Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Big Day in CastroM 5April

Big Day in CastroM 5April

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Day in CastroM 5April

Recently all over the neighbouring towns in PT there have been publicity about the opening of the Bird Sanctuary/visitors centre in CastroM.

Its the red building next to the river you see from the bridge to the left, as you cross the bridge towards PT.

Get off at VRSA junction, but go away from it initially. At the Monte Francisco turn off, turn RIGHT onto the dirt track.....

As a non-twitcher/birder, I didn't really register this until I stumbled onto the English version of the pamphlet. I havent got a scanner, but photographed it, attached.

Loads of stuff going on. Documentaries bar, resto, jeep rides, games, workshops archery concert etc etc. 09:00 - 23:30 PT

Including a website with loads of info as well of the region (below)

I took photos and tried to reproduce the pamphlet. A very well presented document - attached. You should see all the details, even though its photographed, just zoom in.

Have fun!

Jon

http://www.icnf.pt/portal/turnatur/r...term=rnscmvrsa

and

http://www.icnf.pt/portal/naturaclas/ap/r-nat/rnscmvrsa
Attached Files
File Type: doc
CastroM 050414.doc (5.71 MB, 154 views)

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 3rd 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Day in CastroM 5April

Visited there last year, it was a good centre, lots of good info. Shame the hide was closed at the weekends when we tried to go again in Jan. The centre was also closed.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this post, Jon. I had wondered about the red building which is visible as you drive across the international bridge. The maps are informative, too.

"Senderismo, Rutas de Flora y Fauna, Ornitología, etc..." are becoming more popular for all ages and levels of fitness. It's good to get outdoors!

April is a good time to be outdoors (especially before the hayfever season sets in!)

I hope the weather is improving for the weekend.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Thanks for this post, Jon. I had wondered about the red building which is visible as you drive across the international bridge. The maps are informative, too.

"Senderismo, Rutas de Flora y Fauna, Ornitología, etc..." are becoming more popular for all ages and levels of fitness. It's good to get outdoors!

April is a good time to be outdoors (especially before the hayfever season sets in!)

I hope the weather is improving for the weekend.
I went on my motorbike yesterday. It was a nice 'village fete' atmosphere, a small local market, presentations etc. There were jeep rides into the salinas, and actually I saw a lot of birds. As its gravelly and one has to be careful on the bike, I was driving slow so not making a lot of noise, and at one point a bird of prey of some sort (kestrel? - no idea)... was flying just above my head for quite a way. Really good!

Blue skies today - and a group of friends are going to town to enjoy that and have lunch. Debating whether to wear shorts!

Jon
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I went on my motorbike yesterday. It was a nice 'village fete' atmosphere, a small local market, presentations etc. There were jeep rides into the salinas, and actually I saw a lot of birds. As its gravelly and one has to be careful on the bike, I was driving slow so not making a lot of noise, and at one point a bird of prey of some sort (kestrel? - no idea)... was flying just above my head for quite a way. Really good!

Blue skies today - and a group of friends are going to town to enjoy that and have lunch. Debating whether to wear shorts!

Jon
Three books that are a must here are :- Tree's of Britain & Europe (Black's), Pocket Nature Mediterranean Wild Flowers (Neil Fletcher) and Bird Guide (Collins) which is the most complete field guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe. These should open a whole new world for you and its really good to have a hobby
Old Apr 6th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bryony for the references.

IIRC there are multi-lingual booklets for sale at the "Molino de El Pintado".
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Three books that are a must here are :- Tree's of Britain & Europe (Black's), Pocket Nature Mediterranean Wild Flowers (Neil Fletcher) and Bird Guide (Collins) which is the most complete field guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe. These should open a whole new world for you and its really good to have a hobby
Thanks for the reference literature..... good to know. But I've yet to 'get into' all this ... and as I have many hobbies, not sure where to fit this in.

One thing we really appreciate is the bird-song in the mornings here - and we have singing birds on our bathroom window sill. But they fly away when I get the camera out.

I've yet to find the 'twitcher/birder' in me as well as the 'nature-guy'! Maybe that will come with time ..... as I do find myself appreciating it over here. Will attach some photos as well shortly .... of flowers that my OH asked me to take!!

The 'biker' is finding his sensitive side

Thanks again

Jon
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

This has been for many years a must stop for us when we visit the Algarve, I'm the Chauffer and Mrs Fred is the Twitcher.
An excellent quiet place, whilst an increase in popularity is welcome the peace and quiet is also welcome
Old May 5th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
This has been for many years a must stop for us when we visit the Algarve, I'm the Chauffer and Mrs Fred is the Twitcher.
An excellent quiet place, whilst an increase in popularity is welcome the peace and quiet is also welcome
For all you 'Twitchers' out there (Mrs Fred included) we have a pair of Monk Parakeets living/nesting in the roof tiles of the apartment opposite us. Regards Bryony
Old May 6th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Mornin' Bryony,

I googled the birdies then goggled at this news article:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...69343204868268

Old May 6th 2014, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mornin' Bryony,

Yes, I must admit I have been doing a bit of research on them and they do seem to take over where ever they are. According to Wikipedia there are several states in the USA where they have made homes with 100,000 in Florida alone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_Pa...tes_of_America
Old May 6th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

They look so cute, but appear to be a nuisance. If you see two, then undoubtedly more will follow to nest. I wonder what the local birdwatching society says on the matter? (Castro Marim, or Huelva?) Ah, too late for Monday Club (MC). Perhaps Plaza de la Laguna for more info?
Interested to hear what you find.
Old May 6th 2014, 10:21 am
BE Positive

They look so cute, but appear to be a nuisance. If you see two, then undoubtedly more will follow to nest. I wonder what the local birdwatching society says on the matter? (Castro Marim, or Huelva?) Ah, too late for Monday Club (MC). Perhaps Plaza de la Laguna for more info?
Interested to hear what you find.
They took over Brussels and in fact nested and made a helluva racket in NATO... Probably annoyed many people.... We joked that Bush increasingly annoyed at the squaking birds said "damn it lets bomb Iraq and get outta here"

Jon
Old May 6th 2014, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

"Bird in the hand worth two in the bush" boom,boom (groan!)
Old May 6th 2014, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mornin' Bryony,

BTW Carol, I was unable to read the entire article as I do not subscribe to the WSJ but was 'amused' by the 1st line alluding to us as being a nation of Wellie wearers, I do wear slippers indoors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.