Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best English Language Paper

Best English Language Paper

Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best English Language Paper

The Euro Weekly receives a mention in El País this weekend - sparking a heated debate in the comments over which is the better organ - the Weenie or The Olive Press.
El País article
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best English Language Paper

You missed one - The TypicalSpain.
I think they all suffer from something, but I can't pinpoint it. I realise most of their customers are on the coasts or the islands, so multiple articles on the rail changes in Madrid or the industries of Bilbao aren't going to attract readers.
I suppose the fact is that there are segmented markets for English readers in Spain - those in Barcelona would prefer the Metropolitan ( http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com/ ) and those in Madrid would prefer inMadrid ( http://www.inmadrid.com/ ) - edit a new one for Madrid appears to be http://www.madbudget.com/
Seriously, I have considered launching a web publication myself - the tech is quite easy nowadays and the use of content management systems makes it easy to allow regular contributors to log in and add their articles - I believe OlivePress uses an adapted WordPress theme. But it would be a lot of hassle pointing out to prospective contributors that in these days of bloggers everywhere, a few paragraphs do not merit £500 pay levels.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Aug 28th 2012 at 5:47 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you should go ahead and do it Stevie.
If you were the Ed, in no time at all tourists would be flocking down in their tens of thousands and every hotel bed on the Costas and in Madrid would be fully booked.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I reckon you should go ahead and do it Stevie.
If you were the Ed, in no time at all tourists would be flocking down in their tens of thousands and every hotel bed on the Costas and in Madrid would be fully booked.
Heh - I'd keep as much as possible to the admin and webmaster side. A bit of controversy may help with publicity, but I'd leave the writing to those with a wee bit more talent than I possess.
Incidentally there is a big earning opp coming up, when the Spanish nationals are forbidden those "Relax" adverts (of course this law may never come about). The pimps behind those ads will need to advertise somewhere, but an English language pub serving Brits in Spain probably ain't it.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Interesting too, that various Spanish publications have started English versions in the last couple of years. In Sport you can read As 's version in English http://www.as.com/english/ El Pais now has an English version http://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html and one of their economics sites ElConfidencial is now also in English http://en.elconfidencial.com/
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:16 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie, all that shows is that Spain has to embrace The International Language.
Any news on Rajoy's English lessons ??
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Interesting too, that various Spanish publications have started English versions in the last couple of years. In Sport you can read As 's version in English http://www.as.com/english/ El Pais now has an English version http://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html and one of their economics sites ElConfidencial is now also in English http://en.elconfidencial.com/
El Pais has had an English version for years. It used to be translated and produced by the New York Herald (?), and you could download PDFs.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the Euro Weekly online quite a bit, I think its about the best out there. You know, for someone not in Spain
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, the Costa Blanca News, and it's sister paper, the Costa Del Sol News are the only ones you need to pay for, the dozen or so others are free.

I've read all of them many times and you definitely get what you pay for.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by HBG
As far as I'm aware, the Costa Blanca News, and it's sister paper, the Costa Del Sol News are the only ones you need to pay for, the dozen or so others are free.

I've read all of them many times and you definitely get what you pay for.
There are free publications that I find worthwhile. I always seek out a copy of inMadrid when i visit the city, just in case there is something taking place that I'm not aware of. When I lived there and travelled around a lot on the Metro, the various freebies like ADN or Que! helped to pass the time.
Here in London I find the Evening Standard isn't so bad to peruse on an evening. I won't mention the morning free sheet, which is dire.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Evening Standard. Don't commute though so only get it about once per week unless I see daughter and she has one.

I think most foreign press have an English edition, even the China news. Don't like the Euroweekly, seems full of dubious financial ads although haven't read it for years, perhaps it has improved I blame that paper for me choosing the dentist from hell which cost me thousands plus months of agony....the plonker had a weekly column in it I prefer the Olive Press, by far the best I have read in Spain.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:34 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I find the "English" in some of the expat papers for the CDS area a bit stilted, olde worlde, and some of the Spanishness not taken out.
But it is Spain......
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be surprised to see this sort of headline in those papers:

British woman slightly injured in car crash!
Four Spaniards also killed.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
That's a big, big chip you have on your shoulder.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

If I had some fish I could have a meal on you

funny how the Spanish press always put the Spanish citizens first when listing, for example, people injured or killed, leaving the poor Brits, Germans, Guatamalans to the very end as an after thought.

for once you have shown a big bias that is totally unnecessary, but after our fish and chip supper you will feel less one sided

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.