Reload this Page >

British Citizen + non-EU spouse residency Spain

British Citizen + non-EU spouse residency Spain

Old Jan 6th 2018, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

richiep87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow British Citizen + non-EU spouse residency Spain

Hi all,
I am a British citizen living in UK with my wife who is from Chile and on a UK spouse visa. We are looking at moving to live in Spain, which I understand we are able to do by "exercising our treaty rights".

I have some questions with regards to registering our residency in Spain once we arrive.

Marriage Certificate - The requirements appear to show we need to show a marriage certificate issued by an EU country. Given we were married in Chile and that the UK does not register foreign marriages any more, I am not sure how to get this document. Does anybody have experience here?

Proof of funds - I will either be working via the internet with my current job in the UK (UK work contract), or will have quit and be looking for work in Spain! What documents do I need to show for each case? Can I apply for residency if looking for work in Spain or how much do I need to show in savings?

Many thanks!
RichieP
Old Jan 6th 2018, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen + non-EU spouse residency Spain

Originally Posted by richiep87
Hi all,
I am a British citizen living in UK with my wife who is from Chile and on a UK spouse visa. We are looking at moving to live in Spain, which I understand we are able to do by "exercising our treaty rights".

I have some questions with regards to registering our residency in Spain once we arrive.

Marriage Certificate - The requirements appear to show we need to show a marriage certificate issued by an EU country. Given we were married in Chile and that the UK does not register foreign marriages any more, I am not sure how to get this document. Does anybody have experience here?

Proof of funds - I will either be working via the internet with my current job in the UK (UK work contract), or will have quit and be looking for work in Spain! What documents do I need to show for each case? Can I apply for residency if looking for work in Spain or how much do I need to show in savings?

Many thanks!
RichieP
The British Consulate in Spain should be able to issue an affidavit confirming the validity of your marriage certificate. You take your original plus a certified translation , swear to the veracity of the marriage and they produce a beautiful formal document with ribbons. At least that is what they did for us, UK citizen married to a Brasilian in Brasil.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial...ge-recognition

If you become resident ( after 90 days you should apply ) you will need to provide proof of health cover , normally private insurance , and a minimum level of income so as "Not to be a burden on the State" After 183 days you become tax resident so worthwhile you looking at becoming Spanish Self-Employed ( Autonomo ) and compare the tax charges which will be made on your worldwide income.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 6:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks!
RichieP
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

richiep87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Many thanks for getting back to me.

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The British Consulate in Spain should be able to issue an affidavit confirming the validity of your marriage certificate. You take your original plus a certified translation , swear to the veracity of the marriage and they produce a beautiful formal document with ribbons. At least that is what they did for us, UK citizen married to a Brasilian in Brasil.
Great find! Just what I was looking for. so thank you. Trust the Brits to charge £200 for the privilege...
Saying that, I just had a look on the Spanish immigration website (which forum wont let me link to until I have > 5 posts!) which says that if a document is stamped with the Hague Apostille then no further legalisation is required. The Chilean documents come with a verifiable e-apostille so perhaps the UK certificate is optional (or is this wishful thinking)?

If you become resident ( after 90 days you should apply ) you will need to provide proof of health cover , normally private insurance , and a minimum level of income so as "Not to be a burden on the State" After 183 days you become tax resident so worthwhile you looking at becoming Spanish Self-Employed ( Autonomo ) and compare the tax charges which will be made on your worldwide income.
Does the IHIC card issued by the UK not count as health insurance cover?
Also, thank you for the info on Autonomo, I will take a look into this.

Thanks,
richiep
Old Jan 7th 2018, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Many thanks for getting back to me.

Great find! Just what I was looking for. so thank you. Trust the Brits to charge £200 for the privilege...
Saying that, I just had a look on the Spanish immigration website (which forum wont let me link to until I have > 5 posts!) which says that if a document is stamped with the Hague Apostille then no further legalisation is required. The Chilean documents come with a verifiable e-apostille so perhaps the UK certificate is optional (or is this wishful thinking)?

Thanks,
richiep
Not sure about the optional bit, just telling you what we did..
EHIC card really for short term tourism not for residency, you will need separate cover
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
richiep
No, EHIC is definitely not
acceptable. It will either have to be Private Medical Insurance OR under Autonomo you will have Spanish nhs cover included. Trouble is, does residency have to be approved (well, signing onto the Foreigners register for EU citizens) before you can register as Autonomo? I don't have the answer to that. What you must do is realise that admin procedures here are onerous and can be long winded to say the least. Get it all straight in your head before you make the move. Look at the Autonomo payments and conditions as well!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Also the health insurance has to be very comprehensive cover with no co payments. If you look for quotes make sure you inform the insurer you want cover to obtain residency. One further thing they are now insisting that the full years cover is paid. No doubt got wise to people cancelling a monthly paid policy as soon as they have residency.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lurchio
No, EHIC is definitely not
acceptable. It will either have to be Private Medical Insurance OR under Autonomo you will have Spanish nhs cover included. Trouble is, does residency have to be approved (well, signing onto the Foreigners register for EU citizens) before you can register as Autonomo? I don't have the answer to that. What you must do is realise that admin procedures here are onerous and can be long winded to say the least. Get it all straight in your head before you make the move. Look at the Autonomo payments and conditions as well!
Yes need to be resident to be an Autonomo but worth looking at if planning to be a long term resident as can make SS contributions to a Spanish pension. Issue will be the detail of the tax charges so a careful study needed of advantages and disadvantages.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Yes need to be resident to be an Autonomo but worth looking at if planning to be a long term resident as can make SS contributions to a Spanish pension. Issue will be the detail of the tax charges so a careful study needed of advantages and disadvantages.
Thank you, I had a feeling but wasn't sure. In that case, Private medical insurance as Bob outlined to get residency. Thats what I meant, get the full picture in your head.