Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benidorm to Denia Train line closure

Benidorm to Denia Train line closure

Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benidorm to Denia Train line closure

Its been reported that the Government have decided to close this line from the end of the year, meaning that there will be no train line in this area between Benidorm and Gandia.

The common sense in this? I have no idea, as it leaves a large are of the CB, and especially the Marina Alta area with no coastal train service

HERE is the link on change.org
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:06 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm to Denia Train line closure

Terrible news. I used the train service for many years, often all the way to Alicante from Denia, a most convenient way to enjoy the coastal scenery along the way.

We used to stop off at different places, enjoy a few hours exploring the town in question and travel home without worrying about breathalysers.

Altea was one of our favourite stopping places, a brisk walk up into the old town, a meal at the top, and a safe journey home. The journey cost pennies.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Terrible news. I used the train service for many years, often all the way to Alicante from Denia, a most convenient way to enjoy the coastal scenery along the way.

We used to stop off at different places, enjoy a few hours exploring the town in question and travel home without worrying about breathalysers.

Altea was one of our favourite stopping places, a brisk walk up into the old town, a meal at the top, and a safe journey home. The journey cost pennies.
Big shame, used to use it myself occasionally, a pleasant little trip into Denia and it always seemed fairly busy back then.
I presume the Alicante end which they upgraded about ten years ago will remain open, for now at least.
Would have thought it just as easy to keep the whole length open rather than chop it in half as naturally there'll be less passengers on the Alicante section now.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:20 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The strange thing was (is) that you had to be careful which stop you got off at to do your exploring. If you got off at Teulada or Calpe, you would find yourself in the middle of nowhere with an impossible walk into town, and no public transport.

The stop at Albir with a strange name was a request stop, you had to ring the bell to get the train to stop and stick your hand out on the return journey.

Benidorm was way out of town, but there were buses and taxis to take you further, although you could walk down the hill into the old town in about half-an-hour.

And Alicante was quite far out of the city, but the walk into town gave you a lovely view of the castle and it was beaches all the way.

The train journey beat whizzing down the motorway and seeing nothing. I suppose the austerity cuts are to blame for the forthcoming closure, but it's a crying shame.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The strange thing was (is) that you had to be careful which stop you got off at to do your exploring. If you got off at Teulada or Calpe, you would find yourself in the middle of nowhere with an impossible walk into town, and no public transport.

The stop at Albir with a strange name was a request stop, you had to ring the bell to get the train to stop and stick your hand out on the return journey.

Benidorm was way out of town, but there were buses and taxis to take you further, although you could walk down the hill into the old town in about half-an-hour.

And Alicante was quite far out of the city, but the walk into town gave you a lovely view of the castle and it was beaches all the way.

The train journey beat whizzing down the motorway and seeing nothing. I suppose the austerity cuts are to blame for the forthcoming closure, but it's a crying shame.
That happened to me .... getting off at Calpe. It was at a time when I barely knew the area or the language, so I just followed a group who I presumed were locals onto a bus and into the town and then just prayed I would be able to get back again for the return journey.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

Are you sure it is actually closing in 2013. I used it yesterday & the notice said it was going to 2 hourly intervals from next week.

It's actually quite well used but the prices are so low - 2e Denia - Benidorm on the abono that it needs to be full.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:29 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
Are you sure it is actually closing in 2013. I used it yesterday & the notice said it was going to 2 hourly intervals from next week.

It's actually quite well used but the prices are so low - 2e Denia - Benidorm on the abono that it needs to be full.
Well, all I can point you to is the link, and I heard it from about three different people around here, and on a local facebook site. It may well go to 2 hour intervals for the autumn, what I was told was that it would close at the end of this year. I guess we'll have to see wont we, but there are petitions started already
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

So much for the plan to link Valencia to Alicante with a coastal rail line including upgrading/ replacing with a full gauge line from Denia to Alicante.
I would have thought these are just the sort of infrastucture projects that should be going ahead in these times.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:07 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

its not closing.... only for upgrades and maintenance...

http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/201209...-20120918.html
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
its not closing.... only for upgrades and maintenance...

http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/201209...-20120918.html
Better news.
Makes a bit more sense after all the expense of upgrading the Alicante section.