Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British videos on Spanish recorder/tv?

British videos on Spanish recorder/tv?

Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Amanda61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British videos on Spanish recorder/tv?

Hi, I would like to give a young Spanish girl a video ( remember them?!!!) she likes but I am wondering if she will be able to play it on her own TV when she returns to Spain?
It is a 'bought' video....Grease.....so not self recorded! Would it still come out in colour as someone has suggested that it MAY only be in black and white...which isn't ideal..especially for that film!!!
Any help gratefully recieved.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British videos on Spanish recorder/tv?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked it up online and the answer was yes it should be okay as the spanish dvd and video systems are pal region 2 which covers England and most of Europe. I hope I have this correct but according to them there shouldn't be a problem. x
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it will work. The problem in the past was with the video recorder itself. It would play a tape OK but it wouldn't record the TV properly as the TV tuner in the VCR was not compatible with the Spanish TV standard.

That's all gone out the window now as they won't receive anything anymore as the signals are all digital.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:18 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is ok but remember that a uk DIGITAL (freeview) box dont work 100 percent correctly here as it is cheap for a spanish one (€25) just buy one here
this dont apply to the TV set ,problem is only with the seperate boxes
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Who said anything about UK set top boxes?

I thought we were talking about VCRs.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that videos were protected back then as I have long used a Thai purchased video player to play UK videos, I think it is about twenty years old (Gold Star) and still works fine. Isn't it the actual output from the video player to TV's that can cause problems rather than actually playing the video? (which would not be a problem in this case)
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:30 pm

Actually videos were never region coded - that only applies to DVDs.

They were either PAL (fine in Europe) or NTSC (which does't work).

As I said it is the TV tuner in the VCR which is not compatible across Europe. If the VCR is connected to the TV via SCART cable then playback is Ok. If you use the RF output (the antenna cable) from the VCR then you get the same problem.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:26 am
Banned

lots of my old customers are now throwing away their tapes as they have gone moldy and can cause the heads to be destroyed ...you need to look at the reels
and if that are all black fine...if they have white on them then throw it in the bin
(reference to digtal tv was because people were talking different standards
so i thought to put that point across)
PLEASE DONT KEEP ANY PERSONAL VIDEOS - GET IT CHANGED TO DVD
they dont last forever....
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
lots of my old customers are now throwing away their tapes as they have gone moldy and can cause the heads to be destroyed ...you need to look at the reels
and if that are all black fine...if they have white on them then throw it in the bin
(reference to digtal tv was because people were talking different standards
so i thought to put that point across)
PLEASE DONT KEEP ANY PERSONAL VIDEOS - GET IT CHANGED TO DVD
they dont last forever....
Nor do DVD's!

What's the next format going to be?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:31 pm
Banned

dont know of any DVDS that are kept in their box that dont last .....its putting everything on a cloud thats the future ....
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If, for example, pictures were stored on a CD, then the CD has a shorter life that of the pictures were printed on paper.

I undertook a major review for the MOD/Government in UK and this was one of the findings. DVD's now have to be renewed every few years to preserve (for certain) any data on them.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If, for example, pictures were stored on a CD, then the CD has a shorter life that of the pictures were printed on paper.
Some say that CDs have a life of 30 years but there are no guarantees and that some could fail in a year or two.

Sensible backup strategies for important data always include more than one backup copy (preferably in different locations) and regular checking of the validity of the backup. If the backup fails you create a new backup from the second backup and so on.

Hard disks fail as well and so do the new solid state storage devices.

As BAT7311 said, the "Cloud" is the obvious solution. The cloud storage is huge and has built in backup procedures so the chance of losing something is minute. Backing up to two separate cloud services must be the most secure option and most are free unless you have loads of data. I get 25gb free on Skydrive.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:09 am
Banned

yes ...but PLEASE PLEASE get those old family videos out and CHECK them and
get them put on DVD and THEN you can look for a more long term (ie cloud) storage
I HAVE NOTICED A HIGH INCREASE THIS YEAR IN DEAD VHS TAPES - mostly from
retired brits bringing them to spain ,,,,