Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benefits (not the welfare system)

Wikiposts

Benefits (not the welfare system)

Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:16 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits (not the welfare system)

I used to get stopped regularly on the Cartama - Churriana road, on the way back from taking my children to school - Why??? because "Paco" one of the guardias liked english cigarettes and would crouch down by the side of my car and have one of MY ciggies lol!!!

Jo xxx
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
That article is over 2 years old and it's about London...not roadblocks! Understandable anyway seeing most of the crime there is black on black.
It's not London, it's the whole of England and Wales and most crime isn't black on black, that's nonsense. It's an example of what can happen when the police have too much power to stop and search randomly, with no grounds for suspicion - their prejudices can influence their actions. If the GC were targeting British expats in the CDS like this I expect you'd be the first to complain!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

This is my last post on your link as usual you are trying to turn an interesting discussion into another what about the UK then thread Even if it were to be true, and it's not, it has no bearing about what is happening in Spain. If the UK were a gestapo like state does it make Spain any better Pretty bad in the Congo too!

The data provide a breakdown of the ethnicity of the 18,091 men and boys who police took action against for a range of violent and sexual offences in London in 2009-10.

They show that among those proceeded against for street crimes, 54 per cent were black; for robbery, 59 per cent; and for gun crimes, 67 per cent. Street crimes include muggings, assault with intent to rob and snatching property.

Just over 12 per cent of London’s 7.5 million population is black, including those of mixed black and white parentage, while 69 per cent is white, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The police figures also show that black men are twice as likely to be victims. They made up 29 per cent of the male victims of gun crime and 24 per cent of the male victims of knife crime.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:46 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
It's not London, it's the whole of England and Wales and most crime isn't black on black, that's nonsense. It's an example of what can happen when the police have too much power to stop and search randomly, with no grounds for suspicion - their prejudices can influence their actions. If the GC were targeting British expats in the CDS like this I expect you'd be the first to complain!
There is a raid on a bank.
The witnesses say the guy was black, had Rastafarian dreadlocks
So the police go out and stop white city gents in suits and bowlers just to keep the figures looking better

most violent crime is X on X, caused by inter-gang arguements.
kids below 10 have been known to be involved in fights etc over a single street "belonging" to them.

It is only when someone is seen as having something that is wanted i.e. mobile or watch or not wanted such as homosexuals etc, that it becomes X on Y.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:38 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
There is a raid on a bank.
The witnesses say the guy was black, had Rastafarian dreadlocks
So the police go out and stop white city gents in suits and bowlers just to keep the figures looking better

... and that happens at airport security in the UK - so as not to be seen targeting "muslim" looking people, they search everyone, therefore wasting resources!!! Muslim isnt a race anyway! As for "stop and searches" for no apparent reason - I couldnt care less if I was searched simply because I was a Brit in Spain or anywhere else - if it keeps the place safe. I have nothing to hide and I get really angry at those so called "do gooders" who think that its an "invasion of human rights" and people are targeted because of their colour or creed - so f****** what????? For every human right given, someone else loses theirs!

Jo xxx
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
... and that happens at airport security in the UK - so as not to be seen targeting "muslim" looking people, they search everyone, therefore wasting resources!!! Muslim isnt a race anyway! As for "stop and searches" for no apparent reason - I couldnt care less if I was searched simply because I was a Brit in Spain or anywhere else - if it keeps the place safe. I have nothing to hide and I get really angry at those so called "do gooders" who think that its an "invasion of human rights" and people are targeted because of their colour or creed - so f****** what????? For every human right given, someone else loses theirs!

Jo xxx
What does a "muslim" look like ?
What does a homosexual or lesbian look like ?

I get more worried about those do-gooders who manage to spend all that time collating the number of stops and searches and giving us the figures to prove "their" mantra that "they" are being unfairly treated.

In Spain many policemen will not stop a RHD/Brit registered car because they know there is going to be hassle with language, understanding etc etc.
But there will always be someone who seems to be able to prove that "we" get unfair treatment.
I have no problem with searching, if it is all fair, but I am distinctly against positive or negative reasons for searches as I am in other walks of life such as employment or education.

However, as Lynnxa said much earlier, I see no benefit in not registering. This is my new home, this is where I live, I take part in local festivities etc and wish to be seen as part of the community.
It has nothing to do with Spain, which is treated by many as another county or region of the UK, allowing them to come and go as they desire. I would have the same attitude in whichever country I lived in.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Benefits (not the welfare system)

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

Jo xxx
Yes, well said. I was pulled 3 times in Spain. They wouldn't have known I was a Brit. The GC were alway pleasant and polite.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, well said. I was pulled 3 times in Spain.
The mind boggles!
To be on the pull-to be trying to find someone to have sex with.
Ditto. They can stop me as often as they want, I have no problem with that. Only ever stopped once in Spain by the Guardia, very good looking female agente did the talking whilst her men friends stood behind with guns. All very pleasant, no problems.

Last edited by agoreira; Mar 27th 2013 at 11:17 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The mind boggles!
To be on the pull-to be trying to find someone to have sex with.
The GC are definitely over-reaching their powers ...
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:24 pm
Banned

I am stuck between 2 languages ie. pigeon English
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I am stuck between 2 languages ie. pigeon English
or more correctly - pidgin English.

[signed, A. Pedant]
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh

[signed, A. Pedant]
Coo!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh

[signed, A. Pedant]
she might be right - have you seen her toes ? ?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of anyone being prosecuted. Know some who have been in Spain 20 years and have never become resident. Still loads of Brit cars too. Perhaps they don't come on forums
Same here.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I've lived here less than 2 years but have been stopped at road blocks 3 times, twice near Alicante and once in Javea, each time I've been in a lhd Spanish registered car accompanied by my Spanish wife. It didn't doesn't bother me at all and my wife who's originally from Madrid but who also lived for many years in Valladolid doesn't find it a big deal she's seen them all her life, according to her it's just the norm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.