Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bioethanol Fires

Bioethanol Fires

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bioethanol Fires

I am attracted to the idea if getting a bioethanol fire for our house in Spain. I haven't looked for a supplier in Spain yet but assume they are sold and fuel is available.
My real question is are they any good, not just decoratively but do they heat up the rooms as well as the jargon suggests?
Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bioethanol Fires

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I am attracted to the idea if getting a bioethanol fire for our house in Spain. I haven't looked for a supplier in Spain yet but assume they are sold and fuel is available.
My real question is are they any good, not just decoratively but do they heat up the rooms as well as the jargon suggests?
Thanks
Hiya johnnyone here is a copy of a report posted on the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service website. Thought you might find it helpfull.

Fire safety and bioethanol-fuelled fireplace installations
INCIDENT: 18/1/14 – Fire involving bioethanol flame effect fire. Lady suffered flash burns to face and hair. Fire damage to floor, rug and chair.

Bioethanol flame effect fires have become a popular feature in the home, offering the visual attraction of the flames of a ‘real’ fire but not requiring the installation of a flue or chimney.

There are two broad types, those fuelled by bioethanol gel and fires that take liquid bioethanol fuel. Both put out a moderate amount of heat, but primarily are purchased for the effect of a ‘real’ flame fire.

In gel fires a pre-packed metal can of the fuel is inserted into the fire grate and when lit, the can itself is the burner. The flames cannot be regulated and depending on the specific design of the fire, the gel fuel is sometimes not readily extinguished once lit.

In the case of bioethanol liquid fuelled fires, the flame effect is often better than that of a gel fire and a mechanism for regulating the size of the flame and extinguishing it is often, but not always, incorporated.

Whether liquid or gel, the bioethanol fuel is highly flammable and there have been numerous incidents across the UK over the past 12months when people have been burned as a result of accidents when using these appliances. Most often it has been when re-fuelling, as in the case of an incident in Oswaldtwistle recently when the fire was not extinguished when the householder topped up the burner with liquid fuel, suffering burns when the fuel vapour ignited and flashed back.

Although manufacturers and suppliers often provide adequate safety advice, there are currently no European standards for technical requirements, testing methods, descriptions of instructions and warnings attached to the products and it is possible that some appliances for sale may fall short in any or all of those criteria.

In order to avoid injury our advice to the public is:-

•Beware of cheap sub-standard products
•Follow manufacturer’s safety advice
•Remember that bioethanol fuel is highly flammable
•Flame can be almost invisible especially when the fuel level becomes low
•Refuel only when the fire has been extinguished and cold
•Use approved small containers to refuel
•Wipe up any spillages before igniting the bioethanol. Keep fuel away from clothes. Don’t refuel when under the influence of alcohol – spillages of fuel could more easily happen and go unnoticed
•Light with a manual or electric taper. Do not use a lighter/match/rolled up paper
•Keep children and pets away from the fire
•Do not move the appliance with the fuel lit
•Store bioethanol in appropriate containers away from any naked flame and carefully consider where to keep fuel stocks safely
•Do not use in a room with poor ventilation
•Installing a CO detector in room is recommended
•Make sure the fire is out before leaving the room or going to sleep
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:47 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

they can be really dangerous as the fuel is a gel, and like napalm is a bit of a sod to put out.

something to remember is that if you have a wood burner you can consistently get 12kw out of it but these gel pack burners only give off a max of 3kw, which in terms of an old bar heater isn't much.
they are disposable once burnt out, but take care in ensuring you obey instructions on them.

they come into their own in providing a focal point in houses/flats with central heating as they do look good in architecturally designed fire places and also are used alot in the US for outdoor parties, patio's, swimming pools etc.

but think about safety.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
:

but think about safety.
Safety was my main concern and I appreciate both replies. I have a largish long open living area with a wood burner at one end and only need some secondary heating so 3kw is enough @ 100% efficiency at the other end.
At the moment I am using an electric not to real looking flame effect heater.
It would also have the benefit of reducing my electrical loading and the chances of tripping out the ICP.
I think the first step is to visit a showroom in the uk before deciding.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Safety was my main concern and I appreciate both replies. I have a largish long open living area with a wood burner at one end and only need some secondary heating so 3kw is enough @ 100% efficiency at the other end.
At the moment I am using an electric not to real looking flame effect heater.
It would also have the benefit of reducing my electrical loading and the chances of tripping out the ICP.
I think the first step is to visit a showroom in the uk before deciding.
as I think I said, you can do alot of investigation on the internet.
I took alot of interest on products found on Houzz.com but switched off after finding out they are only good for the 3kw as I need the 12-14kw from a wood burner.

good luck
rgds