Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

bricklayer looking for work

bricklayer looking for work

Old May 26th 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

geordielad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bricklayer looking for work

hi there. im looking to move over to the costa's pretty soon once ive my accomodation sorted in torremolinos. im viewing a place the end of next week and im hoping to sort some work out. im a bricklayer by trade but can pretty much do anything. does anyone have any idea's or suggestions?? ive been told i'd be better off as a waiter with the tips and wages compared to site work. but anyone that has tasted my brews would disagree!! any help is appreciated folks.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bricklayer looking for work

Originally Posted by geordielad
hi there. im looking to move over to the costa's pretty soon once ive my accomodation sorted in torremolinos. im viewing a place the end of next week and im hoping to sort some work out. im a bricklayer by trade but can pretty much do anything. does anyone have any idea's or suggestions?? ive been told i'd be better off as a waiter with the tips and wages compared to site work. but anyone that has tasted my brews would disagree!! any help is appreciated folks.
think long and hard about whether it makes sense financially before you come especially if you have a family to support

rent first and have enough money to see you through at least 6-12 months

good luck with the move
Old May 26th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, if you really want my opinion, then retrain and pretty darn quick. Builders?...ten thousand a penny!! The eastern europeans have that sewn up, and with the ability to work for as little as 3 or 4 euros an hour, being as many of them live a dozen to a 2 bed house so minimal outlay for them towards the cost of living, they can afford to work for so little.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish builders are being laid off so the market for newbies is low I would have thought. Sorry not to be more positive for you but it is very difficult for people to find work here.

Rosemary
Old May 26th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Hi. What I gather from the things I've read on here and seen around me in Spain, is that there's not enough work for people in trades like yours and that when there is the wages are terrible. (The word saturated comes to mind.) I have heard that spanish builders are taking work in other countries to make ends meet. In fact a British friend here, who moved out a few years ago and built his family a home, now has to commute back to London for building work and see's his family twice a month if he is lucky. They would prefer to go back as a family, but have been unable to sell the family home that they built in Spain.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugsy
In fact a British friend here, who moved out a few years ago and built his family a home, now has to commute back to London for building work and see's his family twice a month if he is lucky.
this is quite common, not ideal and not part of the dream of living in Spain Im sure but if there is no work here........
Old May 26th 2008, 10:16 am
Just Joined

cheers folks. i thought as much as ive kept up to date as much as i can with things when ive been away. things are pretty tight back in the uk up north and down to midlands. i had to lay old jeeves the butler off last week. poor jeeves has been with the family years!!! ha ha. seriously the eastern lads have the olympic village sewn up. so its either go get myself a basin hair cut, some purple jeans and talk in a foreign accent or go out and buy myself a tea towel and improve my brew making skills then eh???
Old May 26th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

lol, I love a sense of humour keep hold of it geordie you'll need it here in Espania at times . Good luck with the move!
Old May 26th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

no worries. keep the advice coming i appreciate it all. im off to whitley bay in the sun to keep my morale high today and i'll catch up with you all later. thanks again everyone every bit of help and advice is appreciated.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you look into switching from brick/blockwork to hard landscaping, there seems to be a bit of work in Spain along those lines and its not too much of a stretch to switch from one to the other.

there are few brickies who cant lay a decent patio floor or flagstone path.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

no worries. keep the advice coming i appreciate it all. im off to whitley bay in the sun to keep my morale high today and i'll catch up with you all later. thanks again everyone every bit of help and advice is appreciated.
You could always get some practice in by rebuilding Spanish City
Old May 27th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Why don't you look into switching from brick/blockwork to hard landscaping, there seems to be a bit of work in Spain along those lines and its not too much of a stretch to switch from one to the other.

there are few brickies who cant lay a decent patio floor or flagstone path.
Thanks for the advice. I thought just about all trowel's could hard landscape, obviuosly not! Its certainly something i do alot of here back in the UK so I'll look into it next week when Im over. Again thanks alot for the advice. Appreciate it.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
You could always get some practice in by rebuilding Spanish City
Jesus Spanish City!!!!!! Im good but not that good lol
Old May 27th 2008, 8:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I thought just about all trowel's could hard landscape, obviuosly not! Its certainly something i do alot of here back in the UK so I'll look into it next week when Im over. Again thanks alot for the advice. Appreciate it.
I am a soft landscaper looking to moving over in August time, if I have any contacts or bits that may help I will send them to you, don't leave the forum just yet or anything OK.
Old May 27th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I am a soft landscaper looking to moving over in August time, if I have any contacts or bits that may help I will send them to you, don't leave the forum just yet or anything OK.
Good man im grateful for that mate. Im more than happy to work/travel all up and down the costa's so any foot in the door so to say would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.