Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British kids workshy - Jamie Olivier

British kids workshy - Jamie Olivier

Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default British kids workshy - Jamie Olivier

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...shy-youngsters

TV chef Jamie Oliver has attacked British young people as embarrassingly "wet" children who struggle with the notion of physical work and get their mothers to stick up for them.

In an interview with the Observer to launch his latest TV project, Jamie's Dream School, in which he invites celebrities and academics to try to engage 20 school dropouts in learning, Oliver describes the problems of recruiting staff for his restaurants.

"When it comes to the 16- to 20-year-olds we see at the moment, I've never experienced such a wet generation," he said. "I'm embarrassed to look at British kids. You get their mummies phoning up and saying: 'He's too tired, you're working him too hard' – even the butch ones."

The Essex-born chef and social campaigner said the contrast between British youngsters and other Europeans was tangible. "I've got bulletproof, rock-solid Polish and Lithuanians who are tough and work hard. Physical graft and grunt is something this generation is struggling with," said the father of four.
Looking at the numbers of jobs (where they exist) that are taken by Rumanians or South Americans, could we say the same about Spanish youth too? Or is Jamie being too harsh about the younger generation?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British kids workshy - Jamie Olivier

I think Jamie is right, but Spanish kids may be going the same way. I can't believe it when I see Spanish mothers meeting their kids from school or from the bus and then carrying their school bags home for them - in some cases the kids are taller than the mothers, as well!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What makes the British kids workshy....giving them dole when they leave school. Spanish kids get nothing so they are a bit more motivated.

Have to say I would be workshy if faced with working with Oliver
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I think it starts well before they leave school - when I lived in England I used to see one mother driving her son from street to street to do his paper round in the mornings - I kid you not! I also know lots of middle class parents who do their children's homework for them. What kind of favour do these people think they are doing their kids?

I haven't got children of my own (can't you tell?) but my OH has two, and when his son aged 14 came to stay with us in the school holidays to attend a basketball summer school, I could not believe that he had never travelled by bus on his own. From the age of 11 I used to catch 3 buses each way to get to school and back, leaving at 7.30 am and not getting home until 5.30 pm, then having 2 or 3 hours' homework to do every night - and no help with it either! At least it was good training for developing a work ethic.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What makes the British kids workshy....giving them dole when they leave school. Spanish kids get nothing so they are a bit more motivated.
Well, I have to say that I put it down to international firms in the UK choosing to bus in cheaper EE workers, or trendy shops and bars preferring to employ the photogenic English language student to Wayne or Waynetta from the estate. But you may be right... It's noticeable that Germany's recruiting heavily from Spain and Portugal, but they seem to have given up on the British workforce. It doesn't bode well for the future.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, since we have so many workshy kids we must ensure that they all get jobs.

But wait! There aren't enough jobs to give to all those who want jobs, so what precisely are we going to do?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh well, since we have so many workshy kids we must ensure that they all get jobs.

But wait! There aren't enough jobs to give to all those who want jobs, so what precisely are we going to do?
There are jobs, but people wan't take them as they get more money 'on the dole' or through job seekers allowance, or other benefits. Not only the kids that are like that, there are loads of adults with the same outlook. Where I used to work we had one person who decided to give up his job and live on benefits as he would get more that way. Young girls state quite openly about getting pregnant, 'so the council will have to find me somewhere to live', and they will pay me. Then they moan about the type of accomodation they are given.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are jobs, but people wan't take them as they get more money 'on the dole' or through job seekers allowance.

Jobseekers allowance age 18-25 is £51.85 per week, I cant think of any jobs that pay that.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Jobseekers allowance age 18-25 is £51.85 per week, I cant think of any jobs that pay that.
exactly
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

They might as well get an apprenticeship for £95 quid a week, and please people, don't tell me that there are not enough of them out there, there are, but kids don't want to work, they want to become famous, they want to get it all for nothing and it all to happen tomorrow.

Screw em, the lot of them, they don't appreciate what they have, we didn't, they won't and their children wont.... there are too many of the feckers anyway.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:56 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are jobs, but people wan't take them as they get more money 'on the dole' or through job seekers allowance, or other benefits. Not only the kids that are like that, there are loads of adults with the same outlook. Where I used to work we had one person who decided to give up his job and live on benefits as he would get more that way. Young girls state quite openly about getting pregnant, 'so the council will have to find me somewhere to live', and they will pay me. Then they moan about the type of accomodation they are given.
Really? I had no idea that there were enough jobs for everyone.

I do agree that there are far too many people out there that want 'money for nothing' or prefer to sit on the social.

Let them sit and rot there for all I care. There really aren't enough jobs for everyone, so who would want to beat an unwilling horse when there are so many people who really want to work.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:58 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They might as well get an apprenticeship for £95 quid a week, and please people, don't tell me that there are not enough of them out there, there are, but kids don't want to work, they want to become famous, they want to get it all for nothing and it all to happen tomorrow.

Screw em, the lot of them, they don't appreciate what they have, we didn't, they won't and their children wont.... there are too many of the feckers anyway.
Apprenticeships are a great idea, and I wish to god they would bring more in. The trouble is, so many people look down on working with their hands. In Germany, 'Handwerks' are respected professions, and a meister is a meister, and deserving of respect no matter what the trade.

Money for nothing and the drinks for free, eh?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Money for nothing and the drinks for free, eh?
We're in Dire Straits here.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:04 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
We're in Dire Straits here.
Very, very good.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:06 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
Very, very good.
You set it up, I just had to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.