Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing Plants to Spain

Bringing Plants to Spain

Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

nEWFY is on a distinguished road
Red face Bringing Plants to Spain

Are there any restrictions on bringing plants and seeds to Spain? Do bamboo plants grow easily in the Valencia/Alicante area?
Jenny and Phill
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Bringing Plants to Spain

Originally Posted by nEWFY
Are there any restrictions on bringing plants and seeds to Spain? Do bamboo plants grow easily in the Valencia/Alicante area?
Jenny and Phill
Hi Newfy
Ive been trying to find the answer to this question too. I have, found a site for gardeners which has a European plant exchange section so it would appear to be OK to do this but it would be nice to get some official confirmation.

Don't want to break any laws or indeed jeopardise either country's plant life.

If it is OK, I plan to take bare rooted plants out, having first carefully sprayed for insect or fungal problems so as not to carry anything nasty.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:02 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all
Default Re: Bringing Plants to Spain

Originally Posted by nEWFY
Jenny and Phill
I am also trying to find an answer to this question, will be emailing the British consulate to request a definitive answer.
Bamboo will normally grow just about anywhere, caution though as some variants can grow over 15' tall.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Please see this from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/re...ealth/PHE1.pdf

It infers that Spain will have restrictions but there is a leaflet you can order
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Please see this from DEFRA

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/re...ealth/PHE1.pdf

It infers that Spain will have restrictions but there is a leaflet you can order
Thanks Mitzyboy, you led me to the right department and I have been advised that we can take plants to Spain (in soil if we want). The only things we are not allowed to take are Rhodedendron, Azalea, Viburnum and Camellia as they carry a disease called 'Sudden Oak Death' which is not wlecome. Please folks, don't even think about trying if you have any respect for Spain....
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:55 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by susique
Thanks Mitzyboy, you led me to the right department and I have been advised that we can take plants to Spain (in soil if we want). The only things we are not allowed to take are Rhodedendron, Azalea, Viburnum and Camellia as they carry a disease called 'Sudden Oak Death' which is not wlecome. Please folks, don't even think about trying if you have any respect for Spain....
Thanks for the advice and the warning Susique. I am sure I've seen Camellias growing in gardens in Seville though. Maybe they have a different strain.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks for the advice and the warning Susique. I am sure I've seen Camellias growing in gardens in Seville though. Maybe they have a different strain.
Yes, Ive seen them in a garden centre in Conil but they will be disease free cos presumably they don't have dreaded oak death or whatever it was in Spain. And they don't want it brought in.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:50 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

My contact has also confirmed that any plants are transferable from the UK to Spain excluding the 4 your post above mentioned. So I can take my rose
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by susique
So ... I'm packing the marijuana/cannabis and opium poppies now
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Unexpat

Ah Unexpat, not sure where you are residing, but you'll need to pack the plants in your VW, grab your bongos and scarf wearing pooch, and toddle along to Canos de Meca or Cape Trafalgar.....you will get a fine welcome!

I'll stick to the red juice. Er, Forum master, could we please have a smiley supping a glass of wine, I don't drink cerveza.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Its here already
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:23 pm
Rizlared

Originally Posted by jdr
Its here already
Whilst looking around some properties in Mijas, We saw what we were sure was cannibis growing like a weed in the backyard of one place. House was very run down and required full reform, guess the owner was too laid back to care.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=susique]Thanks Mitzyboy, you led me to the right department /QUOTE]

Always pleased to help