British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Border Control (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/border-control-937659/)

bobd22 Mar 20th 2021 3:18 pm

Re: Border Control

Thanks Fred, I was on the right track then.

SanNico Apr 5th 2021 2:29 pm

I flew back to Spain on Friday. We used the non EU queue, my UK passport was not stamped but the other half had her Mexican passport stamped. I was asked for the PCR result, she wasn’t

Stingychips Apr 6th 2021 10:27 am

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 12991446)
I flew back to Spain on Friday. We used the non EU queue, my UK passport was not stamped but the other half had her Mexican passport stamped. I was asked for the PCR result, she wasn’t

Which airport was that ?. So they are not treating British passport holders the same as third country nationals.

n77af Apr 6th 2021 10:39 am

I flew to Madrid on the 23rd with nothing more than a quick glance at my passport, this looked to be the case for everyone else on the flight from London. Yet, leaving from Malaga the week prior, it seemed everyone's passport was getting stamped out (mine was not as I am a Spanish resident). Perhaps the rules are being interpreted region-by-region? This wouldn't be the first time I've observed something similar in Spain!

bobd22 Apr 6th 2021 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12991779)
Which airport was that ?. So they are not treating British passport holders the same as third country nationals.

Not all British passport holders will be treated the same. If they are Spanish resident no passport stamp if not passport is stamped. So it all depends on the status of the person. Covid test requirements etc vary for different countries also but whether that is country flown from or country of citizenship I don't know.
​​

EsuriJohn Apr 6th 2021 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12991779)

Give them time!

Stingychips Apr 6th 2021 10:57 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12991786)
Not all British passport holders will be treated the same. If they are Spanish resident no passport stamp if not passport is stamped. So it all depends on the status of the person. Covid test requirements etc vary for different countries also but whether that is country flown from or country of citizenship I don't know.
​​

a few months ago they were stamping uk passports regardless of TIE cards. Now they have seemed to have changed tactics. It’s interesting how they didn’t stamp his UK passport but went on to stamp the Mexican passport.

Stingychips Apr 6th 2021 11:00 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12991786)
​​

Both people clearly say that UK passports were not being stamped.

bobd22 Apr 6th 2021 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12991801)
Both people clearly say that UK passports were not being stamped.

Yes but one states they are a Spanish resident and the other states they came through non EU gate but doesn't say if they are resident. You are missing the point I am making that as far as I understand, if Spanish resident then passport checked but not stamped to enter your country of residence i.e. Spain non Spanish then passport is stamped due to Schengen rules? So there are different rules even though we all hold British passports.

dougal03 Apr 6th 2021 3:13 pm

I returned to UK in late January.My British passport was stamped by Border Force on entry to UK.So British Nationals passports ARE stamped when arriving in our own country as well as arrival in Spain.

bobd22 Apr 6th 2021 3:45 pm

Yes I have read before of it happening but if resident it shouldn't. Why they stamp a UK citizens passport to enter the UK is beyond me but nothing surprises me. Some people think because we have Spanish residency we are somehow not British anymore. Beyond belief but as they say they walk amongst us.
https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-b...-divorce-deal/

Stingychips Apr 6th 2021 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12991919)
I returned to UK in late January.My British passport was stamped by Border Force on entry to UK.So British Nationals passports ARE stamped when arriving in our own country as well as arrival in Spain.

yep they were definitely stamping earlier on in the year regardless but people gave said end of last month and this month that Spanish border control have looked at the British passports and NOT put an entry stamp in them.

DLC Apr 6th 2021 8:54 pm

Spanish border control shouldn't stamp the passport if they are residents (have a TIE or a green certificate/card).

When you get a TIE I guess your passport number is stored on the system and I guess when they swipe the passport the computer will tell them you're a resident so they know not to stamp.

bobd22 Apr 6th 2021 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by DLC (Post 12992041)
Spanish border control shouldn't stamp the passport if they are residents (have a TIE or a green certificate/card).

When you get a TIE I guess your passport number is stored on the system and I guess when they swipe the passport the computer will tell them you're a resident so they know not to stamp.

The problem with that is in the future at some point the passport number will change. Surely better to simply show TIE or green card along with the passport.

DLC Apr 6th 2021 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12992046)
The problem with that is in the future at some point the passport number will change. Surely better to simply show TIE or green card along with the passport.

There's an option on form EX20 & friends to update the passport number. I think it might even have been there on form EX18 for EU citizens but we might have to start taking it seriously now.