Reload this Page >

British or Spanish Computer??

British or Spanish Computer??

Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question British or Spanish Computer??

Hi,

Before moving over to Spain I would really like to replace my desktop PC system with a more streamlined laptop / notebook.
Could anyone please advise me as to whether it might better to buy one here in the UK before I go, or would it be less hassle to buy one in Spain?

Are there generally any compatability problems with PCs intended for the UK market - indeed, would one work over there without modification, other than an adaptor plug?

And is there such a good selection as in the UK?
Any advice appreciated - cheers

C-Cat
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:00 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British or Spanish Computer??

I used my UK laptop in Spain for two years without problem. Unless you're going to be typing in Spanish and want a Spanish keyboard an English one is fine.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Spain Bound is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. My UK pc works fine, and I'm now on broadband as well. I also think that there are probably better deals available in the UK. I know that's a bit of a sweeping statement but it is my impression. I'd say buy it there.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: British or Spanish Computer??

I agree with the statement that bringing your own over here is absolutley no problem, but I do disagree with the fact that to buy one, it is cheaper in UK, in our local shopping mall, (40kms) distance you can buy up to date complete system for two thirds UK price, ( I do mean up to date) I do know what I am talking about (before anyone jumps down my throat) I belong to family of computer IT experts.
But the choice is yours
Pat
Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, no-one will jump down your throat (I hope!) - you're just trying to help, like the rest of us. That sounds good, where is this place and what can you get (for example) at two thirds the price?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
I agree with the statement that bringing your own over here is absolutley no problem, but I do disagree with the fact that to buy one, it is cheaper in UK, in our local shopping mall, (40kms) distance you can buy up to date complete system for two thirds UK price, ( I do mean up to date) I do know what I am talking about (before anyone jumps down my throat) I belong to family of computer IT experts.
But the choice is yours
Pat
Thanks for the helpful replies. If I did decide to bring my desktop PC to Spain (don't think I can bear to part with it as I've only had it a year!) is a 2-pin plug adaptor the only thing I'd need, or would a more complicated adjustment be necessary for it to work? Sorry if this sounds silly but it's very important to me, as I use my computer for work.
Thanks
C-Cat
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, a two pin adapter is all you need. Cost under 2 euros.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

firstly, the shop I know of is in the comercial centre at El Ejido, if you are still interested will be there friday and post details once home. secondly buy a surge protector because of the power cuts etc, well worth the cost, I am still using three pin plugs with adaptors but connected to mains with surge protector extension lead.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

A surge protector will certainly protect against power surges but for serious protection from surges, spikes, brown outs and actual power cuts you need to consider investing in a UPS.

I would agree that computers in Spain are good value but unless you are going to be comfortable with Windows and any other pre-loaded programs in Spanish you need to be sure that they will load everything in English for you.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:07 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spain Bound
Hey, no-one will jump down your throat (I hope!) - you're just trying to help, like the rest of us. That sounds good, where is this place and what can you get (for example) at two thirds the price?

If you buy a laptop computer in the likes of Gran Canaria, can it be brought into mainland Spain duty free?? That would be my idea of taking a computer into Spain at the cheapest price..
Old Oct 28th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

For those of you who do not know what UPS is see below,

UPS then its basically a battery that plugs in between your PC etc to the mains, so in the event of power loss everything keeps going on battery, heavy buggers though! Can get software to shut the PC's down gracefully while you are not about - if and when it happens.

Pat
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sibsie
Unless you're going to be typing in Spanish and want a Spanish keyboard an English one is fine.
The the need arises you enter any special character buy pressing alt and the four digit code on the numeric keypad. Look at the character mapper to find the codes.

Otherwise you could simply buy a spanish keyboard very cheaply.

Software like spell checking will be different, but you can download the spanish version of OpenOffice for free from http://www.openoffice.org/ or install Linux with a spanish language option.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I recently had to fix a laptop owned by an Argentinian.
It was the first time I had dealt with a different language version of Windows, and brought about it's own set of difficulties esp not having the original installation disks.

You may want to check that the shops in Spain can load an English version of Windows for you - or then again you might like to have a Spanish version. Just a thought.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

You can add Spanish as a secondary language in Windows XP - control panel, regional and language options, languages . Click details box and add, you can then easily switch between english and spanish keyboard modes to get the Spanish character set.

Buying:
Spain isn't really up to speed with online ordering like in the UK so there isn't a great deal of competition. In Britain you can get fantastic prices on pc parts.

Laptops - generally cheaper in the UK from my experience.

New PCs - not so many mail order companies here so , again, not so much competition. You could and can pay 200 euros for a crappy CRT 17" monitor, something that can cost between 30 and 60 quid now in the UK.

Shop around, strangely LIDL and the Hipermarkets tend to have the best deals I've seen so far but not everything is available all the time. He who sleeps misses the half price memory sticks.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:01 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
You can add Spanish as a secondary language in Windows XP - control panel, regional and language options, languages . Click details box and add, you can then easily switch between english and spanish keyboard modes to get the Spanish character set.
How does that work?
One of the problems I found when installing English Win98 over Spanish was that things like My Desktop, My Documents, Start Menu are named differently. To get things back the way they wre I had to go in to the 'Inicio' folder and copy the structure to the 'Start Menu' folder etc.
Does WinXP handle this differently, after all these are special name folders to the OS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.