Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benidorm continues to change

Benidorm continues to change

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:41 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benidorm continues to change

But then ... what's this? A new hotel, the Villa Venecia, with five stars above its door. It is a boutique spa hotel, to boot, with spectacular views out to sea and to the wedge-shaped island that punctuates the Benidorm horizon – La Isla de los Periodistas

"We opened a year and a half ago," said employee Tito as he took me to the chill-out terrace, gym, massage room and Jacuzzi. "We get a lot of couples wanting to recharge their batteries." The head chef, Victor Conus Cervantes, from Barcelona, is aiming to get a Michelin star within the next couple of years. "That's the way Benidorm is going," said Tito.

As if by way of confirmation, later that day I had lunch with an old friend, Jorge, at Taita (Calle Primavera 8, +34 965 852 148), one of a new generation of high-class restaurants in the town. Others include El Mesón (Calle Gerona 5, +34 965 858 521), and Rias Baixas (Plaza del Torreó 3, +34 965 855 022), known for its excellent seafood.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...y-new-alicante
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm continues to change

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Interesting article as to whether there is room for the cream and the dregs side by side I am not sure. As an aside like his books too.

Graham
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
As an aside like his books too.

Graham
And me, read most. However looking him up again, I saw one I hadn't read, so ordered it a few hours ago. Not sure whether the article will be to CM's exacting standards, being the British press, but Webster has forgotten more about Spain than he knows!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I've not read Jason Webster's books previously. May just try one out...
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Very difficult to dress up a turd.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article as to whether there is room for the cream and the dregs side by side I am not sure. As an aside like his books too.

Graham
Well it seems to work in Tenerife OK.
I believe Veronicas and associated scruffy areas are still standing despite moves to flatten them from as long ago as I can remember.
Yet not far on either side there have been some top notch 5 star developments which seem to be doing reasonably well also.

As for Jason Webster, I read a couple of his books or chronicles of his early days and contrasting experiences in Spain and found them very interesting, though as a writer I wouldn't rate him as exactly brilliant.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well it seems to work in Tenerife OK.
I believe Veronicas and associated scruffy areas are still standing despite moves to flatten them from as long ago as I can remember.
Yet not far on either side there have been some top notch 5 star developments which seem to be doing reasonably well also.
I do hope that you are proved correct, the people of Benidorm seem to work hard at promoting their town I truly hope that this works for them.

Graham
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope that you are proved correct, the people of Benidorm seem to work hard at promoting their town I truly hope that this works for them.

Graham
Well they seem to have started off ok in a fairly orderly fashion, however by the late seventies the place looked to have gone to the dogs, literally,with huge packs of them roaming the streets everywhere, the place was like a tip and not much sign of law and order and I remember swearing I would never go back again.
Since that time they seem to have got their act together much more and made great strides in cleaning the place up and policing it as best they can, bearing in mind the number of visitors and dodgy characters that the place attracts.
Hopefully things will work out for them on the up-market scene, just as long as they don't get too greedy by overdeveloping, should business pick up again.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I stayed in Benidorm for a week two weeks ago; really enjoyed my stay and found it clean although too British for my liking. But that is my personal taste, and I thought it was quite a reasonable place for the British holiday makers

Davexf (who lives in Chiclana, Costa de la Luz)
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

Frankly it strikes me that there is a lot of snobbery as far as Benidorm is concerned. It has wonderful natural assets in its bay and beaches. More to the point as a casual but regular visitor ( 1 day about three or four times a year) it seems busy in all seasons and like Blackpool in the UK is the most successful resort in its home country. It is nowadays generally clean and well behaved and I see no reason why it will reinvent itself as it has in the past. It may not be where you want to spend your holidays but an all lot of people do holiday there and enjoy it.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I went there Friday night, stayed with friends who visit regularly. It seemed fairly busy to me.

We tend not to go down to the Brit End, but stay around the old town area and the area around the South beach. Theres been a lot of development of the beach walk over the last year and they are presently experimenting with shutting off another section for pedestrians

I wouldnt want to live there, but it's perfectly fine for short breaks and a night out sometimes
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:49 am

Benidorm is more diverse than many people give it credit for. Popular with Brits and Spanish for holidays and caters for all ages. Plenty of shops, great beaches and loads of different entertainment to suit just about ever taste. We used to enjoy visits there both as day trips and staying in a hotel so that we could investigate the wider area. Like Mitz says though we would not want to live there, not for any reason other than I do not like busy places very much so can only take places such as Benidorm in small doses.

Rosemary
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Benidorm is more diverse than many people give it credit for. Popular with Brits and Spanish for holidays and caters for all ages. Plenty of shops, great beaches and loads of different entertainment to suit just about ever taste. We used to enjoy visits there both as day trips and staying in a hotel so that we could investigate the wider area. Like Mitz says though we would not want to live there, not for any reason other than I do not like busy places very much so can only take places such as Benidorm in small doses.

Rosemary
Over the last seven years of short visits I have not noticed great changes in Benidorm, except that the recession has affected it and the strength of the Euro/weakness of Sterling have driven people to more competitive areas, mainly Turkey and eastern Europe. On my most recent visit this March I noticed that the place was busy and that the various cafes along the Levante beach front were competing strongly with one another.
I agree that Benidorm does cater well to various groups and that you can enjoy a very different experience, depending on the area you go to. I am beginning to prefer the Poniente / old town area. Less touts and a more gentle experience. Perhaps age is catching me up?
I think Benidorm will always do well but I would not open a bar there-too much competition!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Changing? In what way?

Oh, you mean Sticky Vicky has given up pulling things out of the box....

And stays home knitting tea cosies...
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:10 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by JLFS
Changing? In what way?

Oh, you mean Sticky Vicky has given up pulling things out of the box....

And stays home knitting tea cosies...
Can't see it myself.
Most tourist spots throughout the world have been building bigger,higher and more up-market accomodation for the past ten or twenty years, so Benidorm is no different to anywhere else in that respect.
As for Sticky Vicky, last I heard her daughter was carrying on where she left off, so no change their either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.