blown walls

Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default blown walls

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what product is best to use on walls where the capa fina finish walls have blown due to damp I assume. Do I fill with yeso then capa fina on top...sorry my DIY skills are terrible but I refuse to pay someone to sort it for me. I shall learn!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:22 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: blown walls

Originally Posted by celestine
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what product is best to use on walls where the capa fina finish walls have blown due to damp I assume. Do I fill with yeso then capa fina on top...sorry my DIY skills are terrible but I refuse to pay someone to sort it for me. I shall learn!
Yep. That would work for a while.

But, I would paint the walls with a damp-proofing compound first (cola from local suppliers) and then yeso or even mortar (material).

Do make sure though that you do chip back far enough to remove any other damp areas.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yep. That would work for a while.

But, I would paint the walls with a damp-proofing compound first (cola from local suppliers) and then yeso or even mortar (material).

Do make sure though that you do chip back far enough to remove any other damp areas.
I'm sure we've had this argument before. Spanish houses should breathe. especially if you're in the dryer south western quarter of the country, don't be obsessed with an anual cycle of slight damp for a month or so. Even the Spanish are forgetting that with their plastic paints. I wouldn't use damp proofer on the inside of a house at all! That causes blown plaster (in my opinion). Always use like-with-like. If your house is built out of cement (or bricks and hard mortar), Use cement to fill big holes. If it's made of a soft material... Adobe, Stones or brick held together with soft lime mortars etc use a lime (cal) based material or Yeso
Remove any major cause of the damp e.g. repair roofs and flashings or add guttering if needed and pipe away any standing water. But then let the little damp that does appear dry off naturally every year. Don't hold it behind any covering as you'll just make a place for moulds to live
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I'm sure we've had this argument before. Spanish houses should breathe. especially if you're in the dryer south western quarter of the country, don't be obsessed with an anual cycle of slight damp for a month or so. Even the Spanish are forgetting that with their plastic paints. I wouldn't use damp proofer on the inside of a house at all! That causes blown plaster (in my opinion). Always use like-with-like. If your house is built out of cement (or bricks and hard mortar), Use cement to fill big holes. If it's made of a soft material... Adobe, Stones or brick held together with soft lime mortars etc use a lime (cal) based material or Yeso
Remove any major cause of the damp e.g. repair roofs and flashings or add guttering if needed and pipe away any standing water. But then let the little damp that does appear dry off naturally every year. Don't hold it behind any covering as you'll just make a place for moulds to live
I had this problem in my house, ( about 300 years old, walls of stone and mud, with no chance of damp course, all plastered during the reform, and then after about two years walls started blowing up to about a meter , maybe a bit more, By this time I had got to talking to Spanish locals and one of the local builders offered to come and sort it out at a good price, he came up stripped all back to the stone,and then coated the inside with a kind of waterproofed cement mix which when it had dried he then rendered and then finished with Yeso or whatever,, the outside he simply rendered and then suggested a stone finish to about one meter and then Mono cap above that, , havent had a problem since, 4 years in and still ok. suspect all the damp and drying is done through the exterior stone and render bit
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
I had this problem in my house, ( about 300 years old, walls of stone and mud, with no chance of damp course, all plastered during the reform, and then after about two years walls started blowing up to about a meter , maybe a bit more, By this time I had got to talking to Spanish locals and one of the local builders offered to come and sort it out at a good price, he came up stripped all back to the stone,and then coated the inside with a kind of waterproofed cement mix which when it had dried he then rendered and then finished with Yeso or whatever,, the outside he simply rendered and then suggested a stone finish to about one meter and then Mono cap above that, , havent had a problem since, 4 years in and still ok. suspect all the damp and drying is done through the exterior stone and render bit
Proper job.