Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best places to live in the future

Best places to live in the future

Old Aug 12th 2016, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best places to live in the future

Regarding my earlier post about Moraira becoming more and more crowded. I'm sure this town is not unique in this respect, but with the ever increasing security issues in other places around the world, eg; Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt, France etc, more foreign travellers are coming to Spain instead of their previous destination choices. Unless, God forbid, a terrorist attack against tourists here in Spain occurs (and yes i do remember the train bombings), the the visitor numbers here will only grow and grow putting increasing demands upon resources and infrastructure.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Regarding my earlier post about Moraira becoming more and more crowded. I'm sure this town is not unique in this respect, but with the ever increasing security issues in other places around the world, eg; Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt, France etc, more foreign travellers are coming to Spain instead of their previous destination choices. Unless, God forbid, a terrorist attack against tourists here in Spain occurs (and yes i do remember the train bombings), the the visitor numbers here will only grow and grow putting increasing demands upon resources and infrastructure.
Spain will always be a magnet for tourists because of guaranteed sun.

Having said that, water management is both an economic and political issue. Water is managed by public companies and in the present crisis, the government is reluctant to increase water charges to the public and especially farmers, who contribute massively to Spain's exports.
Here's an interesting article from the New York Times of 2013, regarding 'reverse osmosis' (desalinating sea water) and why it has currently become a 'no-no'.
Water is too scarce a product to take for granted. It needs a courageous government (no chance with this one) to sort out the problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/bu...avel.html?_r=0
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Fortunately individual tastes differ otherwise there would be 300 Million Europeans sat on the beach at the Costa del Sol every year.
My point was more about the discussion topic, green, well-watered and not over-populated
Yes, run for the hills, fresh water, lakes and waterfalls with seasonal weather, hot in the summer and not so hot winter nights. Lots of warm rain in the rainy season.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Spain will always be a magnet for tourists because of guaranteed sun.

Having said that, water management is both an economic and political issue. Water is managed by public companies and in the present crisis, the government is reluctant to increase water charges to the public and especially farmers, who contribute massively to Spain's exports.
Here's an interesting article from the New York Times of 2013, regarding 'reverse osmosis' (desalinating sea water) and why it has currently become a 'no-no'.
Water is too scarce a product to take for granted. It needs a courageous government (no chance with this one) to sort out the problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/bu...avel.html?_r=0
Regardless of the politics of it all desalination plants are a wise safeguard. In a number of smaller countries, particularly islands, they are not political tools but essential instruments that are used when the reservoirs are low after less than expected rainfall. Life saving.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Most pleasant places on the coasts are packed in the summer and at most other times they're fine. I wouldn't live in Moraira because it's too quiet the vast majority of the time. It's uncomfortably busy for about 10 weeks of the year.