Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brittany to Malaga by Motorcycle ?

Brittany to Malaga by Motorcycle ?

Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

tigersteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brittany to Malaga by Motorcycle ?

I am riding back to my winter house sitting job in Comares near Malaga in 3 weeks time.

I have as much time as I want to do the journey, probably 4 days I reckon so as not to sit on motorways which are boring on a bike!
My main options are down to the Med and ride down the coast or cross the border in northern Spain and ride through the centre of the country.
I'd love to cross through the centre of the Pyrenees but obviously the weather must be against me at this time of year!
I don't mind rain and fully expect to see plenty, but I have an aversion to Snow !!

Any experience of weather this time of year on these routes would be welcome please....

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brittany to Malaga by Motorcycle ?

Originally Posted by tigersteve
I am riding back to my winter house sitting job in Comares near Malaga in 3 weeks time.

I have as much time as I want to do the journey, probably 4 days I reckon so as not to sit on motorways which are boring on a bike!
My main options are down to the Med and ride down the coast or cross the border in northern Spain and ride through the centre of the country.
I'd love to cross through the centre of the Pyrenees but obviously the weather must be against me at this time of year!
I don't mind rain and fully expect to see plenty, but I have an aversion to Snow !!

Any experience of weather this time of year on these routes would be welcome please....

Thanks in advance!
Can't help with your question but by chance I have just been researching and planning similar trip for next summer. I am having 4 overnight stops and taking in the Pyrenees.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!
We've never crossed the border into Cataluña, but I reckon the Med coast road is a headcase for accidents. And the Med coastal roads have much the same scenery, namely all built up. But then I'm biased!!
There's no problem driving down the western side of France and with a motorbike & time you might consider crossing the Gironde at Royan and motoring thro' the Medoc & les Landes, possibly avoiding Arcachon heading south via Parentis-en Born, Mimizan, Leon, Hossegor, Biarritz, Irun. The A63 (formerly N10) now has 3-4 tolls starting from Salles, south of Bordeaux.
then head south towards Pamplona (Iruña in Basque). From there, head south-west via Puente la Reina, a lovely stop over pilgrim town with a picturesque mediaeval bridge.
Then head for Logroño (good for pintxos, Basque for tapas), Najera with a fantastic cloister, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Burgos to see the cathedral, & Valladolid.
This province has some marvellous castles, such as Coca, Medina del Campo, Peñafiel. You then could either opt for Salamanca, or else Segovia, to view the Roman aqueduct (actually 'tripleduct') & Avila. From there head due south along the N403 crossing the sierra de Gredos and on the other side you start to hit Mediterranean Spain gradually, beginning with Talavera de la Reina, though this might be a bit too far west. So head south via Toledo & Castilla la Mancha, such as Consuegra where there are some Don Quixote windmills, Ciudad Real, Cordoba and south to Malaga.
Staying overnight will be no problem anywhere.

Bonne route.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:03 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have crossed the border via Andorra on my bike. The scenery is fantastic. You should be OK to travel during November. Very unlikely to see any snow on the roads in the next three weeks. Check the weather before you go here > Andorra la Vella Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Andorra la Vella Andorra

Last edited by missile; Oct 29th 2015 at 11:17 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
We've never crossed the border into Cataluña, but I reckon the Med coast road is a headcase for accidents. And the Med coastal roads have much the same scenery, namely all built up. But then I'm biased!!
There's no problem driving down the western side of France and with a motorbike & time you might consider crossing the Gironde at Royan and motoring thro' the Medoc & les Landes, possibly avoiding Arcachon heading south via Parentis-en Born, Mimizan, Leon, Hossegor, Biarritz, Irun. The A63 (formerly N10) now has 3-4 tolls starting from Salles, south of Bordeaux.
then head south towards Pamplona (Iruña in Basque). From there, head south-west via Puente la Reina, a lovely stop over pilgrim town with a picturesque mediaeval bridge.
Then head for Logroño (good for pintxos, Basque for tapas), Najera with a fantastic cloister, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Burgos to see the cathedral, & Valladolid.
This province has some marvellous castles, such as Coca, Medina del Campo, Peñafiel. You then could either opt for Salamanca, or else Segovia, to view the Roman aqueduct (actually 'tripleduct') & Avila. From there head due south along the N403 crossing the sierra de Gredos and on the other side you start to hit Mediterranean Spain gradually, beginning with Talavera de la Reina, though this might be a bit too far west. So head south via Toledo & Castilla la Mancha, such as Consuegra where there are some Don Quixote windmills, Ciudad Real, Cordoba and south to Malaga.
Staying overnight will be no problem anywhere.

Bonne route.
Some great ideas there, thanks - the maps will be out this weekend !!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
I have crossed the border via Andorra on my bike. The scenery is fantastic. You should be OK to travel during November. Very unlikely to see any snow on the roads in the next three weeks. Check the weather before you go here > Andorra la Vella Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Andorra la Vella Andorrahttp://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...pskf94nwqd.jpg
Good idea ref. AccuWeather! I have been to Andorra a few years ago trail riding in the mountains and would like to visit again, will keep my eye on the weather a week before and make my mind up which route.

Any other ideas always welcome !!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that if you do ride along the med coast and use the Autopista(AP7) the tolls are quite expensive. Only did it once ( last year by car) Barcelona to Seville and the tolls cost more than the Fuel!
Enjoy the ride.
Pete
Old Nov 5th 2015, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Remember that if you do ride along the med coast and use the Autopista(AP7) the tolls are quite expensive. Only did it once ( last year by car) Barcelona to Seville and the tolls cost more than the Fuel!
Enjoy the ride.
Pete

Thanks for the thought , but I hate motorways on the bike so will be avoiding them for sure !
I have now decided to cross the Pyrenees , stop in Pamplona and Toledo as well as a night in France so if anyone has any recommendations for hotels in those cities that would be great.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 10:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thought , but I hate motorways on the bike so will be avoiding them for sure !I have now decided to cross the Pyrenees , stop in Pamplona and Toledo as well as a night in France so if anyone has any recommendations for hotels in those cities that would be great.
There are many hotels and you will have no problem finding a room at this time of year. Enjoy the freedom and wing it.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

We have used this hotel just outside Pamploma a couple of times and can recommend it. Hotel Iriguibel - Huarte

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Navarra.html

Last edited by big wheels; Nov 5th 2015 at 11:16 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, the weather is looking fine and I'll be on my way at the weekend
Old Nov 9th 2015, 7:27 pm
Started off with nothing

Hope you will give us a trip report?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Hope you will give us a trip report?
I will do a ride report if anyone's interested !
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Well I've arrived fine in Comares...
Four days , three nights in Belves Dordogne, Pamplona and Toledo, also stopped for a look at the Aqueduct in Segovia and the Roman bridge in Cordoba as well as other towns along the route ..
The weather was average in France after weeks of nice weather it rained on me until I left Dorgogne ,then glorious sunny days, but not too hot , just perfect riding conditions!
About 1200 miles , avoided motorways until today , hit the A45 just to get the boring but done.
The roads between Pamplona and Toledo were absolutely some of the best I've ridden, if you know the B500 in Germany and Route Napoleon, take the best bits of those, take away traffic and police presence add the sun , I couldn't stop grinning to myself ....
Now I have the bike here with me till March so much more to see down here, any takers to join in the fun??
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I wish ! can't ride a bike, loved being pillion on my late husbands bike and miss a ride out. Look at some bikers with envy :-) glad you enjoyed the trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.