British tv

Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:08 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British tv

Do you mean TDT???
That is Spanish digital television..that is replacing the older analogue tv system (generally old analogues will be swicthed off in the next few weeks - before easter?)

TDT has been going for a few years now, and has been available across most of spain for a good few years now.... it is only now that the old analogue system is being swicthed off are people suddenyl talking about "this new digital" system, when in fact it is not new, its just that people have left it until the last moment to convert....(just like the many people who ignored the "sky card will expire get a new card" messages since october 2009, and then say that they have lost channels what do they do!)

You dont need a "digital aerial", just a TV aerial (a tv aerial is a TV aerial, its just how it is configured means it will receive either old analogue or new digtal siganls), probably a measthead amplifier and powersupply, and a digital tuner....

then you can get TDT - depending on what is being pumped out of the transmitters in your area, you can get anywhere from 20 to 40 digital spanish tv channels.

only a few areas of valencia have Canal9 HD...

chect tdt.es, input your postcode, check your town, and see what services you can get from which transmitter.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Do you mean TDT???
That is Spanish digital television..that is replacing the older analogue tv system (generally old analogues will be swicthed off in the next few weeks - before easter?)

TDT has been going for a few years now, and has been available across most of spain for a good few years now.... it is only now that the old analogue system is being swicthed off are people suddenyl talking about "this new digital" system, when in fact it is not new, its just that people have left it until the last moment to convert....(just like the many people who ignored the "sky card will expire get a new card" messages since october 2009, and then say that they have lost channels what do they do!)

You dont need a "digital aerial", just a TV aerial (a tv aerial is a TV aerial, its just how it is configured means it will receive either old analogue or new digtal siganls), probably a measthead amplifier and powersupply, and a digital tuner....

then you can get TDT - depending on what is being pumped out of the transmitters in your area, you can get anywhere from 20 to 40 digital spanish tv channels.

chect tdt.es, input your postcode, check your town, and see what services you can get from which transmitter.
Guy, there is an unused Spanish dish on our roof, if I extend the cable to ours do you reckon it will pick up tdt channels, we have a tuner in the TV. TIA
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:10 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Guy, there is an unused Spanish dish on our roof, if I extend the cable to ours do you reckon it will pick up tdt channels, we have a tuner in the TV. TIA
No.

TDT is a terrestrial TV service - ie from terrestrial land based transmitters.
A satellite dish is used for reception of "extra terrestrial" signals - ie from satellites.

TDT (generally) is received via a TV aerial on the roof.

(In the same way you cannot get UK Freeview via a satellite dish - as Freeview is a terrestrial based system.)

However, TDT can be picked up via a satellite dish under very special circumstances and a bit of red tape if you can confirm that you are in the 5% of spain that is unable to recive a terrestrial signal. This type of receiver actually receives the signals from the satellites that are feeding the land based trasnmitters! It is encrypted, hence the need for special receivers.

Last edited by The Guy; Mar 8th 2010 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No.

TDT is a terrestrial TV service - ie from terrestrial land based transmitters.
A satellite dish is used for reception of "extra terrestrial" signals - ie from satellites.

TDT (generally) is received via a TV aerial on the roof.

(In the same way you cannot get UK Freeview via a satellite dish - as Freeview is a terrestrial based system.)

However, TDT can be picked up via a satellite dish under very special circumstances and a bit of red tape if you can confirm that you are in the 5% of spain that is unable to recive a terrestrial signal. This type of receiver actually receives the signals from the satellites that are feeding the land based trasnmitters! It is encrypted, hence the need for special receivers.
Cheers mate, looks like an aerial is on the books then when it stops raining lol
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean TDT???

Thanks for that Guy.
I have been receiving a digital service for a while, until the wind recently left my antennas in a tangled heap.
My neighbours had similar antennas but recently replaced them with what appears to be a new type with sort of oval shaped elements, as against the previous conventional straight elements.
Also he is now pointing it in a slightly different direction to what I believe is a new transmitter which is closer than the one they picked up from before.
He tells me I need one of the new type antennas to receive from the newer transmitter, so I just wondered if these are tuned or matched to the frequency of the newer transmitter and therefore the antenna type previously in use for the other digital transmitter would not be so good.
Just to clarify.
As I understand it both the transmitters I mention I presume are broadcasting the same digital channels.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Mar 8th 2010 at 5:22 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:21 pm

As far as I know a TV aerial is a TV aerial.

There are no such things as digital TV aerials ... just "TV aerial"
These can be configured for analogue TV or digital TV.
Although some have higher db qualities than others....

OI know not of any "special" tv aerials required for any special TDT transmitters
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know a TV aerial is a TV aerial.

There are no such things as digital TV aerials ... just "TV aerial"
These can be configured for analogue TV or digital TV.
Although some have higher db qualities than others....

OI know not of any "special" tv aerials required for any special TDT transmitters
I dont profess to know much about TV antennas and transmissions,however at my UK location I have a choice of two transmitters, and to get the best signal I use an antenna which is matched to the frequency of the transmitter to which it is directed.
I do have some experience of ham radio and know it is important to cut or match the antennas to the exact frequency in use as far as possible for the best signal.
To what extent this applies to the various TV frequencies I am not too sure, but obviously if two transmitters are in range it is best to maximise the signal from the chosen one and reject from the other slightly different frequency as far as posiible to avoid ghosting or interference.
As I understand it TV transmitters in a given area of the country use different frequencies in order to reduce the co interference risk.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:54 pm

Most TDT frequencies across Spain are the same - either 58 or 62 for TVE, then 66-69 for the rest, with local services on other frequencies.

The theory says you should not get "ghosting" on digital, but you some say you can.

YOu can go to tdt.es put in your postcode and confirm yout town to see where your main transmitter is, but the site does not show the local repeaters that may be in the area.

You may also need masthead amplifer and powersupply, which are way way better than internal amplifiers....its better to have the amplifier near the aerial, rather than at the TV as the one by the TV will also amplify allthe noice along the cable!