Bilbao

Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bilbao

OK, I'm going to a music festival there in the summer and am trying to book a hotel. I found a nice farmhouse just out of the centre, but it means driving.

I'm confused. I'm looking at all the hotels in the centre area and some reviews say that they are in dodgy areas.

The concert is on the hills to the West of the central area, just over the autovia. Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable hotels in reasonable areas with parking?

Would appreciate any help. I suspect we wont be leaving the concerts until 2 in the morning, so I need somewhere near
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilbao

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, I'm going to a music festival there in the summer and am trying to book a hotel. I found a nice farmhouse just out of the centre, but it means driving.

I'm confused. I'm looking at all the hotels in the centre area and some reviews say that they are in dodgy areas.

The concert is on the hills to the West of the central area, just over the autovia. Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable hotels in reasonable areas with parking?

Would appreciate any help. I suspect we wont be leaving the concerts until 2 in the morning, so I need somewhere near
If I remember correctly, the underground goes out to the coast, so it may be worth looking for accommodation there. If you leave your concert late though, you may have to take a taxi. EDIT just seen your 2 am warning. Hmmm. Not sure what to advise, except book your accommodation as soon as you can. For some reason rooms get booked up very quickly in Bilbao

Take raincoats and/or an umbrella - even in July you can get soaked in Bilbao. A fascinating city though, and well worth exploring.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I spent hours now on various sites trying to find a decent hotel, and I'm going around in circles. I dont know Bilbao at all, and dont know the good areas and the rough ones. I find a decent hotel and then I find people commenting that it is in an intimidating or rough area
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a longshot, Mitzyboy. How about a campsite near Bilbao? Playa Joyel at Noja, near Castro-Urdiales. Lovely beach.
Carol
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Or,
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S12818.htm

Metro runs til 2am Fridays and all night, I think, Saturdays. Need to check on that.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:53 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Here's a longshot, Mitzyboy. How about a campsite near Bilbao? Playa Joyel at Noja, near Castro-Urdiales. Lovely beach.
Carol
Yipes My camping days ended when I crawled out of a tent one morning and placed my hand in the remnants of a spilled tin of tomato soup

Or,
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S12818.htm

Metro runs til 2am Fridays and all night, I think, Saturdays. Need to check on that.
Thanks. Ive been on Owners Direct and found the only apartment they have, but waiting for a reply from the owner as to where it is
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did the eurocamp holiday here many years ago, so can not comment on it's present state. However, it was idyllic - even in the rain! Surely no problems for you to arrive in the wee small hours of the morning.
We stayed in a mobile home but the tent pitches were good, too. This isn't camping in the wild! All amenities to hand: beach on your doorstep, onsite pool & restaurant, town a stroll away...The beach then was clean & quiet, the town of Noja small but with a market. Larger town of Castro-Urdiales a few mins away by car. Fiesta del Carmen on 16th July big event here. Bilbao was further East, not far, though. Police with guns, but I found Corte Ingles, so I was happy.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We did the eurocamp holiday here many years ago, so can not comment on it's present state. However, it was idyllic - even in the rain! Surely no problems for you to arrive in the wee small hours of the morning.
We stayed in a mobile home but the tent pitches were good, too. This isn't camping in the wild! All amenities to hand: beach on your doorstep, onsite pool & restaurant, town a stroll away...The beach then was clean & quiet, the town of Noja small but with a market. Larger town of Castro-Urdiales a few mins away by car. Fiesta del Carmen on 16th July big event here. Bilbao was further East, not far, though. Police with guns, but I found Corte Ingles, so I was happy.
all police in Spain have guns and a lot of security guards have them too.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guess I'm not use to them, but these were BIG guns, if you know what I mean , Harry.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:13 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Try Booking.com. Reviews are genuine as to give one the person as had to have booked through the website and stayed too. if you do not turn up no review!
http://www.booking.com
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:09 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Try Booking.com. Reviews are genuine as to give one the person as had to have booked through the website and stayed too. if you do not turn up no review!
http://www.booking.com
I have mate! They are either extremely expensive ... or the reviews are rubbish.

I have decided to go for the farmhouse we found. Its too far away really as I will have to drive (3 or 4 kms) but at least its a decent enough place at a reasonable price (even though they haven't replied to my email from this morning yet!)
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'm not use to them, but these were BIG guns, if you know what I mean , Harry.
Maybe they were anti-terrorist police. I lived in London around the tube bombings a few years ago. You must have the seen the guns they were walking around with in the years that followed!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

There is the Ibis Barakaldo just outside of town beside the autovia and a big commercial centre,.. should be secure with good parking and maybe not crazy prices.
Might be worth checking out if the location suits you.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.hotel.com always found them pretty comprehensive for a good range of hotels
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Maybe they were anti-terrorist police. I lived in London around the tube bombings a few years ago. You must have the seen the guns they were walking around with in the years that followed!
Sometimes the Guardia have them at the sailors hill at La Cala where they do the vehicle checks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.