Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are Brits scared of Madrid?

Are Brits scared of Madrid?

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Brits scared of Madrid?

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think that most Brits rule out Madrid, most never think of Madrid, and for me the reason is fairly obvious.

Most want a quieter life, most want a costal location, most want a place that make them feel like they are on holiday, most want a place that their visitors from UK will like.

Take away those groups and there will not be that many left in percentage terms.
As for the professionals, who are "sought after" in Spain, most would be heading to Madrid or Barcelona.

Also they would not be the type to askabout the best place for work in Spain, they would have it all swen up already and not bother with opinions on what is mainly a "winding down" expat forum. By that I mean people who have done their working hard stint and are looking for something else.
We're not all winding down JFLS. *Some* of us are still "winding up"!
(double meaning intentional)
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:17 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid is not one of my favourite places to live in a City. Prefer Barcelona, Paris or London. I loved living in London when in my 20's but wouldn't want to do it now or any other City. Still like City life but only within commuting distance for theatres and nights out etc. I like peace and quiet, dark enough to see all the star and birds singing
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, how many here would believe it, if they were told that Madrid was the 3rd richest European city (at least in 2008, before the Crisis really hit) behind London and Paris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Madrid

Madrid's metropolitan area, of 5.370 million people has too grown to become a significant European financial HUB. In 2008, Madrid's metro area was the 26th richest in the world and third richest in the European Union in terms of absolute GDP, with an economic output of $230 billion (although alternative estimates state an economy $261 billion in size) . This places Madrid behind the considerably larger metropolitan areas of London ($565 billion) and Paris ($564 billion) but ahead of Barcelona and Rome.[3]

As seen in the city of Madrid area, the Community of Madrid is also one of the richest in Europe as well as the richest in Spain. At 133.9% of the European average of 25,800€ (34,572€/$48,313) Madrid is ahead of the all other 8 Spanish regions above 100%.[4] Similarly, Madrid is just 97.8% of New York's purchasing power.

Madrid is one of the cities in the Iberian Peninsula that attracts most foreign investment and job seekers. One of the reasons for this are the wages in Madrid; despite minimum wage being just 740€ in Spain, the average salary in Madrid during 2007 was 2540€, clearly above the Spanish average of 2085€.[5] In terms of net earnings, Madrid also places first in Spain; Madrid is 28th in the world, at 78.6%.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Incidentally, how many here would believe it, if they were told that Madrid was the 3rd richest European city (at least in 2008, before the Crisis really hit) behind London and Paris?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Madrid
Yes and proof that the average wage in Spain is actually double what a lot of Brits think it is.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes and proof that the average wage in Spain is actually double what a lot of Brits think it is.
Averages can be very misleading. If you take the average of my income and an investment banker's. I'm on average earning a lot! An extreme comparison I know but The point is, the average wage in Madrid Barcelona etc are pulling up the average for the entire country. Since the comparison is between itself, and itself plus other areas. And, of course, those without any wage don't affect the figures at all. That includes larger families. There will be more single young working people per head of population in Madrid than in the countryside. That means that in the rest of the country, more people are living on less wages, as well as lower wages.
I'd be more interested to see what percentage of the total number of 'wage packets' is attributable to the major cities, before I made a sweeping statement about the level of wages in the general population of Spain.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Averages can be very misleading. If you take the average of my income and an investment banker's. I'm on average earning a lot! An extreme comparison I know but The point is, the average wage in Madrid Barcelona etc are pulling up the average for the entire country. Since the comparison is between itself, and itself plus other areas. And, of course, those without any wage don't affect the figures at all. That includes larger families. There will be more single young working people per head of population in Madrid than in the countryside. That means that in the rest of the country, more people are living on less wages, as well as lower wages.
I'd be more interested to see what percentage of the total number of 'wage packets' is attributable to the major cities, before I made a sweeping statement about the level of wages in the general population of Spain.
You could say exactly the same about the UK. I'm sure the average wage in London is twice as much as in the North.

Plus 80% of Spaniards live in cities, so what someone earns in the countryside will have a small effect on averages
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Agree, you can make figures mean whatever you want. If the follow the link(5) the figures include extra payments, overtime, back pay etc. There is no way of knowing how much overtime, or what other payments are actually included.
The Spanish average was shown €1686, or £1430, and considering those figure include all extras, that's not such a brilliant figure. The London average would dwarf Madrid's figure, it being in the region of £46,000, with the City, £82,000
Se trata del coste salarial calculado por el INE en términos brutos -antes de retenciones o pagos a la Seguridad Social- comprende todas las remuneraciones realizadas a los trabajadores por cuenta ajena. Es decir, incluye el salario base, los complementos salariales, los pagos por horas extraordinarias, los pagos extraordinarios y los atrasados.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
The Spanish average was shown €1686, or £1430, and considering those figure include all extras, that's not such a brilliant figure. The London average would dwarf Madrid's figure, it being in the region of £46,000, with the City, £82,000
You can spin the figures any way you want.

For example, Spain has two cities in the richest top 30 cities in the world, while the UK only has one

http://www.citymayors.com/economics/richest_cities.html

Make from that what you will!

Noone is denying that wages in London and the UK are higher than in Spain, but the gap isnt that big.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Hothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura about

I live in Madrid and I can understand why it is a less obvious choice for the majority of UK expats - it couldn't be further from the Med or Atlantic. Slap in the middle springs to mind. As mentioned there is a pollution issue - I'm looking at the 'boina' as I type. Admittedly not bad today but pretty nasty looking in summer when there is not a breath of wind. My wife is a Madrileno so I had reasons other than economic ones for moving here.
Are Brits scared of Madrid? Anyone driving on M30,M40, A6 etc on a Friday afternoon for the first time would be well advised to have a healthy fear of Madrid!
That aside, Madrid has a great nightlife, first rate public transport, well connected air travel, plenty museums, theatres and its fair share of green spaces.
I like living here but a beach does seem like quite a luxury right now!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hothereinnit;9202918]I live in Madrid and I can understand why it is a less obvious choice for the majority of UK expats - it couldn't be further from the Med or Atlantic. Slap in the middle springs to mind. As mentioned there is a pollution issue - I'm looking at the 'boina' as I type. Admittedly not bad today but pretty nasty looking in summer when there is not a breath of wind. My wife is a Madrileno so I had reasons other than economic ones for moving here.
Are Brits scared of Madrid? Anyone driving on M30,M40, A6 etc on a Friday afternoon for the first time would be well advised to have a healthy fear of Madrid!
That aside, Madrid has a great nightlife, first rate public transport, well connected air travel, plenty museums, theatres and its fair share of green spaces.
I like living here but a beach does seem like quite a luxury right now![/QUOTE]

Well the train to Valencia is only 90 minutes now?
Are you working/studying/taking it easy in Madrid?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

Sorry, just looked at your other posts, found out you got work as a plumber. Hope you've not been hit too badly by "la crisis". A Glaswegian plumber in Madrid hey? Who'd have thought it?

Hi, i'm a Plumber and I recently moved to Madrid (September) from Glasgow so i'm pretty green but managed to get a job with a Plumbing company today with a view to start next week, so I can give you what little info I have. I received my 'Numero De Identidad De Extranjero' on Tuesday this week from the office in 'Plaza De Campillo Del Nuevo Mundo, no3' (about 5 minutes walk from Puerta de Toledo Metro station). It took a month from picking up the application to the date of interview and cost 6 Euro's. I now need to get 'Numero De Seguridad Social' from 'Tesoreria De Seguridad Social' on Avenida Mediterraneo then I should be good to go. To be honest the whole interview type meeting was pretty laid back, I think the Spanish firms are used to guys turning up without tools claiming to be Plumbers, Sparks, Joiners etc - same as UK, so bring your tools if at all possible. I got help from a friend of my girlfriend who is an Architects assistant so can't help too much with the search side but will post any new info when I get it. You probably had most of this anyway but hope it was of some use.

Cheers, Neil.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

CazW54 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a week on a break there in cool and windy November with my daughter and loved the place- parks, museums and lifestyle generally. And not forgetting the restaurants and Flamenco dancing. The underground was easy and safe to use. It's a good atmosphere.

I am a bit of a townie though and would get bored looking at trees in a village or lounging on a beach or balcony all day, every day. Each to his/her own.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CazW54
I spent a week on a break there in cool and windy November with my daughter and loved the place- parks, museums and lifestyle generally. And not forgetting the restaurants and Flamenco dancing. The underground was easy and safe to use. It's a good atmosphere.

I am a bit of a townie though and would get bored looking at trees in a village or lounging on a beach or balcony all day, every day. Each to his/her own.
I agree about the Metro feeling safe. Although once I caught someone trying to unzip and dip my shoulder bag. Looked perfectly normal too. I gave him a long cold stare but wish I'd been a bit more vocal or stamped on his foot!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

I go to Madrid a lot and I love it, fab city, great night life, great food and museums etc!