Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brit populations near big cities.

Brit populations near big cities.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

sloppyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit populations near big cities.

Hi. I am looking to start a business in a town or resort with a large British population but live in a nearby large city and commute....I guess up to an hour is ok but the less the better. Anyone any suggestions?
Also, anyone know any website where I can get info on where Brits live in Spain?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brit populations near big cities.

Alicante to live and then your business could be north or south of there.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
Alicante to live and then your business could be north or south of there.
Malaga to live and then your business could be east or west of there!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:39 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloppyc
Also, anyone know any website where I can get info on where Brits live in Spain?
Population statistics available here http://www.ine.es/welcoing.htm including breakdown by nationality for every town in Spain if you dig deep!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. Do you think I can find a town with a large Brit population near any of the big cities? e.g. Barcelona, Valencia?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. Do you think I can find a town with a large Brit population near any of the big cities? e.g. Barcelona, Valencia?
Doubt it re Barcelona, though can't be certain, don't know Valencia but there are several BE posters who should... but Malaga is on the league table of large cities, no smaller than 4th I think!
(there'll be a clamour telling me if I'm wrong)
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Doubt it re Barcelona, though can't be certain, don't know Valencia but there are several BE posters who should... but Malaga is on the league table of large cities, no smaller than 4th I think!
(there'll be a clamour telling me if I'm wrong)
there are quite a few large Brit populations in towns between Valencia & Alicante

where I live - Javea - is more or less halfway between them

Valencia can be done in an hour

it shouldn't be, but it can
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Hi. I am looking to start a business in a town or resort with a large British population but live in a nearby large city and commute.....
I wouldn't recommend anyone start a business catering to the local British population. It was never a good idea, and in the current economic climate, it is an even worse idea.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I wouldn't recommend anyone start a business catering to the local British population. It was never a good idea, and in the current economic climate, it is an even worse idea.
a very good point
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
a very good point
I didn't necessarily mean I was going to be catering a biz to Brits living there, I know what you mean. Maybe more to tourists, but mostly just to make it that little bit easier cos I'm not Spanish.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Valencia is Spain's third city and there are Brit enclaves not too far away.

ValenciaTim could put you straight on exactly where.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

I didn't necessarily mean I was going to be catering a biz to Brits living there, I know what you mean. Maybe more to tourists, but mostly just to make it that little bit easier cos I'm not Spanish.
Anyone who wants to come over and start a business for brits must be mad.

Tourists?? What Tourists??

I live in Benidorm and as I explained on another topic to a lady wanting to start up a business I told her the same.
We have to be realistic about things. Spain is in Recession. No one can run away from the uk because its Dire there. Its worse here but you dont get the media side of it like you do in the UK.

Benidorm has always been a busy money making resort all year around but there is no one in the streets now.Ive been here 11 years in the tourist trade and the ones with cash have though up every way possible to get a business up and running and relying on the tourist and none are working.
Bars are closing,staff is being sacked because owners cant afford wages. I know a guy who runs a british sandwich shop and he is on the verge of closing down just because of the recession and the big problem which is The Pound Rate.!!!!

The pound rate has killed the tourist trade and anyone who lives here will pretty much agree.
Theres not much cash to be made now.

Its dire here mate. there is no one around.!!!

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 23rd 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It sounds to me that the indiginous population is not as important as the holidaying population - what sort of business is it?

Davexf
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
It sounds to me that the indiginous population is not as important as the holidaying population - what sort of business is it?

Davexf
Fish an chips. ;-)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

bazak will become famous soon enoughbazak will become famous soon enough

Hi Spainboy.
When you say that theres no-one in the streets around Benidorm at the moment, what is your opinion of the area in general. I ask mainly because i personally love the place, but have never been there at this time of the year, so have you noticed a considerable drop in tourists, or Brits trying to get places to live there.
This recession that everyones in at the mo' must surely bottom out and then pick up, if only slowly. Holiday resorts, particularly Benidorm have gone through this before and not only survived, but actually come out the other side a better place.
Do you think it's worse there this time ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.