Reload this Page >

Best Broadband Provider - La Safor

Best Broadband Provider - La Safor

Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Bosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Broadband Provider - La Safor

Hi All
Although I have lived in Spain for the last 28 years I am new to this forum!
I am currently living in Almeria but am moving to Villalonga near Gandia in about ten days.
I currently have broadband with Telefonica (Movistar) and although I live in a town I currently have less than 1mb download speed. I am hoping to be able to improve upon this when I move and wondered if anyone else living in the La Safor area had any suggestions/words of wisdom to share?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Broadband Provider - La Safor

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the welcome, Rosemary.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bosie
Hi All
Although I have lived in Spain for the last 28 years I am new to this forum!
I am currently living in Almeria but am moving to Villalonga near Gandia in about ten days.
I currently have broadband with Telefonica (Movistar) and although I live in a town I currently have less than 1mb download speed. I am hoping to be able to improve upon this when I move and wondered if anyone else living in the La Safor area had any suggestions/words of wisdom to share?
Thanks in advance.
I live not far from Gandia and I use Europa network for phone, TV and broadband (some will say good others bad) but I have no complaints. I pay for 10mb broadband speed and regularly get above 7.9 mbps. I haven't the space for a large satellite dish so get tv using the same router and set top box purchased from Europa, again no complaints.

Round Town network provide a practically identical system so give both a ring, I would think that Gandia phone lines would be able to provide you with a decent broadband speed whereas some areas with antiquated lines might be more of a problem.

I don't know much about Telefonica (Movistar) but could be worth considering.

I'm sure there are others but haven't really looked into them.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:05 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

No matter who you go with or what are you are in, the speed of the service will depend on how far you are away from the exchange in Villalonga, the quality of the lines...and what you want to pay for.

Some areas will have great speeds, due to their proximity to the exchange, others outer areas will simply get the 1m "rural" service.

Europa RTN etc will all use the movistar infrastructure anyways, so they will all offer the same speeds. OK they offer a bit more (uk calls, sd tv).

So the answer is - depends if you live in the town of Villalonga near the exchange, or outside in the rural areas or an urb on the outskirts...
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both Michael74 & The Guy for your prompt responses.
I will be living in the town but at this point in time do not know the location of the exchange - guess I will have to look into it further when I get there.
In case I can only get a slow speed through the telefonica network I was really interested in any alternatives that might be available in the area eg satelite.
Thanks again for your time guys.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Vino Tonto is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll be fine in Villalonga town. The exchange is close to the centre of town.
Assuming there is a telefonica line to the house I would recommend a company called Direct Telecom who are based in Tenerife. They do similar packages to Europa and RTN though a touch more competitive.We have been with them for years and have recommended them to others. Very helpful if you phone them - they'll sort everything out. They do an Internet and phone line package with a speed of 8mb - You should get close to that in the town. The package also gives free national calls and 300 minutes of international calls per month and a load of UK tv channels for free via the internet. Hope this will be helpful and good luck with the move.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Vino Tonto, sounds perfect!
Having had less than 1mb for years anywhere near the 8mb mark would be amazing!
Thanks again for your response and wishes of good luck with the move - it is said that moving house is one of the three most stressful things in life and at the mo' I certainly agree with that - anyway back to the packing!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:23 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

But I know people who are less than 1km from the centre of town and get "rural" speeds - so it is not as clear cut as you would like!

Originally Posted by Vino Tonto
The package also gives free national calls and 300 minutes of international calls per month
I think most providers do the same or similar these days - including movistars fusion package, which also has options to include a mobile in the package also.

Last edited by The Guy; Sep 8th 2014 at 9:26 pm.