Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best area to live in Barcelona

Best area to live in Barcelona

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Worlo24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best area to live in Barcelona

Hi. Myself and partner may be moving to Barcelona next year and are just wondering what areas people would recommend to rent in? We're both 28', enjoy going out and are looking for an area with good transport links as we could be working anywhere in the city.

Any help would be appreciated - heard Raval is quite a unique place to live for couples?

Thanks guys
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area to live in Barcelona

Ha, Raval is an absolute sh*t hole. The whole old town in Barcelona has barely any Spanish or Catalans living in it. In Raval they are mainly Asians along with some Africans and Latin Americans. And all living in close poverty

Basically going out in Barcelona is rubbish as well. Full of tourists, there is barely any local scene going on. Madrid is way way better
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ha, Raval is an absolute sh*t hole. The whole old town in Barcelona has barely any Spanish or Catalans living in it. In Raval they are mainly Asians along with some Africans and Latin Americans. And all living in close poverty

Basically going out in Barcelona is rubbish as well. Full of tourists, there is barely any local scene going on. Madrid is way way better
I have visited Barcelona 3 times now, the last two under some duress and I hate the place. The first time was the usual Ramblas, Gaudi and Port area. The second time and third time we were braver and looked beyond the tourist areas. Not a pretty sight.

I agree Madrid is a much better option.

Where's Stevie when we need him? I miss his commentary on life in Madrid
Old Sep 24th 2014, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
I have visited Barcelona 3 times now, the last two under some duress and I hate the place. The first time was the usual Ramblas, Gaudi and Port area. The second time and third time we were braver and looked beyond the tourist areas. Not a pretty sight.

I agree Madrid is a much better option.

Where's Stevie when we need him? I miss his commentary on life in Madrid
There are some nice parts of Barcelona. San Cugat, Gracia and Poble Nou for example, but they are not good places for going out really

There are a few pretecious bars in the old town and the odd good one in Eixample but that is about it
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I like San Cugat but I suspect even in these times it's very expensive. A friend lived there 5+ years ago & a 3 bed flat (it was a nice urb with pool & gardens) was 1200e pcm, they sold for c million e.

San Cugat is lovely though, nice cafes, shops, good access into the city.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I feel a whole lot happier about living in Madrid now

I spent several months in Barcelona back in 2002 before moving to Madrid, and back then I thought it was great (lived in Gracia district) and it took me a lot longer to get to like Madrid having lived in Barcelona.

Has Barcelona changed that much? Or was it just me looking at the place through tourist's eyes back then, and not scratching the surface enough?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
I feel a whole lot happier about living in Madrid now

I spent several months in Barcelona back in 2002 before moving to Madrid, and back then I thought it was great (lived in Gracia district) and it took me a lot longer to get to like Madrid having lived in Barcelona.

Has Barcelona changed that much? Or was it just me looking at the place through tourist's eyes back then, and not scratching the surface enough?
I suppose any place can be s...Again it's just opinions and many people would prefer Barcelona. If you like the coast, Barcelona is obviously better. If you like skiing Madrid might be your choice. OP also never mentioned Madrid, so no point to compare. San Sebastian is also nice
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

What nonsense! Barely any local scene? Give me a break. And when were you last in the Raval? Sure it can be edgy and there are parts I avoid esp around Sant Pau and Ramon but the areas in and around MACBA are buzzy and full of interesting restos and bars. That said I wouldn't want to live there - I prefer the more genteel Eixample. CNN just had an article this week on the top 10 nightlife cities in the world which rated Barcelona at number 6. Sure I know these things are subjective but when you get off the cuff comments that say that "going out is rubbish" you have to question the source when so many others think its a fantastic place. I can't answer your question about "best place to live" because I don't know what your looking for and so much depends on your age, interests and budget.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose any place can be s...Again it's just opinions and many people would prefer Barcelona. If you like the coast, Barcelona is obviously better. If you like skiing Madrid might be your choice. OP also never mentioned Madrid, so no point to compare. San Sebastian is also nice
I'm not sure why you say that if you like skiing then Madrid would be your choice? The skiing in the Pyrenees near Barcelona is the best in Spain.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tim1963
What nonsense! Barely any local scene? Give me a break. And when were you last in the Raval? Sure it can be edgy and there are parts I avoid esp around Sant Pau and Ramon but the areas in and around MACBA are buzzy and full of interesting restos and bars. That said I wouldn't want to live there - I prefer the more genteel Eixample. CNN just had an article this week on the top 10 nightlife cities in the world which rated Barcelona at number 6. Sure I know these things are subjective but when you get off the cuff comments that say that "going out is rubbish" you have to question the source when so many others think its a fantastic place. I can't answer your question about "best place to live" because I don't know what your looking for and so much depends on your age, interests and budget.
I lived in Barcelona from 2007-2009 in my late 20s. I came from London which has a truely great nightlife

I was looking forward to the Barcelona nightlife because of articles like that you may see on CNN but realised early on that it was mainly marketing b*llocks

Barcelona is a disneyland for drunk English speaking tourists. The centre of the city is a slightly more upmarket Magaluf and lacks the authenticity and atmosphere that a good city should have. I have said on here before, but Barcelona has all the atmosphere of a Weatherspoons pub.

It is a true shame because Barcelona should be a great city, but the 7 millions tourists each year have ruined it

Btw, that isnt just my opinion, I have spoken to many young Catalans in Barcelona and they feel the same. THere is also an apartheid system like there is on the Costa Del Sol where locals and English speaking foreigners rarely mix.

Last edited by cricketman; Sep 25th 2014 at 8:21 am.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why you say that if you like skiing then Madrid would be your choice? The skiing in the Pyrenees near Barcelona is the best in Spain.
I thought that as well. The snow on the Madrid ski slopes is not guaranteed, and when it is there they are packed out apparently. It's probably akin to skiing in Scotland. On the other hand, the slopes are only an hour away (less of course if you live nearer the mountains) so you can ski more regularly and cheaply than if you lived in Barcelona (provided there is snow of course). Most MadrileƱos I know who do ski go to the Pyrenees for their skiing holidays.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chopera
I thought that as well. The snow on the Madrid ski slopes is not guaranteed, and when it is there they are packed out apparently. It's probably akin to skiing in Scotland. On the other hand, the slopes are only an hour away (less of course if you live nearer the mountains) so you can ski more regularly and cheaply than if you lived in Barcelona (provided there is snow of course). Most MadrileƱos I know who do ski go to the Pyrenees for their skiing holidays.
You can get to the ski slopes in 40 mins here in Oviedo!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

I lived in Barcelona from 2007-2009 in my late 20s. I came from London which has a truely great nightlife

I was looking forward to the Barcelona nightlife because of articles like that you may see on CNN but realised early on that it was mainly marketing b*llocks

Barcelona is a disneyland for drunk English speaking tourists. The centre of the city is a slightly more upmarket Magaluf and lacks the authenticity and atmosphere that a good city should have. I have said on here before, but Barcelona has all the atmosphere of a Weatherspoons pub.

It is a true shame because Barcelona should be a great city, but the 7 millions tourists each year have ruined it

Btw, that isnt just my opinion, I have spoken to many young Catalans in Barcelona and they feel the same. THere is also an apartheid system like there is on the Costa Del Sol where locals and English speaking foreigners rarely mix.
Clearly you have a bug up your ass about Barcelona that no-one's opinion will dislodge. Sorry about that.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, so now we know Barcelona is better
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly you have a bug up your ass about Barcelona that no-one's opinion will dislodge. Sorry about that.
I am sorry if my opinions are based on two years experience of living there. What else would you like to base them on?

My opinion is not alone, a lot of people who live (or who have lived) in Barcelona share that opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.