 euros a month I think it is quite expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper provider. Apparently I have a rural line, I don't know if that makes a difference.
I tried 4 service providers and eventually went back to Telefonica within several months of leaving them, none of the others beat the speed or service I got from Telefonica, so I bit my tongue and got my bandwidth back again.

Sadly there are some things you just must do in Spain that you may not like, I need a good fast and reliable internet connection and it was only Telefonica that seemed to be able to give me this, so if you are willing to take the chance then fine but beware if you need reliability and bandwidth.

BTW, I had no problem with them releasing the line when I changed away from them (3 years ago), they actually offered me 3 months free service to try and keep me, anyway... I wish I had just stayed with them in the first place and saved myself the grief of the other companies out there.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
I tried 4 service providers and eventually went back to Telefonica within several months of leaving them, none of the others beat the speed or service I got from Telefonica, so I bit my tongue and got my bandwidth back again.

Sadly there are some things you just must do in Spain that you may not like, I need a good fast and reliable internet connection and it was only Telefonica that seemed to be able to give me this, so if you are willing to take the chance then fine but beware if you need reliability and bandwidth.

BTW, I had no problem with them releasing the line when I changed away from them (3 years ago), they actually offered me 3 months free service to try and keep me, anyway... I wish I had just stayed with them in the first place and saved myself the grief of the other companies out there.
How long do you have to commit for over there 30 days 1 year ??

also tyntub and anyone else do they cap your downloads or are you all unlimited, From the ADSLZONE site it is unclear.

Im with Econ, I have always paid more here in the Uk for a better service, i could go with sky or orange for free but id rather pay £20+ a month for a stable 24/7 constant very fast pretty much uncapped connection.

A long time ago when I was considering the move, my friend he has a place close to villajoyasa but no chance of a phone, I told him I would rather live in a stable with a BB connection than a penthouse without.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
How long do you have to commit for over there 30 days 1 year ??
Depends, one of the problems I had was with Tiscali, they offered a 3 month trial period, get out no questions asked, then tried to say yes no questions asked but you still had to pay a year :curse: took nearly a year to sort that one out!

Generally a contract is for a year minimum so check the time you have to get out, which is generally not much if any depending on the company.

I have never been capped upload or download by Telefonica.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends, one of the problems I had was with Tiscali, they offered a 3 month trial period, get out no questions asked, then tried to say yes no questions asked but you still had to pay a year :curse: took nearly a year to sort that one out!

Generally a contract is for a year minimum so check the time you have to get out, which is generally not much if any depending on the company.

I have never been capped upload or download by Telefonica.
cool, tiscali are in Spain one of the worst here, they took over the company I was with so I managed to get out, now im on a 30 day contract, and I have no reason to leave.

Im happy about the uncapped service, I could suffer a 1-3mb line over there knowing it was not capped, Im sure the Spanish would be turning a blind eye to piracy anyway as they do to counterfeit goods it seems, lol
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyrich666
cool, tiscali are in Spain one of the worst here, they took over the company I was with so I managed to get out ........
Im happy about the uncapped service, I could suffer a 1-3mb line over there knowing it was not capped, Im sure the Spanish would be turning a blind eye to piracy anyway as they do to counterfeit goods it seems, lol
Well some companies here do actually block ports.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Well some companies here do actually block ports.
ok, well ill research that nearer the time, thanks