Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brits Going Home

Brits Going Home

Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits Going Home

Originally Posted by amideislas

I reckon that's largely due to the exchange rate. If you look at travel forums like TripAdvisor, many Brits are moaning about how Mallorca has "raised its prices". Although the prices seem to be about the same as before.
No doubt the majority of the ones complaining voted to leave in the referendum. They will moan even more if after Brexit the ehic goes and they have to pay for travel insurance which no doubt if no ehic will also go up.

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 8th 2018 at 8:31 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate does not help plus the fact that Spain is no longer a cheap place to live or visit.

One reason for the drop in brit bookings is down to people visiting different countries. For years I would holiday in Spain five or six times a year...I've not been to mainland Spain for over a year now; I've been to the States, Cyprus, Crete, Bulgaria and France instead.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

British tourists to Spain rose by 7% in 2017 over 2016.
The % of Brits as tourists may be declining but the numbers do not appear to be.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
The exchange rate does not help plus the fact that Spain is no longer a cheap place to live or visit.

One reason for the drop in brit bookings is down to people visiting different countries. For years I would holiday in Spain five or six times a year...I've not been to mainland Spain for over a year now; I've been to the States, Cyprus, Crete, Bulgaria and France instead.
Well I think mainland Spain is still cheap. We shop, spend 100 euros and get meat cheese etc. Way too much booze to be healthy and its far cheaper than Sainsbury and Tesco (But there are other supermarkets!) We go out and eat out in Spain far more than in the UK at least 3 times a week and in good restaurants and the meals with wine average 25 euros a head not sure you would get that even in a pub in the SE of England. The most expensive place we have been in Europe if considered as! recently is Israel stupid prices!
Old Mar 8th 2018, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Well I think mainland Spain is still cheap. We shop, spend 100 euros and get meat cheese etc. Way too much booze to be healthy and its far cheaper than Sainsbury and Tesco (But there are other supermarkets!) We go out and eat out in Spain far more than in the UK at least 3 times a week and in good restaurants and the meals with wine average 25 euros a head not sure you would get that even in a pub in the SE of England. The most expensive place we have been in Europe if considered as! recently is Israel stupid prices!
Mainland Spain is definitely overall cheaper than say Mallorca and some of the Greek Islands. Don't know about restaurant prices in SE England these days, but for 25 Euros you would get excellent food here in our part of Ireland and it's always considered more expensive than UK, so can't imagine it's that bad where you are. Apart from Alcohol of course, you would get fresh lobster for that price. Some restaurants even let you bring your own wine these days.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bridie55
The most expensive place we have been in Europe if considered as! recently is Israel stupid prices!
I have recently returned from visiting my daughter in Norway. Now that's expensive! A pub type lunch (fish and chips) for 2 with a couple of drinks each £100.

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 8th 2018 at 7:17 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have recently returned from visiting my daughter in Norway. Now that's expensive! A pub type lunch (fish and chips) for 2 with a couple of drinks each £100.
That's why most of Almunecar is full of Northern Europeans. Met a couple of Danes today they rent here in Almunecar for 9 months have done for years, they said they stay for winter but 9 months that's some long winter! But rents food living is so cheap to them.