Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

it was a bit windy yesterday.............

it was a bit windy yesterday.............

Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default it was a bit windy yesterday.............

but I had no idea it was this windy!

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia...-20090918.html

a tornado briefly hit the coast & destroyed the terrace of one restaurant in 3 seconds!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future
Default Re: it was a bit windy yesterday.............

I've seen quite a few out to sea off the coast of Xàbia, especially in the winter months when they seem to be quite common, but this is the first time I've seen one strike land! Awesome! And it seems Sod's law that it strikes one of the busier restaurants along the Arenal; shame it couldn't have been a few metres to the left and got rid of that awful Sacrament!

A mate phoned me last night and warned me that he'd been told that the Guardia Civil was telling everyone to go home and batten down the hatches as the worst Gota Fria in living memory was about to hit the area; he'd been ringing everyone he knew. I looked outside and the wind had dropped and the sky was clearing. I asked him where he got the information from and he (rather sheepishly) admitted that some bloke down the pub had told him! Don't you just love that! Needless to say, this morning broke lovely and warm and no sign of "killer floods"!

John C
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:39 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

PÁGINA NO ENCONTRADA
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xabiero
I've seen quite a few out to sea off the coast of Xàbia, especially in the winter months when they seem to be quite common, but this is the first time I've seen one strike land! Awesome! And it seems Sod's law that it strikes one of the busier restaurants along the Arenal; shame it couldn't have been a few metres to the left and got rid of that awful Sacrament!

A mate phoned me last night and warned me that he'd been told that the Guardia Civil was telling everyone to go home and batten down the hatches as the worst Gota Fria in living memory was about to hit the area; he'd been ringing everyone he knew. I looked outside and the wind had dropped and the sky was clearing. I asked him where he got the information from and he (rather sheepishly) admitted that some bloke down the pub had told him! Don't you just love that! Needless to say, this morning broke lovely and warm and no sign of "killer floods"!

John C
it's probably the only place that had any customers at 3pm yesterday!

and in fairness to your mate - they are in fact predicting a really bad gota fria year

just not this week in Javea
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
and in fairness to your mate - they are in fact predicting a really bad gota fria year

just not this week in Javea
Where though? The severe gota fria storms tend to strike a small area rather than a whole coast or region. For instance, when Javea got hit a couple of years ago, places a few klicks up and down the coast were largely unscathed. These storms tend to be quite local, hence their perceived severity.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Where though? The severe gota fria storms tend to strike a small area rather than a whole coast or region. For instance, when Javea got hit a couple of years ago, places a few klicks up and down the coast were largely unscathed. These storms tend to be quite local, hence their perceived severity.
true - & I don't really remember getting much warning in 2005 either

I think the general word on the tele is that it this will be a bad year for them
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but I had no idea it was this windy!

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia...-20090918.html

a tornado briefly hit the coast & destroyed the terrace of one restaurant in 3 seconds!
I couldn't open the link. What happened and which restaurant was hit?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by raddickle
I couldn't open the link. What happened and which restaurant was hit?
odd - neither can I now

Austriaco on the Arenal - a tornado actually 'landed' - straight into their terrace & out again

I'll look for some links - it was all over the national news yesterday
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
PÁGINA NO ENCONTRADA
sorry didn't see this

maybe I hit the ignore button again

youtube have it now

we get lots of watrespouts, as Xabiero says, but they rarely actually 'land'

Last edited by lynnxa; Sep 19th 2009 at 7:23 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we got it full on for 3 days.

Scary to say the least when youre new to the area but scary also if your not.

Character building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:58 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

looking at the clip , tossed salad was the chief special for the day
2nd flood in 4 week at offices ... god boss going trought the roof , insurance loading gone throught roof here .....
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

The storms are still continuing here- almost every day and they start at the same time in the afternoon.

We know of many people with leaks and floods which have taken them by surprise and they have lived here for years.

Even spanish people are saying its the worst theyve known.

This morning is freezing with grey sky and rain.

Is it like this in other areas.

Is this winter now-it seems too early.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:38 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
The storms are still continuing here- almost every day and they start at the same time in the afternoon.

We know of many people with leaks and floods which have taken them by surprise and they have lived here for years.

Here, on the Costa de la Luz, it´s lovely. 27 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze. We´ve only had the very occasional shower, not much at all so I´m not complaining.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I've heard that we need to batten down the hatches tomorrow - they are expecting more rain then than 'ever before'
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

It is unusual, as although the mornings and evenings are cooler in September we quite often have beautiful sunny days up until the end of October.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.