Reload this Page >

Best places to live?

Best places to live?

Old Nov 4th 2018, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Gonnel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best places to live?

Hi folks,
i currently have a place in torrevieja and would like to try living somewhere else in Spain when I retire. I'd like to experience the real Spain. I would like your thoughts on the best places to live in Spain that meet the following criteria:

Not too touristy but not isolated
Friendly and welcoming place
I want to integrate and feel like part of the community with Spanish friends
Not too far from the coast (up to 30 mins drive)
Within walking distance of amenities
Need to be active and keep busy (including walking, cycling, societies etc)
Not too far from an airport (up to 90 mins)

I look forward to hearing some suggestions.

Much appreciated
Gonnel
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best places to live?

This question has been asked many times before with varying replies. I suggest that you do a thorough search of the forum in order to see what has been said in the past.

Rosemary
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

The Basque country plus Navarra would tick those boxes. Asturias & Galicia would also be similar, less expensive possibly.
However, it's a very subjective question to answer. Where is the real Spain? The costa del sol no, but a few kilometres inland, then yes. Castilla is real Spain, but a long way from the coast! So is Aragon, a beautiful province.
Most people who live along the costas aren't too keen on the northern climate. But that's so variable too. Here (Bizkaia) we get about 1200l/year, but summers can be pretty hot too, sometimes touching 35-40C.
We have lots of cycling, walking, surfing, mountaineering to name a few. Everybody speaks Spanish but not everyone speaks Basque.
More homework to do!
Old Nov 4th 2018, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks R I E for your really helpful reply. I would prefer somewhere warm and generally dry if I'm honest! That said I will have a look at the places you suggest.
Regards
Gonnel
Old Nov 4th 2018, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

So you would like to "experience the real Spain" Please tell us in your opinion what you feel the real Spain to be?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Torrevieja is as Spanish as you get. Not only that but it fits the list you want. Torrevieja is mostly working and retired Spanish. There are some foreigners in the town but not so many as to alter the culture. Don't think you are going to experience that much difference elsewhere. I lived in Logroño for a year as I was told it was the real Spain. I think I expected to see donkeys and strange wise shepherds. I didn't. Just grafiti, phones, shouty neighbours and lots of bad Mel Gibson films
Old Nov 5th 2018, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
I would say Torrevieja is as Spanish as you get. Not only that but it fits the list you want. Torrevieja is mostly working and retired Spanish. There are some foreigners in the town but not so many as to alter the culture. Don't think you are going to experience that much difference elsewhere. I lived in Logroño for a year as I was told it was the real Spain. I think I expected to see donkeys and strange wise shepherds. I didn't. Just grafiti, phones, shouty neighbours and lots of bad Mel Gibson films
Let's face it, there is no real Spain anymore than real anywhere else. It's what our preconceptions want it to be, so usually we end up disappointed.
No one delivers milk on donkeys anymore, though I do remember that from my first visit here in 1973.
We just need to take the good with the bad.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

I suppose real Spain means something different to each person. Perhaps i should have avoided the term and just stuck to what I'm looking for i.e. to avoid touristy areas, integrate into Spanish society, have lots of spanish friends, learn more about the culture and traditions, feel part of and contribute to the community. The other criteria are what I explained earlier. I'm just looking for suggestions of places where I can visit and spend some time to see if I like it.

Regards
Gonnel
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Gonnel, do you happen to speak the spanish language to a conversational level?
Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Not yet, but I'm learning and will do so.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

That's two of us then. I think it is the single greatest thing to preventing integration with those of another culture. I once managed to introduce myself to all the people living in our block of flats, simply by cutting the communal aerial cable in two! Their disbelief and irritation didn't need Google Translate.

So my suggestion is that you visit Gandia as the residents are a not unused to strange people in their midst.

Last edited by jonboy; Nov 6th 2018 at 9:09 am. Reason: added an 'n'.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Great reply jonboy 😂😂😂
Old Nov 7th 2018, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I've just moved to a small fishing village in the south of Gran Canaria.

Annual temp between 21c to 28c. There is no winter in the south of the island.
One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And I lived in the mountains in Tibet for 16 years. Gran Canaria is just more beautiful.
Different laws on some things to the mainland, so you can get things done much quicker. I got my NIE number, bank account opened, medical insurance done all on the same day. My Satellite TV, mobile phone contract and internet for the house was done the next day.

Only 7% tax on goods compared to 21% on mainland Spain.

High class tourists. All the drunk British wearing plastic union jack hats go to Tenerife.

The only negative is that you need a lot of cash to be here. House prices are crazy and so are rental prices. I've also been told by 3 lawyer/gestors that to be even considered for residency you need to show a minimum of 5000 EUR per month going into your account.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by owned
I've just moved to a small fishing village in the south of Gran Canaria.

Annual temp between 21c to 28c. There is no winter in the south of the island.
One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And I lived in the mountains in Tibet for 16 years. Gran Canaria is just more beautiful.
Different laws on some things to the mainland, so you can get things done much quicker. I got my NIE number, bank account opened, medical insurance done all on the same day. My Satellite TV, mobile phone contract and internet for the house was done the next day.

Only 7% tax on goods compared to 21% on mainland Spain.

High class tourists. All the drunk British wearing plastic union jack hats go to Tenerife.

The only negative is that you need a lot of cash to be here. House prices are crazy and so are rental prices. I've also been told by 3 lawyer/gestors that to be even considered for residency you need to show a minimum of 5000 EUR per month going into your account.
Nice place Gran Canaria. Guess you won't be becoming a resident then!! What's your village called? Do you think you'll be able to keep occupied?
Old Nov 8th 2018, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Pruna, Olvera, Teba etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.