Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brit wins £101 mill

Brit wins £101 mill

Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:00 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brit wins £101 mill

But will it make them happy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15225014
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit wins £101 mill

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
That really depends on your or their definition of happy
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:04 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
That really depends on your or their definition of happy
Well, 101 mil would make me pretty damn happy.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Maybe they're already happy and it will simply disrupt their lives.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:08 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Maybe they're already happy and it will simply disrupt their lives.
Then they should give it to me.

Simples!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:26 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Then they should give it to me.

Simples!
Same thing applies.
You seem to be living very happily in your own personal near perfect little parallel universe.
Why change it and have the whole world and his wife on your back wanting a piece of the action, not to mention all the unwanted media attention ?
Please don't tell me with the best will in the world that it's possible to keep such a thing under wraps.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:34 pm
bil
Banned

Same thing applies.
You seem to be living very happily in your own personal near perfect little parallel universe.
Why change it and have the whole world and his wife on your back wanting a piece of the action, not to mention all the unwanted media attention ?
Please don't tell me with the best will in the world that it's possible to keep such a thing under wraps.
I think you can cope with it a lot better if you have brains. It's possible to remain anonymous, especially if you mix a little truth in there. I'd say I had a win, just not that it was a big one. That would explain the gifts I'd be able to make to friends and family that had problems and that I could free.

As you say, I have a pretty comfortable life here, and I don't crave a whole lot of status symbols. So, it wouldn't change my life much in some ways.

Last edited by bil; Oct 8th 2011 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the myth that money doesn't bring happiness was put around by the rich in the past. After all if you don't want it think of the pleasure you could get dishing it out. Many have won large amounts and we never hear of them, we just hear about the ones who probably had problems anyway.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:58 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
I think you can cope with it a lot better if you have brains. It's possible to remain anonymous, especially if you mix a little truth in there. I'd say I had a win, just not that it was a big one. That would explain the gifts I'd be able to make to friends and family that had problems and that I could free.

As you say, I have a pretty comfortable life here, and I don't crave a whole lot of status symbols. So, it wouldn't change my life much in some ways.
Yes much the same and I have no cravings for luxury yachts, ferraris, or even mansions with moats or duck houses.

Happiness is a state of mind though possibly contentment would be a more apt expression, as I doubt if anyone can be happy 100% of the time.

I still think it would be much better to split these huge prizes up and hopefully give many more ppl. a little more contentment or peace of mind.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:05 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think the myth that money doesn't bring happiness was put around by the rich in the past. After all if you don't want it think of the pleasure you could get dishing it out. Many have won large amounts and we never hear of them, we just hear about the ones who probably had problems anyway.
I wouldn't say it's the norm, but I've read numerous stories of ppl.having big wins on the old football pools and ending up with virtually nothing having had their whole lives disrupted badly, falling out with family and friends and all the rest.
It could possibly be argued it was mostly their own stupid fault, but nevertheless it does seem to have happened quite often.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:20 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Spot on. Money + brains + common sense = happiness (most of the time)
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:22 pm
bil
Banned

Yes much the same and I have no cravings for luxury yachts, ferraris, or even mansions with moats or duck houses.

Happiness is a state of mind though possibly contentment would be a more apt expression, as I doubt if anyone can be happy 100% of the time.

I still think it would be much better to split these huge prizes up and hopefully give many more ppl. a little more contentment or peace of mind.
Big prizes make more money, because people seem to think that the bigger the pot, the more likely they are to win.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:23 pm
bil
Banned

I wouldn't say it's the norm, but I've read numerous stories of ppl.having big wins on the old football pools and ending up with virtually nothing having had their whole lives disrupted badly, falling out with family and friends and all the rest.
It could possibly be argued it was mostly their own stupid fault, but nevertheless it does seem to have happened quite often.
Without wishing to seem elitist, I think it's a class thing. Middleclass invest a windfall like that, whereas working class tend to feel that in becoming rich, they have 'betrayed their class', and the only way to redeem themselves in the eyes of their peers is to piss it up the wall asap.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:36 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Spot on. Money + brains + common sense = happiness (most of the time)
What about Rooney who with his endless pile of lolly never seems to be very happy either on the field or off it ?

Can only presume that he's a little short in the brain/common-sense dept. especially judging by last nights ridiculous tantrum, though rumour has it that his old man had two grand on him at fairly long odds getting red carded.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:41 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well I watched a program about all the big lotto winners, one guy bought his pals a house and holidays all over the world and now they don't even talk to them, One was even taking a fn old friend to court over some mess over money he gave them.

So the best thing to do is Learn from their mistakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.