Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Spanish bank for residents?

Best Spanish bank for residents?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Spanish bank for residents?

I’ve lived in Spain for many years and I’m a resident. I’ve had a Spanish bank account for day to day living with a major Spanish bank for that time (Bankinter). A private pension is paid into that account on a monthly basis and apart from one yearly standing order, for car insurance, the account is not used for anything else. I use a debit card supplied by the bank for my daily needs.

During my end of year accounting I noticed that the bank charges have crept up over the years and on the odd occasion that I’ve had to speak to a member of the bank staff, the service hasn’t been great. Bank loyalty doesn’t seem to count for anything any more, and my original manager has been promoted and moved to Madrid.

I’m thinking of changing to another major Spanish bank – a Deutsche Bank is the nearest to where I live, but none of the other major banks are too far away.

Any recommendations please?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Spanish bank for residents?

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve lived in Spain for many years and I’m a resident. I’ve had a Spanish bank account for day to day living with a major Spanish bank for that time (Bankinter). A private pension is paid into that account on a monthly basis and apart from one yearly standing order, for car insurance, the account is not used for anything else. I use a debit card supplied by the bank for my daily needs.

During my end of year accounting I noticed that the bank charges have crept up over the years and on the odd occasion that I’ve had to speak to a member of the bank staff, the service hasn’t been great. Bank loyalty doesn’t seem to count for anything any more, and my original manager has been promoted and moved to Madrid.

I’m thinking of changing to another major Spanish bank – a Deutsche Bank is the nearest to where I live, but none of the other major banks are too far away.

Any recommendations please?
Most Spanish banks are crap at customer relations, ours moved and didn`t even tell us.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Can't fault Solbank, been with them for 4 years now (and have 3 different accounts) and never had a problem. Not sure how much your pension is but if you can pay in at least 700€ a month, "a salary", into their new personal account it is free from all charges
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We swear by Bancaja, been with them as non-residents and then as residents for 7 years with no problems.

Mind you the bank manager did phone me one day and said "Rosemary I want to see you tomorrow". I had no idea what it could be about and he very solemnly beckoned me over to his office when I arrived there. He then told me that I should have received a letter (I had not) still with a very stern look on his face. Then he grinned like mad and produced a box with a gift in it for having my pension paid into the account. Talk about a relief for me....plus I had always thought that he was quite strait laced and no sense of humour.

Rosemary
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:21 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Superficially, I don’t incur bank charges, but in reality there are maintenance charges and conversion ones when my money arrives from the UK. I had a Caja account some years ago, but found them to be inflexible at the time, but I may look at them again.

I suppose the quality of customer service depends on the local branch and I only have experience of one Bankinter one, where the four visible officials are less and less helpful and I don’t trouble them often. Maybe it’s because of the crisis.

To get to my branch involves a ten-minute drive, not a big deal – but I can walk to a branch of Deutsche Bank in five minutes, and there’s a CAM Caja next door. The Deutsche Bank is administered from Madrid, the same as Barclays in Spain.

Does anyone have any experience of the Deutsche Bank in Spain?

And do many years of customer loyalty matter at all nowadays?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:39 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second the Solbank recommendation. The guys in our branch are excellent, all speak excellent English, and can't help us enough. We have had the occasional charge - but one phone call later, and they usually refund it. Not sure that's supposed to be policy, but our chappie is a sweetie!

I also love the online banking, as it's really simple to use.

Elle xx
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. Didn't Sol Bank used to be the Nat West?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also 100% happy with solbank, just visit there website to see how much they appreciate English customers.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Can't fault Solbank, been with them for 4 years now (and have 3 different accounts) and never had a problem. Not sure how much your pension is but if you can pay in at least 700€ a month, "a salary", into their new personal account it is free from all charges
I second that , they are one of the few Spanish banks that you can negotiate with
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll fifth ! Solbank, I use two branches and both are perfect, and fluent English so little gets "lost in translation".
I have recently changed my account to the free one, having my meagre private pension paid direct and all charges incurred during the changeover have been refunded.
On the previous account whenever I complained about charges they were refunded anyway, but being Victor Meldrew is not really my style.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. Looks like a trip to the Solbank for me then, and the car park is right opposite. I still feel sad about the last 15 years with my current bank, but I don't suppose they'll miss me.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

shoemanpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there not a Lloyds International in your area? I am with them in Fuengirola, have free debit cards, free same day transfers from my UK bank account with Hbos and they give excellent service and speak English!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:17 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shoemanpete
Is there not a Lloyds International in your area? I am with them in Fuengirola, have free debit cards, free same day transfers from my UK bank account with Hbos and they give excellent service and speak English!
No, I'm afraid there isn't, but thanks for the info.