Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best way to Renew Passport Whilst In Spain?

Best way to Renew Passport Whilst In Spain?

Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to Renew Passport Whilst In Spain?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes there are. The appropriate signatories are listed on the application form but as they include civil servants and teachers, retired or otherwise, it shouldn't be difficult to find someone to sign.

In reality it is extremely unlikely that they would ever check unless it was a suspect first application.
Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a passport in the UK even if you are resident in Spain.

From the FCO website:-

"Yes, even if you are resident in Spain or Portugal, you may now apply to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) in person whilst visiting the UK.
In order to do this, you need to make an appointment with IPS in the UK and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted.
Applicants will have to be available at this address to sign for the receipt of the passport. Please note that IPS do not accept applications by post or e-mail if you live abroad."

Also the photo requirements have changed for applications via the Embassy.

"Please note that when you are making an application for a British passport overseas, the background of the passport photograph required can be white. The photographs also do not have to be printed on plain white photographic paper. This differs from IPS requirements"
I looked at arranging an appointment in UK while I was over but the cost was more.
I had to have my photos on a beige or grey background though, god knows why.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a passport in the UK even if you are resident in Spain.

From the FCO website:-

"Yes, even if you are resident in Spain or Portugal, you may now apply to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) in person whilst visiting the UK.
In order to do this, you need to make an appointment with IPS in the UK and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted.
Applicants will have to be available at this address to sign for the receipt of the passport. Please note that IPS do not accept applications by post or e-mail if you live abroad."

Also the photo requirements have changed for applications via the Embassy.

"Please note that when you are making an application for a British passport overseas, the background of the passport photograph required can be white. The photographs also do not have to be printed on plain white photographic paper. This differs from IPS requirements"
So do you think this is easier?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:15 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

I have been in touch with the Embassy in Madrid and exchanged many emails.

They accept that if we do not have a VALID residence card (not the worthless piece of green paper) then we are obliged to carry our ORIGINAL PASSPORT at all times or a copy which has been certified BY THE BRITISH CONSUL. Nothing else is legal, even through many of us 'get away' with using copies of some sort, driving licences, laundry lists etc.

What will the Embassy do to ensure that we are not breaking the law when we must send our old passport with the renewal application ? Absolutely nothing.

It's great to be British and get that extra special service which the inflated cost of the new passport and other forms entitles us to !!!!!

PS A Spanish ten year passport is issued at the nearest National Police Documentation Office, costs 10 euros and the bearer can go to just about al the countries a UK passport holder can !!!!!

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 5th 2010 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
I have been in touch with the Embassy in Madrid and exchanged many emails.

They accept that if we do not have a VALID residence card (not the worthless piece of green paper) then we are obliged to carry our ORIGINAL PASSPORT at all times or a copy which has been certified BY THE BRITISH CONSUL. Nothing else is legal, even through many of us 'get away' with using copies of some sort, driving licences, laundry lists etc.

What will the Embassy do to ensure that we are not breaking the law when we must send our old passport with the renewal application ? Absolutely nothing.

It's great to be British and get that extra special service which the inflated cost of the new passport and other forms entitles us to !!!!!

PS A Spanish ten year passport is issued at the nearest National Police Documentation Office, costs 10 euros and the bearer can go to just about al the countries a UK passport holder can !!!!!
Funnily I was just about to ask. What disadvantages and advantages are there to getting a Spanish passport instead?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:43 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Funnily I was just about to ask. What disadvantages and advantages are there to getting a Spanish passport instead?
Good question! I wonder what you need to entitle you to apply (and recieve) a Spanish passport.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So do you think this is easier?
No, it isn't easier but at least it is possible, contrary to what some have said.

Also when you take into account the extra charges for a personal appointment etc it isn't a lot cheaper than applying in Spain.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Good question! I wonder what you need to entitle you to apply (and recieve) a Spanish passport.
Apart from some special cases, you must have been a resident for 10 years and prove that you are integrated into the Spanish community.

It's not an easy process and probably not worth it just to save the cost of a UK passport.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Well, you would need to be a Spanish citizen I suppose.

I'm going to go through that process in a couple of years. I'm sure it will be a pain to do, but once done the burocracy will become much cheaper and easier.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:04 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Veleta
Well, you would need to be a Spanish citizen I suppose.

I'm going to go through that process in a couple of years. I'm sure it will be a pain to do, but once done the bureaucracy will become much cheaper and easier.

If you are from a former Spanish colony, like those in South America or Philippines you need to be in Spain for 2 years before you can apply for citizenship, those from EU countries need to be here 10 years. Other countries vary.

In theory one does not need to be able to speak Spanish, however, as they ask you questions in Spanish, and in our case they would not let me translate for my Filipino wife, at least some Spanish is necessary.

One must show they are integrating into Spanish life. From what I have been able to learn, the 'test' is not that difficult, they ask about basic things in Spain, who is the King, who are his family, major cities, the name of the mayor etc.

We understand that once the application has been forwarded to Madrid we will not hear any more fr at least TWO years.

Having Spanish nationality also means one has an ID card, unlike EU citizens living here who get that worthless pieces of green paper "!

In the case of my Filipino wife, having a Spanish passport will mean she can visit just about all the countries that a UK passport holder can, without the need for a Visa. At present going to even Gib or UK means a personal application and interview at the Brit Embassy is Madrid, paying 100 euros for UK (150 to Gib) and that's just for a one visit visa. The idea that the spouse of a UK citizen can visit UK, even when they have permanent residencia status in a EU country, is not correct.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 6th 2010 at 8:07 am.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

No, it isn't easier but at least it is possible, contrary to what some have said.
But its not possible to apply for a UK passport from Spain, is what I said in response to the easiest way.

We've discussed the appointment method before on here, and as you say its certainly not the easiest way by any means
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But its not possible to apply for a UK passport from Spain, is what I said in response to the easiest way.

We've discussed the appointment method before on here, and as you say its certainly not the easiest way by any means
I have spoken to The Brit Consul in Malaga. What you say is correct.

If one is resident in Spain (and probably elsewhere) then they may renew their passport if they visit UK. If they do not then they can ONLY renew it through the Madrid Consulate.

AND, as I said above, to do so in Spain means we must send the old one which, if we do not have a VALID RESIDENCIA then we are breaking Spanish law.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to The Brit Consul in Malaga. What you say is correct.

If one is resident in Spain (and probably elsewhere) then they may renew their passport if they visit UK. If they do not then they can ONLY renew it through the Madrid Consulate.

AND, as I said above, to do so in Spain means we must send the old one which, if we do not have a VALID RESIDENCIA then we are breaking Spanish law.
What a major embarrassment that would cause if the guardia nicked you and they had to get you out of the pen.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:09 pm

I don't see what having a valid residencia (whatever that is now) has to do with it.

The only valid, legal form of identity in Spain is a passport or national ID card (which Brits do not have).

In the case where documents are being renewed, the police are quite happy to accept documentation to prove that you have had a valid passport and are in the process of renewing it - copies of the old one and copies of the application forms and proof of posting will be sufficient - they are well used to this with driving licence renewals which can take months!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:23 am
Banned

I don't see what having a valid residencia (whatever that is now) has to do with it.

The only valid, legal form of identity in Spain is a passport or national ID card (which Brits do not have).

In the case where documents are being renewed, the police are quite happy to accept documentation to prove that you have had a valid passport and are in the process of renewing it - copies of the old one and copies of the application forms and proof of posting will be sufficient - they are well used to this with driving licence renewals which can take months!
I bow to your superior knowledge, despite the fact that I have been a volunteer translator with the National Police for 15 years and the British Embassy are of precisely the same opinion as me !

During the 15 years I have been a volunteer and the several years when I coordinating five teams of volunteers working at other National and Guardia Civil offices, I have been aware on many occasions when people who did not have there original Residencia card or Original passport, being sent away to get them. I have also been in Notaries offices when only the same documents were acceptable as ID and people were unable to sign or witness documents before the notary.

As you said, "The only valid, legal form of identity in Spain is a passport or national ID card (which Brits do not have). Thus, as you say, that does not include papers which show an application has been made to renew a passport.

As for a Residencia card: They were obligatory until April 2007 and valid for 5 years, thus some people still have a valid (in date) card. Also people who are not EU citizens are still issued with Residencia cards (my wife and several friends from Canada and USA have them).

According to Spanish and EU law a residencia Card is a valid ID in the whole of the Schengen Area.

But as I said, you MAY know better ! or ignorance may be bliss !

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 7th 2010 at 6:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.