Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benidorm: Still a classic

Benidorm: Still a classic

Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benidorm: Still a classic

Not often we read positive articles on Benidorm, but this piece tries to do so. I suspect it'll still be drawing large numbers of tourists for a long while yet!

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/08/15/...54_091491.html

Fresh bites. Just down the street from Canfali and before hitting the always-packed Calle Alam Alcalde, one of the main pedestrian drags, La Cava Aragonesa, at Plaza de la Constitución, is rated as one of the top places for tapas “in all of Spain,” according to many internet reviews. And these reviewers are not exaggerating. The long glass counters in this perpetually crowded night venue display an array of exotic-looking snacks, making it very difficult to choose what you want to accompany your wine or beer. All-time favorites such as the smoked salmon and Russian salad on bread are available, but for a treat for the palate, try the bacalao al pil pil or the red shrimp.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:45 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm: Still a classic

I thought the tapas might get a mention.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:48 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a good point. There are good and bad areas in all the places in the world. People knock places they have only read about. Benidorm isn't my cup of tea but there you go......

PS. I rarely eat Tapas, in most places the leavings are just added to next days stuff
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:02 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well that's a good point. There are good and bad areas in all the places in the world. People knock places they have only read about. Benidorm isn't my cup of tea but there you go......

PS. I rarely eat Tapas, in most places the leavings are just added to next days stuff
That particular tapas location used to be one of the better ones as I recall.
Unfortunately the minute portions were overpriced and the place usually overcrowded and rarely worth the hassle.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:09 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Funnily enough, you can see the cook preparing things (through a latch or open door) in most tapas bars in Madrid daily. In many places they just wouldn't be able to serve the same things as the previous day. So quite how you imagine "in most places" when you claim you don't go in them...
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Funnily enough, you can see the cook preparing things (through a latch or open door) in most tapas bars in Madrid daily. In many places they just wouldn't be able to serve the same things as the previous day. So quite how you imagine "in most places" when you claim you don't go in them...
I think you will find its an 'on the balance of probability' thing i.e. tiny plates of what look like yesterday's leftovers in many places , leading to that conclusion being drawn.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:38 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you meant the program....
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:17 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jennieJ
I think you will find its an 'on the balance of probability' thing i.e. tiny plates of what look like yesterday's leftovers in many places , leading to that conclusion being drawn.
In a country where ropa vieja is looked upon as a special treat by many, you just never know for sure.
Maybe they think that cooked food matures with age like a good wine.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody who eats Ensaladilla Rusa is eating something that looks like somebody ate it before anyway, IMO, so if it was yesterday's leftovers it could hardly be any worse!

Last edited by Lynn R; Aug 18th 2013 at 4:14 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
In a country where ropa vieja is looked upon as a special treat by many, you just never know for sure.
Maybe they think that cooked food matures with age like a good wine.
Unlike their women !