Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing a 1 Year old baby to spain.

Bringing a 1 Year old baby to spain.

Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:38 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing a 1 Year old baby to spain.

Hi there, you may remember my previous threads about the problems with my g/f . Well we've definately had it all out now and in a rather unprecidented move she's suddenly turned round and said that if its a better life out there in spain then she'd love to do it. I asked her just about every question in the sun, what do you expect to get out of it? etc. And ran every scenario of it not working and her wanting to go home and me not etc. But truth of the matter is Im set on going and im not happy in England so she thinks she should give it a try.

My plans are therefore to go alone to start with, get a place find a job, upgrade to a better place. Got the money to get me started and once im established, got some friends, got a suitable place, then her and the baby would fly over.

But I need to know exactly what its like for a 1 year old to come to spain. How are the schools? What about toddler groups, nurseries etc? He's young enough to learn both languages simultaneously which is great. And he's certinately young enough to fit right in from an early age. But i need to know what the facilities are for them. What about health care?
If anyones had any experience bringing a baby to spain to live please tell me what its like. I know its not going to be easy but it might be worth it over all. I was speaking to a woman ont he plane on the way home last time who lived out there and she said it'd be great for them.
What do you do about english benefits such as child benefit, child tax credit, child trust fund? (well initially we wouldnt tell them in case it doesnt work).

So please any advice and experiences on that one would be great.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a 1 Year old baby to spain.

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Hi there, you may remember my previous threads about the problems with my g/f . Well we've definately had it all out now and in a rather unprecidented move she's suddenly turned round and said that if its a better life out there in spain then she'd love to do it. I asked her just about every question in the sun, what do you expect to get out of it? etc. And ran every scenario of it not working and her wanting to go home and me not etc. But truth of the matter is Im set on going and im not happy in England so she thinks she should give it a try.

My plans are therefore to go alone to start with, get a place find a job, upgrade to a better place. Got the money to get me started and once im established, got some friends, got a suitable place, then her and the baby would fly over.

But I need to know exactly what its like for a 1 year old to come to spain. How are the schools? What about toddler groups, nurseries etc? He's young enough to learn both languages simultaneously which is great. And he's certinately young enough to fit right in from an early age. But i need to know what the facilities are for them. What about health care?
If anyones had any experience bringing a baby to spain to live please tell me what its like. I know its not going to be easy but it might be worth it over all. I was speaking to a woman ont he plane on the way home last time who lived out there and she said it'd be great for them.
What do you do about english benefits such as child benefit, child tax credit, child trust fund? (well initially we wouldnt tell them in case it doesnt work).

Thanks.
(In my experience) state schools here are fine

nursery is very cheap, think my friend paid about 50€ per month at the local guardaria

your toddler will have no problem as you say with the language

if you are working legally and paying your taxes your child will be entitled to free health care (as long as it is your child - I dont mean that disrespectfully ) but your girlfriend wont as you are not married

Im sure someone has said before that you can have your child benefit cancelled in UK and paid from the Spanish auauthoritiesut I dont know if that is true and knowing Spain there will probably be 10000 forms to fill in so might be too much hassle, if I were you I would leave it as it is, just get it paid into UK bank account
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I know bugger all about the second problem but good luck with the first one!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:32 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I know bugger all about the second problem but good luck with the first one!!!!

"I know nothing" (Manuel - Fawlty Towers" ) But I know a lady who will know....Maryann

This is quite a surprise turnaround - hope you know what you are doing - but I am glad you have talked it through and hopefully sorted things out between you. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

onlineamiga,
cant offer you any advice, but i am glad for you that you have sorted things out with the girlfriend and wish you both luck in your new life in Spain.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:08 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Bringing a 1 Year old baby to spain.

Thanks.

Well this is a turn up for the book I am not a expert on the baby matters, apart from making them which i did get the hang of pretty well But loads of mummies will no doubt fill you in on that info !

My worry is for you as you seem a genuine nice guy , a little naive and some would say to trusting maybe , after having many more years than you in the expertise of women , how they think work and how to make them melt and well we wont go into the fine details

And i would be very concerned if i was you !! as you are to get over to Spain by yourself leaving her in the flat by herself ? After you already know she isnt exactly mis loyal . Is this some ploy to humour you to get you out the way ? Maybe she is 2 steps ahead of you ? I personaly think you should already of elbowed her for what you know ! I wouldnt trust what she says , Can you honestly say that while your in Spain struggling to try and get things together ! That you will be 100% sure she is doing her bit workwise and 100% loyal ? I reckon you will be a nervous wreck worried sick what shes up to while your away in your Flat ? Or online even ?

So do the move , but trust me if you have had greif now you are` assured mega heartache in the future !! So elbow her get your head straight find that nice little cute Spanish Senorita and live life with total 100% love and devotion ..

If you dont ditch her and you do go ahead and set up a new life for you both , ensure that as a minimum you take the Web Cam with you

ps;
If you cant do that ? please do me a big favour and can you let me have her online Nickname and what the best time to catch her on MSN is ?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:43 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

LOL big pete.
The situation is this. Because i caught her doing dodgy things on MSN i started planning Life 2. Im an IT person by trade, so i guess i naturally plan for contingency. And life 2 is to come out to spain and start a new life there. The problem is I started liking the sound of Life 2 a hell of a lot. And now im in the situation where even if I totally forgave the other half for what she's done, I would still be unhappy because id always be wondering what Life 2 would have been like. And, it is hard to leave her, i love her and i love her kid as my own.

So what a turn up for the books when she said she'd come out to spain with me! Yes I will be going ahead first to try and get it to work before she comes along with the kid. So that gives us three months or so apart. After that three months if it all works out and its time for her to come, we will see if she still wants to. And if she does then to me that prooves her commitment to me. Initially this is a chance for me to go to spain and try and make it work without actually leaving her which despite what she has done would leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth and make me feel sick to the stomach.

If it doesnt work out in spain then I can come home knowing that at least I tried. But if i dont do this i'll never know.

So really really excited to go now. Im just sorting out getting some money out of a savings account which will take about a month, gotta inform my employer i quit. find a place to live, get car serviced, book a ferry and off I go for a little drive
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

LOL big pete.
The situation is this. Because i caught her doing dodgy things on MSN i started planning Life 2. Im an IT person by trade, so i guess i naturally plan for contingency. And life 2 is to come out to spain and start a new life there. The problem is I started liking the sound of Life 2 a hell of a lot. And now im in the situation where even if I totally forgave the other half for what she's done, I would still be unhappy because id always be wondering what Life 2 would have been like. And, it is hard to leave her, i love her and i love her kid as my own.

So what a turn up for the books when she said she'd come out to spain with me! Yes I will be going ahead first to try and get it to work before she comes along with the kid. So that gives us three months or so apart. After that three months if it all works out and its time for her to come, we will see if she still wants to. And if she does then to me that prooves her commitment to me. Initially this is a chance for me to go to spain and try and make it work without actually leaving her which despite what she has done would leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth and make me feel sick to the stomach.

If it doesnt work out in spain then I can come home knowing that at least I tried. But if i dont do this i'll never know.

So really really excited to go now. Im just sorting out getting some money out of a savings account which will take about a month, gotta inform my employer i quit. find a place to live, get car serviced, book a ferry and off I go for a little drive

Mate you sound like you really want this, and good on ya for trying, you dont need me to tell you that you will need some degree of determination just to get on out there.
Good luck with the GF situation, I originally went out there with mine and we were on really rocky ground, Spain was the worse thing we could have done, and it was over in absolutely no time!
That said I then found someone else and we had the most amazing few years together, she was Spanish (well kind of!) and helped me slide right into life out there.
There are a lot of temptations in Spain for younger (and older) people, and not that I know you at all but keep your wits about you, if things are already shaky Spain can be a temptress!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
We are in a similar situation regarding a young child, our grandaughter came over when she was 3 months old, she is 10 months now, our daughter and son in law went back to the UK for her birth, should have stayed here, as seems to be endless form filling to get her registerd with doctor etc., our son in law has a "legal" job with contract, social paid etc., but still needs loads of paper work in duplicate, triplicate etc., etc.,. Regarding child benefit, this is still being received as they pay it straight into your account in UK, would not do anything about that at the moment, do not want to cut your bridges so to speak. There is a lot to think about, regarding little things, like food, milk, nappies etc., etc., If you are coming to the Costa del Sol, then lots of places you can get UK products at first, but best to use the Spanish, cheaper and if living in Spain then why buy expensive UK products. Would advise to bring out a couple of weeks supplies at first till you check out the Spanish equivelent.

There are a lot of "Mums" on this site, such as Maryanne, so guess they may be able to help you more,
Good Luck
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:35 am
In Estepona

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Mate you sound like you really want this, and good on ya for trying, you dont need me to tell you that you will need some degree of determination just to get on out there.
Good luck with the GF situation, I originally went out there with mine and we were on really rocky ground, Spain was the worse thing we could have done, and it was over in absolutely no time!
That said I then found someone else and we had the most amazing few years together, she was Spanish (well kind of!) and helped me slide right into life out there.
There are a lot of temptations in Spain for younger (and older) people, and not that I know you at all but keep your wits about you, if things are already shaky Spain can be a temptress!

Well sadly we're on shaky ground in the UK. Im not happy with this monotomous life here and feel that theres no escape from it for the rest of my life. I just crave a huge change, it feels like i gotta drive 100+ miles to find anythign remotely exciting or somewhere i havnt been to a thousand times before. And even then its just the same, you goto one town in the UK and youve just about been to em all. If i stayed at home with her ill always regret not at least trying. I dont care if i go out there and it doesnt work out and i end up coming back to the UK. At least i know ive tried and itl be a great experience doing so. Ive missed out on life when i was 18/19 due to an ex g/f and i regret not doing a lot of things. And i dont want to regret it again. the way i see it, if i didnt come out to spain then me and the g/f would proabbly break up. Afterall she already done the dirty on me once infront of the webcam, she could do it again. if she followes me out to spain in 3 months then that would prove to me that she is truely sorry for that and she is commited to me. She would be leaving a lot more behind than I am.

Thanks jdr, i would definately go for the spanish brand baby products rather than paying more for the english stuff. If its good enough for a spanish baby then its good enough for ours. I cant stand people who go to spain to then only eat in english restaurants, drink in english bars and buy british products.. might as well have stayed at home and got a sun bed.

My g/f is very happy to come over if shes convinced that bringing her baby up would give him a better life in spain than it would in the UK.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:10 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
ps;
If you cant do that ? please do me a big favour and can you let me have her online Nickname and what the best time to catch her on MSN is ?
Big Pete,

Does your missus read your posts?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:32 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Big Pete,

Does your missus read your posts?
Sometimes she does yep

Shes ok with it she knows i am joking
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Thanks.
If you have a 1 year old you will certainly get a lot of attention they love children in Spain when we went on hols last year they were all over our two girls. We will be living inland and facilities are great playgrounds everywhere, nappies and stuff are just the same as UK. The only thing I noticed though was the jar baby foods were very runny for 12 month year olds (not very pleasant doing nappies) although we did find some junior jar foods which were more solid and suitable. Dunno about schools and nurseries yet, but our two will be going straight into Spanish school.

Good luck

Helen
Old Mar 11th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenp
If you have a 1 year old you will certainly get a lot of attention they love children in Spain when we went on hols last year they were all over our two girls. We will be living inland and facilities are great playgrounds everywhere, nappies and stuff are just the same as UK. The only thing I noticed though was the jar baby foods were very runny for 12 month year olds (not very pleasant doing nappies) although we did find some junior jar foods which were more solid and suitable. Dunno about schools and nurseries yet, but our two will be going straight into Spanish school.

Good luck

Helen
Hi Helen, regarding the baby food, we have found that, the Spanish ones are very runny, and regarding the attention, even young Spanish guys come and talk to our Grandaughter, it is lovely.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It's true, i came here with a 10 month old baby, and I have never looked back. I am in the middle of cooking right now so I cant go into it all but i will try and log on later. In my opinion best place for children, if you can learn to put include your child in everything, and i mean everyhting!
We still get child benifit in the UK. There are not any toddler groups or playgroups unless its an expat thing started by expats for expats. I have started one on a wednesday afternoon. Over here you call them 'playdates'
kindergarten in available for 16weeks old to 4 years and then they go to a state school. I have a 5 year old in a state school and I think it is excerlent. My baby is in kindergarden for 9 til 2 everyday. I get all my jobs done and then spend all afternoon and evening with my children.
They say over here the children get all the attention but are not the centre of attention, uk children are the centre of attention but get no attention.
The baby food is runny and the spanish have a laid back approach to development, they dont expext finger feeding till they are 2, they dont expect speech till 2 1/2.
There are not many tous over here, but then toys are only bought at christmas.
My children adore being here.
Its not easy to start with, its not easy at all, but the pay off is well worth it.

hope this helps, must go and put the chops on the barbie!

love

maryann x x xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.