Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

beware of a con man

beware of a con man

Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

jan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation beware of a con man

I would like to notify all to beware of a computer engineer/estate agent/party organizer / what ever you can think of......
His name his Phil from who lives in Los Almendros in San Pedro don't fall in
his trap,I did ,and since I found out few others did too.
I searched in the Sur in English for a computer engineer to resolve a problem in my laptop
Called this" Phill man" who had promised to fix it for 50 Euros and guess what ?

He had for 3 weeks and when I called him to find out what is outcome
I was told that it would cost me 180+50 Euros .
I reminded him of our agreement . He than said that if I wanted my computer back he would charge me only 50 Euros even though he did not fix the problem. until now I still don't have it
What do you think I should do?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beware of a con man

Originally Posted by jan123
I would like to notify all to beware of a computer engineer/estate agent/party organizer / what ever you can think of......
His name his Phil from who lives in Los Almendros in San Pedro don't fall in
his trap,I did ,and since I found out few others did too.
I searched in the Sur in English for a computer engineer to resolve a problem in my laptop
Called this" Phill man" who had promised to fix it for 50 Euros and guess what ?

He had for 3 weeks and when I called him to find out what is outcome
I was told that it would cost me 180+50 Euros .
I reminded him of our agreement . He than said that if I wanted my computer back he would charge me only 50 Euros even though he did not fix the problem. until now I still don't have it
What do you think I should do?

PanicTake your copy of Sur to the officina del consumador and explain.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

jan123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Phone him and tell him you will denounce him unless he returns your laptop within 24 hours.

Then denounce him
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

And tell him you are putting his details on every forum you can think of!!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jontee
And tell him you are putting his details on every forum you can think of!!
Bit too late for him to stop that though....
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jan123
The problem with repairing any complex piece of kit, such as a PC, is often that the problem is not what the customer thinks it is. If the customer is not correct 50 Euros may not be a high price to pay to diagnose the fault as the rectification of the fault may well take a lot more time and so run into much higher figures.

Never take only one estimate and make sure you and the person fixing an item are in agreement. Get it in writing.

Five years ago £40 was a reasonable price to get an engineer to look at a video recorder and then make a decision as to whether it was worth fixing. But you still had to pay the £40 on top of the actual cost of fixing it.

Not very satisfying to you I know but as the old saying goes "The labourer is worthy of his hire".

Hope you manage to resolve the problem successfully to your satisfaction.

Jim
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I took my laptop to a local Spanish chap. It would not boot up so I suspected the worst & just wanted the files retrieving.

Anyway, for the princely sum of 12e he did exactly that & gave me a receipt!

The good suppliers are still busy, the poor ones have been steadily falling away pretty much in the order in which they are poor.

The good ones are not all Spanish, a few are from the UK, Germany.